main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Greatest of These is Love (vignette, between ANH and ESB) Luke fights for precious survival

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dancing_star, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Title: The Greatest of These is Love
    Time Frame: about two years after ANH
    Characters: Han, Luke, bit of Mara
    Summary: Luke fights for precious survival
    Rating: G
    Disclaimer: I'm just stopping by for a visit to a galaxy far, far away and borrowing some of George Lucas's characters. I also used a quote in here from the Bible.

Author?s Note: George Lucas left us with 3 years in between ANH and ESB that we don?t know too much about.
    That leaves room for all kinds of adventures to be had![face_dancing] My story is just one of the endless possible scenarios. I just hope it?s not too terrible. [face_worried]

The story takes place after a Rebel briefing and dinner banquet. Han and Luke set off on a quick side mission, unaware of the potential danger that is looming.

Also, this vignette was inspired by one of VaderLVR64?s beautiful works, An Exercise in Futility.

Comments are welcome and very much appreciated![face_love]

Okay, bear with me now. I hope this isn?t too terrible. [face_worried]
    Here goes!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Han Solo stared out the Falcon?s viewport into the far reaches of space. With the ship on auto-control for a while, he had time to just sit back and take in his surroundings.

There wasn?t really much to take in, though. Just blackness as far as the eye could see.

And stars.

The bright little spots that spanned the dark vastness also served to give it a twinkle of hope. Without them, there?d be nothing to look at.

Han wasn?t one for hokey superstitions and mulling over philosophical nonsense, but tonight he had sort of a weird feeling, like something bad was going to happen.

Maybe it was just from hanging around Luke. Along with being overwhelmingly idealistic, the kid also had a tendency to believe everything he heard, including superstitions. He was young and naïve and fell completely for all that force nonsense Ben Kenobi fed him.

Oh well though. Pathetically naïve or not, Han still loved the kid. They?d been through a lot in the past two years; bonded so closely that Luke had become like a little brother to him.

Han?s contemplating was suddenly interrupted by the com device beeping. He swiveled in his chair and reached over to flick the switch. ?Hello?? he spoke as static crackled on the machine. Then it fell silent.

Han flipped the switch another time. ?Hello?? he repeated, a little impatiently. This was kind of strange. After a few moments more of waiting, the smuggler shrugged it off and turned back to face the viewport.

He had this phrase that kept randomly playing through his mind. He didn?t know where it had come from, or what it even meant, but it kept coming up. ?The greatest of these is love,? was what it said. Whenever he?d get that bad feeling like something was going to happen, it would start up again.

Maybe, the smuggler decided, he really needed to get some sleep. He had just made up his mind to doze off for a few minutes, when he suddenly felt someone hovering over his shoulder.

?Han?? came Luke?s voice from behind him. It sounded very weak.

Han could sense the exhaustion and fear in the voice and he turned around to look at the source. What he saw immediately made him worry.

Luke was standing there by the cockpit door, one hand across his stomach, the other on the chair in front of him for support. His eyes had a glassy stare to them, which Han quickly recognized as a tell-tale sign of a fever. He started over towards him.

?I don?t f-feel good,? Luke said, shivering and breathing fast. Frightened, he looked up at Han as the smuggler quickly laid a hand across his forehead.

?Good grief, kid. You?re burnin? up.? Han frowned, took his hand from the youth?s head. His concern was growing rapidly. ?What?s wrong with you??

?I don?t know.? Luke swallowed, trying to stop trembling. ?I- I threw up twice.?

?When??

A wave of dizziness swept over Luke, and he leaned more heavily

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Gorgeous! And I'm shocked that my little story helped to inspire this stunning work.
    Wow. [face_blush]

Luke was living proof that the vilest poison in the galaxy could not match the power of love. The darkness of space couldn?t keep a star from shining.

Han carefully got up and carried Luke?s half-asleep form over to the bunk. As he laid the youth down, confident that he would pull through, the phrase came to his mind again.

?And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.?

And this time, it made perfect sense.

The ending was absolutely perfect! Perfect! =D=

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww....that was wonderful

I loved Han encouraging Luke to hang in there.

It's nice to see Mara on-upped for a change

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Mara sure was a mean one in her time, wasn't she? It's a good thing love eventually turned her around, too. :)

5. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    VaderLVR64:
    Gorgeous! And I'm shocked that my little story helped to inspire this stunning work.
    Wow.
    The ending was absolutely perfect! Perfect!

Thank you so much! [:D] Your encouragement really means a lot to me. @};-

KELIA: Awwww....that was wonderful
    I loved Han encouraging Luke to hang in there.
    It's nice to see Mara on-upped for a change
    Great job on this

Thanks very much! [:D] I'm so glad you liked it. :)

PonyTricks: Mara sure was a mean one in her time, wasn't she? It's a good thing love eventually turned her around, too.
    Definately. :) Thanks for reading, PonyTricks! [:D]

6. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    [face_whistling] One "up". [face_mischief] [face_shhh] And that's the only one I'm gonna do on this.
    [face_shame_on_you] Shame on me.
    [face_blush]

7. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    This. Was. Fab

brought tears to my eyes.

8. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    This is beautiful, especially the ending...

I love Han's soft side, and it was nice to see some Imperial Mara.

Awesome.

9. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    palpyisgod2:This. Was. Fab
    brought tears to my eyes.

Wow.[face_blush] Thank you so much! @};-[:D]

___Sithspawn___ :This is beautiful, especially the ending...
    I love Han's soft side, and it was nice to see some Imperial Mara.
    Awesome.

Thanks so much! [:D] You people are making me blush with your nice comments. [face_blush]

Thanks again to everyone for reading and the comments. Much appreciated! [:D]

10. Master_M_Sky

Master_M_Sky Jedi Master star 1

Aug 3, 2006
    LUKE!!! :_|:_|:_|

Oh, gosh, you had me scared there. Sick Lukie is so heartbreaking and terrifying! I feel like crying now.

But it was so beautifully written. Very well done. I love missing moments, and Han was so sweet in this. Mara is so mean! :mad: I'm so glad she comes to her senses later.

Loved it! Very cute.

11. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    Loved it. Wonderful. The Greatest of These is Love is also a line from Alan Jackson's Rember When.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lovely. Lovely. :) :) I love friendship mush pieces. There just aren't enough of them. I especially love it when Han's featured; big old marshmallow pooh bear :* :* :* [face_laugh]

13. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Master_M_Sky:
    LUKE!!!
    Oh, gosh, you had me scared there. Sick Lukie is so heartbreaking and terrifying! I feel like crying now.
    [:D] *hands tissue*
    But it was so beautifully written. Very well done. I love missing moments, and Han was so sweet in this.
    :D I love Han's softer side. [face_love]
    Mara is so mean! I'm so glad she comes to her senses later.
    Me too! :)
    Loved it! Very cute.
    Thank you so much! [:D]

Tatooine_Ghost: Loved it. Wonderful. The Greatest of These is Love is also a line from Alan Jackson's Rember When.
    Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that song.
    Thanks so much, Tatooine_Ghost! [:D]

Jade_eyes: Lovely. Lovely. I love friendship mush pieces.
    Me too! :)
    There just aren't enough of them. I especially love it when Han's featured; big old marshmallow pooh bear
    [face_love] [face_love] I love Han's soft side too! Thanks so so much! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.