main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Hurrah

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    You're real lucky you made that nice edit in time, just as I was reporting to a moderator the fact that you were slamming my religious beliefs. I don't "worship moonflowers"--not that it's any of your business.

I am assuming, given that most of the moderators here are fair people, that slamming another religion would not be OK if slamming Christianity is not.

As for the rest of your inflammatory post--I'm ignoring it. I'll let a moderator decide what to do.

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I was discussing this whole issue with my mother, and she provided an interesting analogy.

Think about if Josh threw a party in his basement and invited everyone to come. However, he sets a few ground rules. For example, no alcohol would be allowed at the party. You are only allowed in the basement (and maybe the upstairs bathroom, if the downstairs one is occupied). He also decides to limit the music to oldies.

Now, a group of partiers decide that they want to get drunk at this party. Do they have the right to demand that they can drink whatever they want in Josh's basement? Do they have the right to demand that Josh give them beer or otherwise help them get drunk? Not at all.

Does Josh have the right to demand that they leave if they do not abide by his rules? Heck, yes.

The partiers can ask if it would be ok to change the music. They could even ask if they could bring some beer for everyone (who wants it at least). However, if Josh says no, they have no right to try to force him to change his mind. It is still his party and his basement.

I fail to see how any of that would change just because the party is online instead of in his basement.

Kimball Kinnison

3. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    So you deny that arguing over a moot point for many many months on a Star Wars website is a not so intelligent thing?

You have no choice. It's not your bloody website.

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    As for the rest of your inflammatory post--I'm ignoring it. I'll let a moderator decide what to do.

I'll step in with this, as a message for everyone.

We will keep this civil on all sides. That means no more personal swipes at people, but it also means no more accusations at others. Not everything is or needs to be a personal attack. If you can't keep your posts polite and non-accusatory, either don't post it, or be prepared to take a vacation.

Kimball Kinnison

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "I don't think it is insulting to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to suggest that they might be gay. It's far more insulting to suggest that Obi-Wan might sleep with Padme."

LFL disagrees with you. Furthermore, a legal action or lawsuit from them on this topic for be far more damaging, and have more basis, than one from you. Besides, any line drawn will be arbitrary, and LFL, being the copyright holder, has more of a basis to draw that line wherever they wish. This is the reality of the situation.

"This is not the last website on the internet, and it boggles why it's so important for this to happen here"

Agreed. TF.n cannot and never will be the "one-stop shop" for 100% of all SW fans.

"I was reporting to a moderator the fact that you were slamming my religious beliefs."

Make sure you let them know that you are slamming Josh's also. ;)

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Make sure you let them know that you are slamming Josh's also.

And got smacked for it last night--which was my point.

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    BTW, KK, your mom sounds like a wise woman. :)

(Did she ever let you have parties with alcohol? :p )

8. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Well, reading though the various articles posted here about the legality of fan fiction....I'm seeing Josh's point. We all know LFL watches this site - evidenced by the removal of spoilers, etc. IF LFL has shut down sites before because of slash stories, I can understand him not wanting to take the chance. I don't know if this is his modivation or not.

9. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    You talk about this stuff with your mom?

10. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? I'm looking for the website that talks about Star Wars.

Very amusing, since what we're trying to accomplish is more talk about Star Wars through fan fiction.

So we can write and post a fic with a Padme/Jar Jar relationship?

Yes, and give me a few hours and being rid of my gag reflex, I could probably find you some.

I am wondering why a mod hasn't locked this thread yet.

Because there hasn't been anything in it to warrant a ban?

Why aren't religious reasons valid?

That's what he believes.

Delightful. So why hasn't he pointed to them in his reasons? Why hasn't he said "the Bible says they're wrong and I beleve in the Bible"?

Someone tell me why when I go out to have a life this thread always jumps two pages? Not one, not three, but always two? Boggles the mind.

11. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    So why hasn't he pointed to them in his reasons? Why hasn't he said "the Bible says they're wrong and I beleve in the Bible"?

Would you really accept that? I doubt it.

12. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I would. Why? Because it's a bloody straight forward reason.

13. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I can't think of any Padme/Jar Jar on the JC, but I have seen it elsewhere. :p

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Someone tell me why when I go out to have a life this thread always jumps two pages? Not one, not three, but always two? Boggles the mind.

That'll teach you! :p

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Because it's a bloody straight forward reason.

But you continually point out that you refuted his last straight forward reason. Why would this one be different?

Amazing.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm on .20 a minute time so for those wondering about my comment re: OC's (original characters) we had (so I though) had hashed this out in the WRF some time ago and on the earlier pages of this thread you'll find what was at the time the 'acceptible standard' for homosexual/bisexual characters.... (Stupid Windows XP and it's corrupted data start ups)

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well after reading the Political Correctness Manifesto that is this thread, I have to say that about the only 'theory' that I can actually side with, 100%, is the "beating a dead horse" route...

That said, I have no problem defacing an animal's corpse, so here are my shots...

If Josh, who maintains this site, chooses to ban ANYTHING at all, it is his complete right to do so, even if he chooses not to justify his motives AT ALL.

IF he chose to 'blame it' on anything, it his right to do so. YOU just happen to know that his beliefs don't line up, completely, with your little stance and so you choose to use that as your 'motive' in your deductive reasoning. He could choose to say anything, or peg it on anyONE, but even if he didn't, who cares?

If you don't like the way he decorates his house, stop inviting yourself over.

The 'logoff' icon is just to the right of your username. Nobody is forcing you to stay here and subject yourself to the 'closedminded tyranny' of the JC. It's nice to see so many people passionate about something substantial, but idealism and realism don't always meet in the middle and call truces. If you choose to argue your case, to death, and cry about all of the proposed injustices and bigotry on here while NOT being the person who foots the bill for the site and does the work to maintain it, well I wish you the best of luck on your next doomed crusade.

As an aside, all of these desperate potshots at religions/faiths as an attempt to get your way is just embarrasing to your cause. This being about 'being gay' is not the point. If I chose to start spamming the hell out of fanfic threads with "black power" stories featuring Lando or Panaka, I'd be banned in seconds... or any other ridiculous 'stance' for that matter.

It's touching to see that you want to have some sort of socio-political philosophy to march on behalf of, but other people's sites that you have the PRIVELEGE of posting on are not the best places to grandstand.

So... sorry that you're broken hearted that a site that attracts kids isn't willing to go out on the line and let fetishists post masochist/bondage tales about Padme's handmaidens, but, the truth is that Josh can do whatever he pleases. He can ban whoever he pleases. And we can't do a damn thing about it.

Just in case you were looking for that escape route from this fascist site, again...

'logoff' is directly to the right of your username...

And just in case you didn't know, 'sex' sites aren't really TOO hard to come by on the internet. ;)

Best of luck with the resistance movement.

FIGHT THE POWER! [face_laugh]

18. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Well said, MyKe1138.

19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Delightful. So why hasn't he pointed to them in his reasons? Why hasn't he said "the Bible says they're wrong and I beleve in the Bible"?"

He need not. You post here at his convenience.

Besides, no reason he gives will be sufficient. It's a lose-lose situation.

"Someone tell me why when I go out to have a life this thread always jumps two pages? Not one, not three, but always two? Boggles the mind."

You'd probably be equally perplexed if there were no activity.

"But you continually point out that you refuted his last straight forward reason. Why would this one be different? "

Because it's not a RECENT bloody straight forward reason. [face_laugh]

I keep seeing this situation...
    Liz_Skywalker: Are we there yet?

Josh: No

Of course, the real irony is, while both people are riding the same vehicle (TF.n), they are heading in completely opposite directions. Unfortunately for Liz, there's only one steering wheel, and no one likes a backseat driver.

BTW, well said, MyKe1138! :D

20. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Gang, this has been a good conversation and I appreciate and have read most all of the comments. After talking with Sapient tonight and seeeing some of the particulary good posts here in the final few pages, I think the time has come for this to be tabled for now.

The staff stands by the original decision that has been made previously.

Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.