main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE (RoD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 1, 2004.

1. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Do Luke and company have anything to do with Dathomir? If not, then it being in there shouldn't be too big of a slip up.

2. O-B-GATES

O-B-GATES Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
  3. O-B-GATES

Apr 29, 2003
    Mastadge, don't you think you were a bit too harsh on the author? I mean she wrote this book in like 6 weeks if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a bit longer, but that's pretty quick and for the amount of time spent writing it, it's pretty good. I didn't even notice 3/4 of the things you mentioned in your review. I guess I just read the books for fun.

I mean, the stuff you mentioned didn't take away from the story to me, but I'm just one man. :)

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Only six weeks?!

5. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Counting 7 reviews: 43.2/7 = 6.17

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    6 six weeks is a very short time to write the book.

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Have yet to pick this one up, as I haven't even finished TUF, but I must respond to one comment:

Mastadge, don't you think you were a bit too harsh on the author? I mean she wrote this book in like 6 weeks if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a bit longer, but that's pretty quick and for the amount of time spent writing it, it's pretty good.
    This is true. That's an insanely short amount of time in which to write a book. But that has nothing to do with its quality. The author is responsible for not committing to a project which she doesn't feel she can make top-notch in the amount of time she's given. I'm not saying it's not an impressive thing to have done. I write a lot, and I know how hard it is to work that fast. But Just because a book was written in a short time is no reason to cut its author a break.

-Paul

8. O-B-GATES

Apr 29, 2003
    Yeah, but I don't think the book is bad. I've read worse in Star Wars EU. Rogue Planet comes to mind. The Approaching Storm...

Those books were absolutely bor-ring!

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Agreed. And yet publisher editors thought it exciting enough for avid readers?

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Just finished it about an hour ago, and I can say without question that RoD was easily the most generic SW book that Ive personally ever read. The little twist at the end couldnt redeem a book filled with cookie cutter characters and a rather flimsy plot. Overall I think that this book would have been much better suited as a novel for younger readers rather than be grouped in with the usual fare that most of us are familiar with. Ultimately, I didnt find the book to be terribly offensive, but Id recommend that those who havent read it yet skip it, unless youre absolutely dying for an SW fix.

3 / 10

11. Art_Core

Jul 18, 2000
    Counting 8 reviews: 46.2/8 = 5.78

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    With the review average dropping with every review I think I'll skip this one for now.

13. Art_Core

Jul 18, 2000
    I guess the reviews have stopped people from reading this book...

Anyone?

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, I know that wild_karrde just finished it, and he was about as happy with it as I was.

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I stayed out of this thread to A) avoid spoilers and B) so I don't hear what other people think about it.

Overall I liked the book, but I was bored as hell during the prologue. Who the hell is that Inqusitor Trane guy anyways? Where the hell was he for the rest of the book? That man sure as hell was not Finn and Leia? Oh man, I wanted to slit my wrists during that Leia scene in the prologue. When the hell did she get to be in her 20s if the book takes place a year after Yavin?

Other than the opening elements, I came to enjoy Dusque and Tendau a lot. I was dissapointed when Tendau was executed, but at least it was protrayed a good in a good way. It really gave the reader a glimpse into how horrible the Empire was, that it did.

I guess overall I'd give it an 8/10, I liked the ending, though I do admit that some characters appeared just to be there. Since when does an Imperial spy get to know Wedge Antilles? A spy who is not exactly a pilot at that.

8/10

16. Art_Core

Jul 18, 2000
    Counting 9 reviews: 54.2/9 = 6.02

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This must be a new record. . .

18. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'm planning on picking this up pretty soon...along with Survivor's Quest, most likely.

19. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I liked Ruins of Dantooine. I have played SWG for some time and met Leia and the droids at the secret base on Corellia and even visited Dantooine once. As a little scout it was a big adventure for me, to travel across the planet and try to avoid all those wild biests. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't find those parts of the story as boring as others maybe do..

The end of the story was not a big surprise. For me it was soon clear, that Finn had something to hide and it had something to do with the empire. So it wasn't difficult to guess, what that may be.

The great thing about RoD is, that I can visit all those places myself in SWG and that's what I'm going to do in the next days.

8 / 10

Kam

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    EV- Leia is about 18 or 19 during ANH, so she'd be in her 20's at the time of ROD.

Overall I'd give this a 7.5/10- it's not a bad SW book by any stretch, but it's certainly not the best either. However, it's a good start for hopefully a series.

I'll repost my review comments from the ROD thread:

Well, I finally finished ROD last night- all in all, it was a fun read. There's really very little at all to complain about. It had a great adventure feel to it, and the focus on the xenobiologist angle was refreshing. Most of the cameos worked quite well. And you really can't tell it's a video game spin-off, unless you actually play the game (many of the elements people complain about being like a video game aren't even based on the game).

Oh, and Nym, as always, rocks- I can't wait to read about him again in a future book, assuming we get further SWG titles.

Only downside to the title was the somewhat predictable nature of the betrayal at the end, but at least that sets up interesting possibilities for future storylines.

21. O-B-GATES

Apr 29, 2003
    Quest, I liked the adventure feel to the story as well. I don't get why folks don't like this book. I guess it didn't have enough X-wings and enough Thrawn. I dunno...

22. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Meh, I give it a 6. The prologue and the scene with Finn and Vader at the end were the only parts of the book I found above average. It's a pity Inquisitor Redge didn't play a larger role in the story; he was the only new character I found intriguing.

RoD was a little heavy on the cameos. I can understand Luke, Leia, Vader, Nym, and maybe even Lando, but there was no reason to have Han, Wedge, and the droids in there.

I was under the impression that holocrons were only used by the Jedi and the Sith to record Force-related information. How did the Rebellion get one, and why does everyone seem to know what it is?

I also noticed a couple of minor but noticeable errors. How is Leia in her twenties? Wasn't she only eighteen a year before the book? Or has her age in ANH been changed to nineteen? And why does Dusque see C-3POs walking around?

The prose was quite...bland. I often found the sentences rather awkward and cringe-worthy, and I had a hard time believing anyone would actually say some of them.

I didn't expect this book to be exceptional, but I had hoped it would be better than it was. Oh, well. Still a mostly enjoyable read.

EDIT: Er, yeah. What Mastadge said.

Does anyone else LOL when they see "RoD spoilers" in the title of this thread?

I don't get it

Gand humor. *rolls eyes* Pay him no mind. ;)

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 12 reviews: 75.7/12 = 6.31

24. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    These low reviews are really making me consider if it's actually worth the money(which I need for other things too :p ).

25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Hm. I'll probably bring this up once a day or so until Survivor's Quest comes out in a week.