main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Galactic Enquirer Newsletter

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Skywalker1138, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Speaking of hosting the meeting...

Should we have it at someone's house (namely mine?) or shall we go for an lunch meeting somewhere like the Chancery? Definetly not Chili's. ;)

2. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Twisty, it's your call this time until I get my new place set up in Whitefish Bay next month. I'd be happy to meet either place (yours or a restaurant/although, it might be easier to hold conversation somewhere quie with space). Even when I do get set up, I have limited seats (a futon and some chairs) so even then if we switch off having meets I'll have to ask people to bring folding chairs if they have any or big pillows.

Everyone interested: bring some ideas and if you have anything already especially (so we can put the 1st newsletter together by sometiems in Fall) BRING IT and we'll see how much we have to work with (or if it's too much, how to slice it or even put some of it into another issue).

I have the idea of getting some regulars (someone who regularly contributes, so we can always count on information coming in after the hype of the "NEWNESS" dies down.) Twisty--do you agree?

Who do we have for July 20th solidly so far? Who's planning on making the meet?

Twisty: what hours of the day do you want to get together so I can plan around it? :)

3. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    How about 11:30AM on July 20th at my house? I've got room for everyone, if you guys don't mind sitting on folding chairs. :)

4. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    All attending:

When: July 20
    Where: TwistyMaeSkywalker's Place
    Time: 11:30 a.m.

...please post!

5. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    FYI, we're having a meeting of the collector's group the same day at 1:30pm at my place...if anyone is interested in coming, you are more than welcome to arrive after the newsletter meeting has ended. PM me for directions.

6. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    PM me for address and directions!

7. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Pushing this up with another idea (care of Skywalker1138)

What if we move the meeting date back to sometime in August?

8. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Skywalker1138, where in the Bay are you moving to? I live on the corner of Bay Ridge and Lexington. :)

9. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    solo414: am moving to Henry Clay a few blocks west of Lake, about 5 blocks east of you. We'll practically be neighbors! But why does your bio on the web say you're from Oshkosh?

Twisty: I think a new date is great considering we need time to find out who's going to be there--let's get some volunteers for submissions--we need to know who's coming if Twisty hosts a meet!

10. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I go to college at UW-Oshkosh, so I'm there for 9 months out of the year. I graduate this year though, so then I'm back in WFB full time. It's SO cool that we're going to be neighbors!!! :D

11. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Up, with a bit of a sidenote:

If we meet sometime in August for just a planning meeting, does anyone have examples of other fan-run newsletters? I've got a copy of InkBlot, which is put out by Fellowship of the Black Spot (which is run out of West Allis) Those things are always good for ideas and what -not- to do.

12. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    I've got newsletters from On The Mark (Mark Hamill's first newsletters) and others. --Shhh... we can do better though!

13. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Time to resurrect this baby with some actual news!

As of today, the newsletter has a name and a publicationd date. The first issue of The Galactic Enquirer (thanks Mauler!) will be released in October. We would love to have people contribute, however, we need a list of people who are willing to do so. As of now, we have a tentative list from this thread, but I'd like a more official one.

Any questions, feel free to PM either me or Jenni, or you can e-mail me at twisty@she-geek.com.

14. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I would like to contribute - though I have no experience with this sort of thing.

Perhaps if we got a list of ideas for articles going...

Are we going to have a meeting?

I will be out of town from the 10th through the 17th, so if we could avoid those dates I would appreciate it.

15. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    What kind of things are you looking for for contributions? I'd like to help with something if I could.

16. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    Twisty and I had a great brainstorming meet last evening.

We have a list of what we need however the first issue will more of a try-out until we get a list of contributors and subscribers.

AFTER the first issue we intend to ask for a small subscriber amount (very small--right now around $1 per issue tentatively).

WANTED:

? Fan Art
    ? Fan Fiction Short Stories (up to 1 page 12 pt. text e-mailed to us until the newsletter someday may become a fanzine and we have more room)
    ? Poetry
    ? Comic Strips
    ? ...more to come in late August/early Sept. (Twisty and I will be negotiating ideas)

...and we'll have SPECIAL INTERESTS once we get going and lots of ideas for these specials (we also would like our President and VP to contribute a paragraph per issue if it can be worked out). We also have an idea for COLUMNS .

If we're lucky and get too much information, the extra will simply overflow into the next quarterly issue.

Once Twisty and I have a good idea of who our regular and semi-regular contributors are we want to host meets as originally planned. This will come in time. Meanwhile, PM Twisty or me, and send your work to one of us (see our Profiles for e-mail).

MTFBWY! (May The Force Be With You)

17. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    I think I'll contribute something as well. What... I'm not yet sure about... :)

18. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    Great! We'll add you to our list: "Interested To Submit". Hope to hear from you soon!

Please send your articles by September 25, 2002, (date of Mark Hamill's and Chris Reeve's birthdays), and let us know soon what you intend to send so we can make room for your article.

I'm posting a tentative due date so that we have something to shoot for here. Dates are subject to change. Heads up: If it changes, the deadline will most likely be earlier than later.

MTFBWY

19. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    During the dates of:
    August 6-16
    &
    August 24-26

I will be out-of-state on business.

Any inquiries and submissions in the newsletter during those dates should be forwarded strictly to TwistyMaeSkywalker. Otherwise I will gladly accept e-mails and PMs too.

20. Red05

Red05 Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2002
    I could do the quarterly weather report.

With some arm twisting, I could also write the Imperial Labor Union update. With commentary on lack of security in the second death star during construction. I'll try not to steal too much from "Clerks."

21. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
  22. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    Red05: the idea of the Imperial Labor Union Update sounds fantastic! As soon as you have anything to submit let us see it please! The weather update would be interesting also. Please contact one of us in PMs and submit your work.

These kind of creative ideas are going to be what makes the newsletter fun!

MTFBWY

23. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    ummm i just had a major idea... kinda.
    what do you guys think of "ACTION FIGURE OD THE MONTH/QUARTER(whatever time frame we're working with)"
    i just think that would be really cool

and umm i might be able to help with that cause i have a vast selection of figures....

maybe?

24. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    Oh, I like that idea. I know I'm not as action-figure savvy as I'd like to be. That would probably be cool.

25. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    I think you have something here--can you give us a more general idea of what you mean though? Do you mean, choose the figure that came out most recently, or simply have a scan of any random figure, or...? If you can give us a description of what you intend to submit, you can definately add to the newsletter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.