main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Maguffin/Driving force of the TV series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Obi-Ish_Kenobi_2005, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I hope the TV show will be in the style of a comic ongoing like Dark Horse's Republic and Empire, with arcs developing particular characters covering varying numbers of episodes (a bunch of mini-series then I guess) and a few one shots thrown in every now and again to create further variety.

Different types of stories and also different ways of telling the stories would result in multiple Macguffin devices.

I think that, at least visually, it will resemble Dark Horse's Dark Times series, and like that excellent series have a main story following a fugitive Jedi who falls in with a gang of smugglers/other group of colourful and alien characters.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    No please not like Dark Times. They are always delayed!

3. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003

How would starting the Rebel Alliance with Organa and Mothma's first meeting be a "retcon" of the first major victory. The statement first major victory, implys that there were other SMALLER victories earlier in the timeline.

Also, as I said before, how do you explain the former Rebel Base on Dantooine that Leia mentioned in A New Hope. Unless someone can explain that away, Dantooine is proof that the Rebel Alliance existed long before A New Hope.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Good point. I hadn't thought about Dantooine. [face_thinking]

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Doesn't the opening crawl to ANH confirm that the Alliance existed and was fighting against the Empire before the events of Episode IV? I am quite certain that it does. I am hopeful that Dantooine will play some role in the series. I am just unsure what the driving force of the series will be. Will it be the formation of the Alliance or will it be the survival of some of the Jedi? I just have no clue...but Dantooine is intriguing.

6. Emperor Pinguin

Emperor Pinguin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2000
    Being from Holland I grew up with stories of the Dutch resistance in WOII. Although the "first major victory" was after five years of occupation by the Germans, a lot of small battles where fought and won or lost.

Back to fiction....

Seems to me that a rebellion can exist even without winning major battles. Resisting against the Empire (in the Senate) much like the Seperatists against the Republic.

From day one of the Empire, systems will rebellion against it. Seeing how the Troopers gain power of most planets/systems, shutting down all droid factories and the Empire gaining control of all, it would be hard to have any victory at all. Things take time, even in SF....

EP

7. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo*

MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2000
    The droids, R2 in particular are/is the macguffin of Star Wars and should be used as such in the TV Series.

8. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Willy-Wonka-nobi Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2004
    I understand your argument about smaller victories and stuff beforehand, but I think you misunderstood my post. I am actually sort of agreeing with you. To me it makes sense that the rebellion has been around for awhile in at least some form. But it would also be a very disappointing series, IMO, if we followed the story of a Rebel Alliance that don't win any "major victories" for like 18 years.

The problem that The2ndQuest pointed out is that is the established continuity in the EU basically says that the Rebellion hadn't been around for very long before ANH, and those writers based that off of the "first major victory" line in the opening crawl. That was the point of my comment about an informal rebellion existing long before the formal "Rebel Alliance." The name itself implies that before, different rebelling systems weren't working together in any organized fashion.

That was my point about retcon. "First Major Victory" doesn't have to mean the first victory EVER, just since they have formally declared themselves "The Rebel Alliance." That way everybody wins. In the series, we will still get to see some semblance of a rebellion that can have victories both MAJOR and minor ;) and it doesn't really mess with the established continuity much.

As far as the Rebel base on Dantooine, I do think that lends some credence to your argument, but it could be the same kind of thing. The base could be an older base from some of these smaller earlier rebellions, not the Rebel Alliance. Or the base could be only a couple of years old, like the Alliance, but it had to be abandoned for any number reasons that a writer could invent!

9. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    I doubt seriously we will see R2 or Threepio in the series. If they chose to use a maguffin, it will most likely be something or someone hopefully very different. The SW universe so badly needs be expanded again.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think R2 and 3PO will be in it at some point, but I don't think they will have a major role and I don't think they will drive the series. But I do think they will have a cameo at some point.

11. BlackPool

Mar 29, 2000
    I doubt it because the droids are so closely tied to the Skywalker storyline. Lucas said that story's done and so I don't think we will see any of the characters that were more then casually involved in the movies.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well my reasoning for the droids being in one episode, a minor characters, is that Anthony Daniels has been involved with every Star Wars project, thus far (even if its just providing his voice for cartoons) and its become something of a tradition now.

If the very last episode goes right up to just before the opening of ANH (dealing with the Rebels stealing the death star plans from the Empire) There may be some scope to ease the droids into the last few minutes of that episode?

13. BlackPool

Mar 29, 2000
    Hmmm...possibly.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I see your still not ken on the idea! [face_laugh]

15. BlackPool

Mar 29, 2000
    I'm just skeptical just as with everything else going on with this project. That said, I do think it would be awesome to see Captain Antilles be in one of the stories where we get to fallow him along in an adventure flying around in the familiar Blockade Runner with the droids in tow. I can think of nothing that would better bring back that old SW feeling. Especially if he gets to wear one of those white helmets. I always thought those helmets looked so cool. :)

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, it'd be awesome to re-visit the Tantive again, especially if it was the last episode of the whole show.[face_dancing]

17. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I hear what yer sayin, but the droids can be in this part of the story too, don't forget, Captain Antilles gets them at the end of ROTS and in ANH 3PO does state "our last master was Captain Antilles" so....{deep breath}

If the series does have Bail in it, there is no reason why the droids could not be in it also, although George has stated that no major characters are in it so who knows!?! [face_hypnotized] [face_thinking]

18. ChozenOne

ChozenOne Jedi Master

Sep 20, 2004
    I think that the droids are main characters but I'm not sure if GL does. I think I read somewhere (but can't remember where for the life of me) that he pretty much considers main characters to be Anakin/Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine. Thats it. So if this is true then this series could contain just about every character from the entire saga.

19. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Willy-Wonka-nobi Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2004
    sweet! so we could see the Lando Calrissian adventures! ... Just kidding...

20. Andurias79

Andurias79 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2007
    Well, I second the Idea of different rebel groups in the first years of the Empire. Of course one of that groups lead by Bail Organa or Mon Mothma is the basic of the further Rebel Alliance. But dont forget to se up a rebellion you need a hand of good and strong leaders that are able to unite the different groups. That can be a long way. You need money and supply. And of course before the success there are also defeats.

21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Now that we know that the Death Star construction had begun back in Ep3, maybe "the first rebel victory" of finding the blueprints actually happens 18 years before Ep4. Which is followed by an 18 year odyssey of all sorts of people trying to deliver them, Tag & Bink style! [face_whistling][face_beatup]

I think Firefly might actually be a good model - an outlaw crew being stuck with some special guy (a Jedi) who's wanted by the Empire and thus has lots of bounty hunters (especially Boba Fett) in tow. Oh, wait - I think the KOTOR comics are actually a much better comparison, as it doesn't raise any "Joss Whedon is my new master" discussion... I'd watch that.

"You've been waiting three and a half years for this - the first season finale!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.