main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub **The New Official Yoda Fanclub** The Swamp Stew is our ally, and a powerful ally it is!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Rainbow Knight Star, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not easy being green.

2. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I had to fill out some paperwork recently and where they asked what I was I marked out white and wrote beige above it. At least with green you don't have to write forest, sage,hunter, spring ect.

Pensivia and Frank T. like this.
  3. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Edit: actually just found this :p

should have found it earlier

[​IMG]

4. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I knew you couldn't leave.

Frank T. likes this.
  5. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Check again, Lea

6. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I found something to talk about :p

Lea-El and Frank T. like this.
  7. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    And why should Yoda try to write,
    Of all my kind yet known
    And puzzle, yes, by day, by night,
    All by myself, alone?
    Are there not poets yet enough,
    Their books sold by the score?
    So, why, then, share my thoughts on love,
    My feelings to outpour?

Who would kiss Yoda? Hmm, I ask...
    Who would caress his ears?
    Yet are such things too hard a task,
    So full of morbid fears?
    No female Yoda have I seen!
    Our kind almost extinct...
    I cannot write what has not been,
    Such lies will not be inked...

It's Yoda, here, a truthful soul
    And lonely, too, at home,
    But think of all that self-control,
    With no more need to roam...
    But Yoda knows what Yoda knows,
    Yes, Yoda's not a fool,
    Not taken in by fragrant rose,
    Or once in love to drool...

Yes, Yoda's pleased with Yoda now,
    Content, tranquil and calm,
    Serene inside, no frown on brow,
    No lady on his arm...
    Just lonely sometimes, now and then,
    Admit it, yes, I do,
    But rather would I count to ten
    Than blurt out, I love you!

So Yoda needs no poetry,
    No pretty prose to share,
    To entertain humanity,
    All feelings thus laid bare...
    So you write poems in my stead!
    Sell poems if you can!
    I think that if I stay in bed
    Sounds like a perfect plan!

Denis Martindale

Pensivia and Rainbow Knight Star like this.
  8. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Hello, fellow Yoda fans.

Attention, please.

On September 13, 2014, I will leave the place I now live to go to school. I will have two days to get unpacked and settled in my home away from home. Then, on Monday, September 15, classes begin. Yea!

Since my life will be quite busy for the next few months, I am officially handing over the reins of leadership to our fantastic and fabulous Vice President, Frank T./Flora Frank/Stinker.

[face_laugh]

I know he will do an awesome job.

:)

Bail B. Baobab, Frank T. and Pensivia like this.
  9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    How exciting, Rainbow Knight Star! Just a month and a half until you begin this new chapter in your life!:)

Cool poem Rabs..."Who would kiss Yoda?"...well, I would!...on his wrinkly forehead:p

10. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    *Accepts the reins*

First thing I'd like to say is everybody remember that there is no why.:D

11. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Congrats to Frank, too!

12. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought this was my punishment[face_dunno]

13. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Frank T. I thought you liked being in charge. Besides, you can always come up with some awesome Yoda topics.

:D

14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    All hail Frank T.!

AHFT!

Jedi Knight Fett and Frank T. like this.
  15. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    "I must be Frank"
    [​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    How did we not see this coming?

17. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    It's too late now.

18. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    As Bail instructed:

All hail T! :D Congrats. You'll do a bang-up job.

Frank T. and Pensivia like this.
  19. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Just don't bang up the thread too much, Frank:p

20. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll just make you cover up the dents and scratches with gifs, Pen

21. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    So... about the epic duel in the Senate:

I'm just curious. What do you fine people consider the truth? Do you envision the duel as described in the novel, or as shown in the movie? I guess what I'm asking is... what's your personal canon?

The novel clearly describes Sidious as superior to Yoda in saber combat. Your thoughts?

Also, I always had trouble accepting Yoda's defeat in the movie. I needed more of an explanation.
    - Presently, I accept the novel's rationale. Especially the important fact that Yoda has a vision of the future during the battle. Supposedly, this vision gave him new insight on the fate of the galaxy. Anyone have a theory as to what Yoda observed?

