main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gusher's Supplemental to the Basher's Sanctuary.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So my question is to you: Could AOTC improve your veiw of TPM?

Doubtful. Whether or not certain scenes like the Tatooine segment, and the Queen's internal struggle with how to rescue her people become more important or meaningful doesn't make them anymore entertaining to watch.

<Duckman's ghost>Actually, the main reason I left was because Bashers keep posting freakin' spoilers!</Duckman's ghost>

What, you mean like Count Dooku really being Yoda's father? Spoilers like that?

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Bizarro Go-Mer: "Let me start off by just saying I didn't think TPM was a total wash..."

Go-Mer: Well, that's a start.

Bizarro Go-Mer: "You have to understand, up until May 1999 I couldn't have even imagined not enjoying a SW film. I was right there in '77 watching that film in the drive in, soaking up all the fun and adventure of ANH, begging my father to take me back every day for a month after that. I remember the day I first saw The Empire Strikes Back vividly. I didn't know they were even going to have a sequel, my mother said the movie she was taking my brother and I to was a surprise. When the titles came up I assumed I was finally going to be able to see the first movie again and was really excited about that, then I realized while reading the opening crawl that it was the next chapter. Then ROTJ came out and of course served up one hell of a final showdown between the forces of good and evil. I waited 16 hours to be at the midnight showing of TPM (8 for tickets, 8 for good seats). I was mingling with fans, enjoying all the crazy costumes people came up with and then the lights dimmed. The Lucasfilm logo came up, the words A long time ago... and BAM the Star Wars logo appeared. I could feel myself choking up and I looked over at my Brother who was like "Hell Yeah!"."

Go-Mer: Wow, me too.

Bizarro Go-Mer: "That's when I focused on the scrolly text about taxation of trade routes? A political demonstration to abolish some shipping tax? I was like, well, okay. Then the Niemodians came on the screen, and the mouth movement didn't even come close to matching the dialogue. Like, isn't this what "digital technology" is for? They can make a dog or cat say anything perfectly in commercials, but they can't do it for a guy in a mask?"

Go-Mer: Didn't the classic trilogy have similar problems with masks? I thought the Niemodians, while not perfect, were a notch above most of the mask work to be found in the classic trilogy. I liked the interaction between Nute and Rune enough that their non-synced lips didn't really take much away from it. I thought it kind of went with the overall style of their accents.

Bizarro Go-Mer: "Still, I rolled along and started to get into the Jedi action. That's when Queen Amidala appeared on the screen. She was monotone to the point of being the living dead. The white face paint didn't do anything to help her lifeless presentation. As a fan of the Professional, I was really looking forward to a strong performance here, but it would seem that they might as well have just used a porcelain doll, it would have been indistinguishable."

Go-Mer: Sure, her performance is very subdued. But it all has to do with the story being told. As an elected Queen, she must appear unflappable, which is why she never really shows her emotional hand so to speak. The monotone adds to this emotional concealment, and also makes the whole "handmaiden switch" tactic work smoother by making the Queen's manner of speaking unique and easy to reproduce by her decoy. I know it would be cool to see some of that trademark "Natalie Sass" but that has more to do with Natalie's past performances than it does with the story being told. I thought her scenes as a handmaiden showed enough of her softer side to help you to imagine the feelings she is repressing as the Queen.

Bizarro Go-Mer: "There is supposedly an invasion going on and I am finding myself dozing off. I say supposedly because there is really little to go on from just the film itself. They say they are being invaded, you see a few shots of tanks entering Theed, then a few more of some people being led off to some supposed concentration camps that we never get to see, and then the film expects us to relate to Amidala's desperate situation."

Go-Mer: Well at least there is enough there for you to make out what was going on. Personally, when I hear "concentration camp", I know going in that it isn't a comfortable situation. There is a lot of exposit

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Jeez, Go_Mer, that was just...creepy. :D

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_shocked]

What was THAT?!

AC, wouldn't you say that was Lynchesque? :)

5. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Why would the pilots stay and fight in the space battle once they realized the droid control ship was shielded anyway.

6. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Brilliant, Go-Mer! I don't know who to root for in that debate :)

7. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "AC, wouldn't you say that was Lynchesque?"

[face_laugh] Yes, definitely! Shades of "Twin Peaks" in that one!

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "Why would the pilots stay and fight in the space battle once they realized the droid control ship was shielded anyway."

Oh, I've addressed that one on my re-write! You must read it now!

Here's the link: www.rubberduckiequacksterquackerwackyduckyduckman.com

:p

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It is kind of spookey isn't it?

The Naboo knew before they even hopped into their ships that the lasers might not penetrate the sheilds, but they had to keep trying, because it was the only way they would be able to defeat the droid army.

10. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Gomer, you should continue to argue on both sides, multiple posts, arguing with your sock... that would be most entertaining. I'll buy the popcorn everyone!

(and seriously, I must say you've given me a new perspective on the "Go-Mer-Tonic" we all love and... uh, love)

11. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    In response to those who wonder why didn't the fighters give up when the shields were impenatrable?

When all seems loss, heroic people fight on. All you need to do is look at WWII for an example. The Polish, very much outgunned, out numbered by the Germans-put up a valiant two week fight against the Nazis.

They knew they couldn't win...but what other choice did they have?

Oh yeah, the French- who pretty much surrendered at once. Except for the French resistance.

12. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    "Victory? We don't even have a word for that in French!" :p

13. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    ElfStar...what's that line from?

14. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    ShaneP, your rewrite was good.