main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Dra--- and Knessa84 like this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Turns out, Tarkin is still one of the best villains in SW. He seems more ruthless than Vader or Palpatine.

Thank goodness Tarkin didn't have Force powers.

Hey...that's what we need -- a Tarkin with Force powers.

Lots of Force choking and heart explosions with a Sith Tarkin.

3. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Two opinion articles that beg to differ:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/04/letter-kathryn-bigelow-zero-dark-thirty

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/25/zero-dark-thirty-cia-oscars

To quote from the second article, "
    That's particularly true when the film creates itself as a servant to political power: by itself, the CIA's heavy (and still unexamined) involvement in this film is a significant and disturbing development. The last thing America needs is more ways to celebrate and glorify US militarism, and the second-to-last thing it needs is Hollywood devoting its multi-million-dollar budgets and emotionally and psychologically manipulative tactics to propagating the CIA worldview as indisputable, inspiring truth. It's a very good thing that all of this did not go unnoticed or rewarded."

Immortiss and my kind of scum like this.
  4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I wonder how many planets Tarkin would have blown up given the chance???[face_devil]

plaidphoenix and Dra--- like this.
  5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    As many as it took. He was a cruel pragmatist.

plaidphoenix and starocean90 like this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    "Meh, I don't like the color green (for a planet), prepare to fire the Death Star"[face_devil]

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It's possible, if in charge, he might begin to exhibit a pure sociopathy. But I still see his cruelty serving his pragmatism in ANH. Or the opposite.

starocean90 likes this.
  8. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I have always seen Tarkin as the central villain of ANH if you see the one film in isolation. Vader is just the muscle. What makes Vader more prominent is the fact that the conflict with him is more personal - he has (so far as we know at this stage) killed Luke's dad, bears at least partial responsibility for the death of Beru and Lars and later kills Obi-Wan. It is interesting that neither Luke nor Kenobi meet, nor have any communications whatsoever, with Tarkin.

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I always felt in the long run he might have tried a coup.[face_devil]

Dra--- likes this.
  10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Just as a (preemptive) note: some of us don't have the Disney Xd app, so no spoilers for the Tarkin episode in this thread, please. Thanks!

Immortiss and starocean90 like this.
  11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    we were discussing Tarkin in IV.;)

12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Just a friendly note. I hear this next one is a biggie, so any new info on Tarkin might seem relevant to any current discussions. Just trying to avoid all spoilers. :D

starocean90 likes this.
  13. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Couldn't agree more, I always thought of Tarkin as the main bad guy of ANH too, it's only the subsequent movies that changed this perspective.

Darth PJ, Jcuk and Echo Base like this.
  14. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Heck just in the latest episode of Rebels, Tarkin's presence is amazing. Made the Inquisitor and Agent Kallus look like complete wimps. I have no doubt that if Tarkin would have survived till after Jedi he would have taken the mantle of Emperor without hesitation.

On a side note Mr. Stephen Stanton was live on the Star Wars Underworld chat last night and I got to tell the man himself, that his role, playing Tarkin in Rebels was amazing. He said thank you and proceeded on being super cool. Made my whole night.

VMeran and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, but his overconfidence was his weakness or somesuch...

Immortiss likes this.
  16. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Hubris usually is for those strong character types.

17. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014

I don't want to derail the thread so this is the last thing I'll say about it, but if people actually watched the movie they would know that at the end the main character realizes that all the torture caused so much false and conflicting information to come out that the truth was buried behind the bureaucracy for years. It isn't torture that gets them the info they need.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not at all.

We barely saw any of the galaxy in the OT. Did Cloud City look run down? No. Do you think Coruscant looked any different than in thousands of year during the OT?

We went to worlds largely barren of any civilization and only with low tech or no tech planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Yavin and the like. They weren't run down. The Rebels equipment was run down to some degree but not all as seen in ROTJ.

Was Geonosis some pleasure planet? Hardly. Do you think Naboo looks all that different in the OT time. The flashes around the galaxy at the end of ROTJ show that it was not.

The mind boggles at the people who think Tatooine looks too clean in TPM and AOTC. ROFL!

sizziano, L110 and VMeran like this.
  19. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    I think I can try to divide the main actors' characters into four basic groups here:

The Luke Group: Basically, the ones who are sent into this whole mess, and the man tying everything together. These guys have no stakes in this but their own lives and the galaxy at hand, so they're just along for the ride.

Finn
    Rey
    Han
    Chewie
    Luke

The New Republic, the Old Rebellion: The ones trying to clean up house in the aftermath of Endor, from Rebel Pilots to Political Leaders

Poe
    Kylo
    Leia
    C3PO (Just along with Leia)
    R2-D2 (Ditto here)

The Empire: The remnants trying to keep the dieing Empire intact.

Finn's Boss (Unsure if this is the same character as the Head Inquisitor, who may also be GC's character and may or may not be force sensitive)
    DG's character (May be playing both sides)

The Sith Reborn: The few surviving Sith and their apprentices

Serkis's Character (Trailer narrator)
    Kylo Ren, the apprentice

Unknown Affiliation
    MvS's character, could be anyone from a friendly guide to a Sith Lord.

20. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Right, but I'm not debating merits or dumb things about the Jedi Code. I'm saying that if Luke sticks to the old Code, then he will follow those rules. No marriage, relationships, etc. If he changes the rules, and I hope he does, it will have to be addressed and explained in the movie.

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    [face_laugh];)

Dra--- likes this.
  22. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    :rolleyes:That place

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    what place are you referring to???[face_devil]

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wait...so that suggests that Tarkin is the cyborg? lolwut.

I buy less than one word of that article. Sounds like they took all the recent rumors and tried to force them into a storyline that they like. :oops:

Darth Chiznuk , T-R- and starocean90 like this.
  25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's why I posted it, doesn't hurt to have a laugh.[face_laugh][face_devil]

turnip white and Revanfan1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.