Between the film and the book, there are many other differences to that particularly crucial scene. Please feel free to discuss them. However, I believe the two facts I mentioned should get the ball rolling.

Thank you for your time. :)

22. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Interesting topic, Blue (just tryin' that nickname for you out...we'll see if I stick with it!...)

Maybe Iron_lord would be interested in participating in this topic (?), as he is a great expert on all the novelizations (and seems to have a lot of key chunks of relevant text readily available to share in posts, especially for those of us who are not familiar with the novels...[face_batting] :D )

So, as I said, I've never read the novel version, but the elements you mentioned sound interesting. As far as my own personal reaction to the film scene, I would say that I had mixed thoughts/feelings on Yoda's "defeat" and power relative to Palpy's. On the one hand, I hated to think of Yoda as not as powerful as Sidious, but then actually I would say that the "Lost Missions" Yoda arc eps of TCW added to my thoughts on/interpretation of Yoda's defeat. I can elaborate but don't want to spoil those eps for you if you haven't seen them and are planning to...so let me know if you would you like me to bring those into this topic as well?

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is the quote people are thinking of:

There came a turning point in the clash of the light against the dark.
    It did not come from a flash of lightning or slash of energy blade, though there were these in plenty; it did not come from a flying kick or a surgically precise punch, though these were traded, too.
    It came as the battle shifted from the holding office to the great Chancellor's Podium; it came as the hydraulic lift beneath the Podium raised it on its tower of durasteel a hundred meters and more, so that it became a laserpoint of battle flaring at the focus of the vast emptiness of the Senate Arena; it came as the Force and the podium's controls ripped delegation pods free of the curving walls and made of them hammers, battering rams, catapult stones crashing and crushing against each other in a rolling thunder-roar that echoed the Senate's cheers for the galaxy's new Emperor.
    It came when the avatar of light resolved into the lineage of the Jedi; when the lineage of the Jedi refined into one single Jedi.
    It came when Yoda found himself alone against the dark.
    In that lightning-speared tornado of feet and fists and blades and bashing machines, his vision finally pierced the darkness that had clouded the Force.
    Finally, he saw the truth.
    This truth: that he, the avatar of light, Supreme Master of the Jedi Order, the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known...
    just--
    didn't--
    have it.
    He'd never had it. He had lost before he started.
    He had lost before he was born.
    The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.
    They had become new.
    While the Jedi--
    The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to refight the last war.
    The new Sith could not be destroyed with a lightsaber; they could not be burned away by any torch of the Force. The brighter the light, the darker their shadow. How could one win a war against the dark, when the war itself had become the dark's own weapon?
    He knew, at that instant, that this insight held the hope of the galaxy. But if he fell here, that hope would die with him.
    Hmmm, Yoda thought. A problem this is ...

I've noticed that some Dorling Kindersley movie tie-in books take the tack that, while they're roughly equal in power, ultimately Yoda was bested by Sidious - it wasn't purely a case of luck in that last clash before Yoda fell to the floor of the Senate.

24. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks so much for posting that, Iron_lord! It will be very helpful to the discussion to have the exact passage here to refer to. I've gotta run at the moment but will return later to read and comment:)

And in the meantime, maybe some additional YFC'ers will be by to chime in...

25. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi Penny. :) I notice many people put the word 'defeat' in quotations. Was Yoda actually defeated? I'm not so sure after reading the novel. The insight he acquires during the epic duel is obviously crucial to the future of the galaxy. So I must say, the movie is far more enjoyable after reading the novelization. I never understood why Yoda flees, especially due to the fact that he felt Sidious must be eradicated. Now it makes sense to me. Yoda's decision to flee in order to preserve his newfound insight is acceptable IMO.

I had a problem with thinking of Yoda as less powerful than Sidious too. However, only because it wasn't explained. The novel clears this issue up for me. Good call referring to the Yoda arc of Season 6. Those episodes altered my viewpoint as well. It's fine with me if you'd like to bring those shows into the discussion. Perhaps we could use spoiler tags for those who have yet to see them.