main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA The Newsletter

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Aztek, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I know people are working on it and I know that I offered to come up with something for it.

But..... I am having a complete mental blank everytime I try and write something.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me

:)

2. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I was thinking of writing a stoned ramble for it :)

3. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    That'll come in handy dude, will any straight people know what your talking about though ?

I would love to write something....... Ideas please people ?

4. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    At one of the recent meets I think it was decided to put the newsletter on hold for a while since we have more important things to get on with at the moment.

5. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Like what, nothing is happening as far as I know.

In fact nothing has really happened since I joined.

6. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    I was just wondering, if we don't have a newsletter, the people that join with us that DON'T have access to the web how are they suppose to know whats coming up?

If there's NO newsletter whats the point in putting up POSTERS to attract new members and then they find out that they MUST have the net. Just a thought. :)

7. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Weren't "high-up-there" people's mobile numbers put on the poster? Like the Pres and the Sechetary? They could find out that way, until we have the newsletter...

8. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Oh yeah they can talk to these people and get joined up and all. But who's gonna ring them and let them know about meets. Unless they don't mind calling themselves. I don't know what people will want or mind doing.

9. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    One idea that's been discussed is to have an email mailing list. For people with no email, they can be on a phone list to be notified about meets. The club in QLD have a system like that.

10. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Why just e-mail? I know P.O.G.S (Perth Order of Gothic Societies) was thinking of doing a snail-mail drop thing... It didn't go through, but it's still a good plan. When people sign up, get their home addresses as well as phone numbers and e-mail addresses, of course they have the option of which one they want to give, but as long as there is one method of contact, then that's good...

Anyway, I couldn't sleep last night and I came up with an idea for the newsletter... I don't know if it has been thought of before, but if it has then I apologise... But anyway, here's my idea.

In the back of the newsletter have an "Outer Rim Calendar of Events". I was thinking about what Soulie said somewhere about irregular meets. P.O.G.S had their meets once every fortnight. I thought that was a bit much, but I was thinking, why not hold the official meetings the first weekend of the month and the last meeting of the month. Planned meetings well in advance. Just pick whether they should be on Friday's, Saturday's or Sunday's. They can be written into the calendar to let potential members know when we hold our meetings. Also, if something important comes up during the middle of the month, then we can continue with the voting system of when to have the meetings.

Another thing to add to the calendar would be generic Star Wars trivia. The obvious dates of the upcoming movies, but also Georgie-boy's birthday etc. If we can find out when the stars of Star Wars were born etc, add that to the calendar. Also, when the first ever movie was released... Anything Star Wars related...

Anyway, I think that's enough rambling for the moment... I don't think I've written that much anywhere but in the Bitchin' Box... :D

11. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Yeah thats all good for the newsletter. Same lines I was thinking of. May I add to that slightly, thanks here I go.

It could feature reviews. Like if a new star wars game, computer or card game came out. I don't mind writing ones for computer games. :) The calander should be standard on every newsletter (different months of course thou)......

I know I had more to say, I just forgot just then... damn! Anyway most of my ideas came out of the blockbuster newsletter, heh. :D

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I like the idea of having meets at regular intervals. That would save the usuall stuffing around with deciding on a date and people not knowing when it's on. People could keep it free well in advance or advise the club pres in advance if they can't make it.

13. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    It should be no trouble for me to contribute a regular cartoon ... I've done comics before.

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Aztek how about an editorial type thing, like "How AotC is a sucky name for Ep2, but George could call it the Wicket and Jarjar cuddle movie and everyone would still flock to see it" or a short story type thing?

I've got a couple of timelines planned.. EU books, comics etc, and maybe a bit of a review of the RPG stuff with maybe a short rundown on where the current game story is at.

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I've never tried a editorial piece, may give it a crack, as long as you are willing to proof read for me Griz ?

Is StinkyJawa a member of OR by the way ?

16. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't think he's a paid member yet (I think he plans on changing that when he has more funds) though he has been to a lot of club meets.
    Once Episode II comes out you'll probably have plenty of material for editorial pieces. I remember all the debates that went on usenet after TPM came out. No matter how good or bad it is, you can guarantee that there'll be a lot of heated debates. The beauty of an editorial is that you can say whatever you like without getting immediataly flamed for it like you do on places like alt.fan.starwars. ;)

17. Loadeddog

Loadeddog Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    All submissions welcome

18. SithLeia

SithLeia Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 2001
    please don't say we have to suck up to the newsletter editor..... ;)

19. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    SithLeia, I'm willing to for you to make any sacrifice...

20. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I'm sure the Editor is too :)

JA I'll proof read your editorial too if you want :)

21. SithLeia

SithLeia Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 2001
    uh huh ...
    Yes griz what the editor wants and what the editor gets is two different things :D

22. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I seem to remember volunteering to do something for it but I can't remember what. A crossword or something.

23. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Thanks Griz, I actually have something in mind already, will let you know as soon as it is complete.

LD - Where do I send my submissions ?

24. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    *blip*

I mean...

*bump*

25. Loadeddog

Loadeddog Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    you can send submissions to
    nexus1@iinet.net.au