main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Key to what was Wrong

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BellyButton, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I think that some IMO's should start getting attached to statements because it seems as if everyone has become a little thin-skinned. I think that the problem with the original post here is that it seemed to state that there was a problem and that is a fact. IMO

As the topic gets more heated I think that the posts become more and more harsh. Sometimes attacking on a personal nature.

Zeek

Thanks for trying to make this quite civil. :)

2. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    no prob, olsen!

:)

3. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    Yes, I agree - the original post to this thread was outrageously stupid.

Ramred
    I think the problem isn't the age difference per se, it's that the baseline for that difference is a nine year old.

You have to accept that a nine year old's friendship with an "angel" develops over ten years into a fine old lust for a 24 year old. And the gap between AOTC and TPM has to be 10 years presumably because the legal age of consent is 18 (maybe not an issue in SW, but an issue in the USA.)

So much easier, so much better if Anakin was say 14 and Padme was 20, and so now the time lapse between TPM and AOTC could be only 5 years - which personally I find a more credible interval.

Full Circle!

4. GenoSuke

GenoSuke Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2002
    I agree with the original poster. Had Padme and anakin been around the same age a stronger relationship could have been established between them that could more convincingly blossom into the romance in AOTC.
    Unfortunatly well structured story telling hasn't been a strong point in the PT....IMO :)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Five or ten years, the differeneces would be the same. Anakin wouldn't be around Padme. She started to develop feelings almost at the outset. She was taken back by how much he had changed. Both in age and appearence. She was also quite aware of the fact that he was looking at her lustfully. Also she had no problem kissing him the first time at the lake retreat. She broke it off, yes, but she sure took her sweet time about it. And she was growing quite fond of him by the time of the meadow picnic. And more so the next day, when they left for Tatooine. She was starting to fall in love with him, even though they hadn't seen each other in ten years.

To me, I see nothing wrong with a ten year gap.

6. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    it's not the gap that bothered me.
    where was dooku in tpm?
    what happened to poof?
    who's sifo-dyas. when i read the script he was obviously a nickname for sidious. at the last minute lucas changed it to an actual, existing jedi who was on the council at the time of tpm, then died. how did he die?
    couldn't ani and padme have gone to tattooine instead of naboo?
    he's already having nightmares about his mother. he gets a chance to go rescue her, and chooses instead to go to naboo and waste time.
    he could have at least acknowledged that had he come sooner she could have survived.
    why does yoda need to use a lightsaber to defeat dooku?
    can't he beat him with wizardry?
    clones has the shortest saber fight scene of any star wars movie, and there's three separate ones involved.

those are some of my qualms about the story.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin was obeying orders. He was to take Padme back to Naboo. He doesn't want to defy orders, but after that last nightmere, he can no longer ignore his fears. Not that it would've mattered as she would be dead soon. All he did was cause himself problems. He does acknowledge his not going sooner.

Anakin: "I wasn't strong enough to save you."

That means that he felt that he should've known before then, that he had to go back. He saw and felt brief flashes of something in his nightmeres, prior to going back for her.

Yoda and Dooku both knew they were dead even in using the Force. They'd be standing there forever trying to kill each other using it.

Dooku: "We will not be able to settle this with Force skills."

This is why they move on to using Lightsabers to fight each other.

Dooku was on assignment, like all other Jedi in Star Wars. Yarael Poof died during the ten year period.

Sifo-Dyas is dead. Nothing more will be revealed until episode 3, if any. He died before TPM.

Obi-wan: "I thought he died before then?"

8. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    sinister: thank you for responding without condescending.

"Yoda and Dooku both knew they were dead even in using the Force. They'd be standing there forever trying to kill each other using
    it."

yoda has 800 years experience on dooku. he didn't even try to hurt him.

"Dooku: "We will not be able to settle this *contest* with Force skills."

This is why they move on to using Lightsabers to fight each other."

yoda's original response: i have no interest in contests, dooku.
    leaving it out dumbed the scene down a bit for me.

"Dooku was on assignment, like all other Jedi in Star Wars. Yarael Poof died during the ten year period."
    good explanation for dooku, though i don't remember that from the movie. he's quite detached from the first story for such an integral character.
    how did poof die? old age? sidious? fall into a hole? this is a plot hole. it raises too many questions to remove a character without explanation.

"Sifo-Dyas is dead. Nothing more will be revealed until episode 3, if any. He died before TPM."
    so maul killed him?

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Yarael Poof died in a comic book between TPM and AOTC.

10. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    yeah, well owen is kenobi's brother, which means he's cliegg lars's son, and anakin's step-bro.
    so forgive me if i disregard the EU as non-canon and having nothing to do with the movies.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Okay well you seemed concerned about what happend to him. It's not like he was anything more than window dressing in Episode I. To tell you the truth, I am surprised anyone missed him in Episode II. It doesn't need to be addressed, because it doesn't impact the film's storyline in any real way.

12. vadersith23

vadersith23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    i just want to say that i think ever one should go see episode 2 1 or 2 more times. Even if you have watched 3or 5. I needs to cross the 300 million mark. Be a true fan see 1 or 2 more times. I am going to see it for my tenth time tomorow. Only about 2 out of 8 theatres in my area are still playing star wars. I have to drive 30 minutes to see it. The time is running out. It can not be that hard to do. Just see attack of the clones one more time and help it reach the 300 million mark.

13. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    well, what would have been the difference between him and the other guy, shark-fin head? why not have poof jump up on the balcony and get his ass shot down by jango? at least we recognize him. we might even feel something right there. *gasp* oh my god! shot balloon head! you bastards!

14. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Poof looked too much like the Kaminoans. They removed him to avoid confusion. Some people still remembered him from TPM and made the faulty connection anyway, though.

15. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    maybe the kaminoans looked too much like poof. hell, they coulda just made the kaminoans the same type of creature. i made the connection myself.

16. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, that's another debate entirely.

17. kittenmommy

kittenmommy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2001

MexChewie wrote:

I don't ever remember any of Anakin's dialogue ever being said in any other movie. Perhaps it cliche because some of you fanboys are passing around the same list of things to say to girls you like and that's how it's familiar.

LOL!!

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Poof was already dead by the time AOTC rolls around.

Even if you don't aknowledge EU.

19. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    well, if i choose to disregard the eu i could easily assume that poof took a sabbatical. :p

20. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    "those are some of my qualms about the story."

It seems you didn't like it because Lucas didn't hand you exactly what you wanted on a silver platter. You went in wanting certain things, and when you didn't get it exactly the way you wanted it, you disliked it. That's the whole problem. You go in accepting what the director gives you, giving it a fair chance. Either you like it or don't. But you don't dislike it because the filmmaker didn't give you the story exactly the way you imagined it. That's the way I see it, correctly or incorrectly.

21. Darth_Poutine

Darth_Poutine Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2002
    poof was removed because the kids might have confused him with kamonians

22. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    well, if i choose to disregard the eu i could easily assume that poof took a sabbatical.

Yeas, but you wanted to know what happened to Poof. It's not important to the story. Poof didn't say anything, he didn't do anything except sit with his head swaying from side to side. If anyone really cares why he's not in AOTC, they can read the EU. It provides an answer. If you don't like it, fine, but don't expect another one.

yoda has 800 years experience on dooku. he didn't even try to hurt him.

"A Jedi uses the Force for defense, never for attack."

Straight from the man himself.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Did you know that Poof and Gasgano the pod racer are of the same species (well from different planets, but the same species).

You can easily tell them apart from the Kaminoins because they have a second set of arms.

24. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Exactly! And discussing the "dicey acting, lousy dialoge, contrived plot points, and ridiculous situations" isn't necessarily the same thing as "bashing".

When you talk about how it ruined the movie and do nothing BUT complain, then I'd call it bashing.

I think it's ridiculous that whenever people bring up valid problems with the movies, they're shouted down or told they're too stupid to understand the movies.

You've been treated a lot more courteously than that. People explained things to you and you laughed at them and called their explanations ridiculous.

25. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Well, remember how much was cut from AOTC? There were allot of missing sceans that many people say would have helped the film. If TPM had Anakin older, we could have heard his opinion of dictatorships, and his relationship with Padme could have been developed, which could have given AOTC more time to add those sceans, or other things. That is just a small example, but hey.

Actually I dont really care. AOTC was as good as it could be, in a few small ways, given TPM. AOTC was a prety good Star Wars film, IMHO comparable to the OT. Given the frame work of TPM, and what had to be done, AOTC did almost everything well. Although tacky, i accepted that Anakin and Padme loved each other. That IMHO is a good job.

However, does anyone disagree that the PT could be better if Lucas wrote all 3 at once (just wrote, not actually make them all at once like LOTR)? Then lots of little details could be important, like the Gapor (sp) snippit, or other little things. Sifo-Days could have been hinted at, clones could have been mentioned, ect. However, I think that the saga is doing ok given that it is being written on the fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.