main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'Clone War' reaction thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnnyboyVT, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2000
    I really dig those attack ship things that are shooting in the land battle.

2. Rhif_Rhaf

Rhif_Rhaf Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I grew up with Star Wars and all its offshoots. If you consider that this franchise is what, 25 years old?...we live in a much different world than what existed when A New Hope debuted. Many fans now are a spoiled, computer-savy, jaded and cynical lot. We've seen it all and are rarely impressed. The most sophisticated video game out in '77 was Pong (get your parents to explain it). So when the AOTC trailer unfolds, half of us are saying, "I was so disappointed (whine)" Face it, SW has grown up and evolved exactly as it should have. I'm not talking about acting, dialogue and content. Do you really expect these films to win praise for Best Actor, etc at the Oscars?I mean visuals, action sequences and the overall feel. I realize that Lucas may never capture the mood and majesty of TESB any more than I can relive that theatrical experience. The new trailer looks great and the movie will follow suit; it may very well be the worthy successor to TESB we've been waiting for. Want to know why there's so much negativity about SW after ROTJ? The explosion of home video and the internet. Give people the ability to study something indefinitely and they'll find fault with it. And sharing bad opinions is certainly more entertaining in some people's minds than sharing good. I for one will enjoy AOTC for what it is to me: a creative and visually stunning space saga.

3. Silent_Assassin

Silent_Assassin Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Here, here! Well said Rhif_Rhaf!

But you don't really have to worry. In spite of all the criticism and pet peeves that we might have with the movie, we're still going to go to the theater and have a great time, because at the end of the day, they are fun movies. Being Star Wars fans, I don't think it's possible for even the most critical ones to not smile once during the movie. And in the end, that's what it's all about.

4. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

I just realized after watching the trailer again, that I'm going to have big a problem with AOTC in the theatres. That film is too gosh darn exciting!! I found my self leaping out of my seat and cheering the jedi on. (Watching on a big screen t.v. makes all the difference. :cool: ) How the heck am I ever going to able to sit still in the theatres? I'm afraid that I might get kicked out half way through when Obi-wan is giving his report via hologram and then suddenly... "WAIT!" (snap-hiss). Oh. my god! Whatever am I going to do?! HELP ME, YOUR MY ONLY HOPE!!

5. Kenneth-Morgan

Kenneth-Morgan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2000
    My reaction to the new trailer? To quote Tom Baker, "Well, I'M impressed!"

Now I have to go see "Ice Age" to get the full effect.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    D'ya think enough people are going to go to "Ice Age" and see it? Not just kids, but 'casual' movie fans who remember disliking TPM but don't go on the Internet looking for trailers?

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think Ice Age will get a significant boost in attendence from the star wars trailer, although it will see a little bit of an increase. Hopefully Ice Age will be as good as they say it is and the STar Wars trailer will just be a great bonus.

8. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    It's a good trailer, allright.

But it seems some of us have to remember that it's only bits and pieces of the movie.

Lines are out of context, so you can't really tell if theyre poorly or well delivered.

Dame for those massive shots.
    Most of them look like establishing shots to me.
    You can't really tell much about acting, visuals and pacing from a trailer cut together from cool lines and establishing shots.

9. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Does Yoda say `Danger, you are' to Anakin?

10. TheCaptain

TheCaptain Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 1999
    Well I'd have to say that this trailer reveals the true nature of the movie. As mentioned previously the TPM trailer gave you the impression of an entirely different movie. This one appears to give you a good feel of the way things are going to run.

It looks great but I fear George may be trying to do a little to much again. Padme & Anakin love story, Anakin's demise, Clone Wars....If they follow along with the main theme (the clone wars) then that'll be cool but they are too fragmented then I fear it could end up a mish mash of events like TPM.

However Im not going to pre judge ATOC to much. Personally I think the whole thing looks pretty good, maybe a little bit to busy in the CG department. What I mean by that is it appears that we are going to be absolutely beaten to death by grand visuals. In my book less is usually more, but I guess we all just have to wait and see. Either way I can't wait to see it.

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Pozzi, the official site says that Padme's life is in danger during the film so there's your answer.

Actually, there are still many things that the Clone War trailer did not not touch upon. So for those who haven't been spoiled by accident, you're in for some surprises. ;)

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Oh ok. :)

I thought it was Anakin, and Yoda was telling him in no uncertain terms that he was a danager to others.

13. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    I think I agree most with TheCaptain's response, above. The trailer is plenty exciting, and now we get a glimpse of the non-romance side of the movie. But there *is* an awful lot action. I also hope George hasn't tried to tackle too much in one movie, again.

All that said, I'm even more psyched for May 16th than I was before!

14. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Now that some time has passed since I first saw the trailer, I have a disconcerting thought.

I thought it was so cool when I saw Anakin fighting with two lightsabres. Now, however, I almost feel like it would have been better if I hadn't seen him doing that.

How cool would it have been to see him pick up a second sabre in the middle of a fight (and be surprised by it)?

-Patches

15. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Ah, there are still plenty of things during the duel left to surprise you. I think Anakin using two sabers is really nothing major in comparison. :)

16. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Rhif_Rhaf, excellent post. Well done.

17. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Wow, after seeing Clone War in theatres, I noticed a whole bunch more detail in the scenes. Very awesome!!

18. metalgearrx

metalgearrx Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I posted this earlier in the Spoiler Forum:

Hey everybody. I just saw Ice Age at the AMC Theatre here at Manhattan, New York. The showing I went to (the 5:15 show) used digital projection technology from Texas Instruments--precisely the machines Lucasfilm hopes theatres have by the time AOTC comes out.

So, anyway, they showed the E.T. Anniversary Edition trailer first, then the Hey Arnold Movie, and then a Dreamworks animated film about a horse (Stallion, or something like that). Of course, they saved the best for last and showed the "Clone War" trailer.

Since the projector was DIGITAL, the images on screen looked absolutely amazing and pristine. I thought that perhaps they wouldn't look as good on the big screen as it does on Quicktime, but I was wrong; you can clearly see Palpatine's aging face, Yoda's realistic mannerisms, and, most importantly, nearly everything looked real! Plus, the sound was great. Not surprisingly, the end of the trailer was followed by "oohs" and "ahhs" and a cheerful applause.

And here's an added bonus: Ice Age which, as you know, is a completely computer animated film, looked stupendous.

So, here's the bottom line: AOTC will not disappoint in the special effects department. I can't wait!

19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Cool! Thanks for that. :)

But Australia has no digital projectors. :(

20. metalgearrx

Mar 10, 2002
    I posted this earlier in the Spoiler Forum and again in this Forum, but for some reason it's not showing up. I'll post it again:

Hey everybody. I just saw Ice Age at the AMC Theatre here at Manhattan, New York (Time Square). The showing I went to (the 5:15 show) used digital projection technology from Texas Instruments--precisely the machines Lucasfilm hopes theatres have by the time AOTC comes out.

So, anyway, they showed the E.T. Anniversary Edition trailer first, then the Hey Arnold Movie, and then a Dreamworks animated film about a horse (Stallion, or something). Of course, they saved the best for last and showed the "Clone War" trailer.

Since the projector was DIGITAL, the images on screen looked absolutely amazing and pristine. I thought that perhaps they wouldn't look as good on the big screen as it does on Quicktime, but I was wrong; you can clearly see Palpatine's wrinkles, Yoda's life-like face, and, most importantly, nearly everything looked real! Plus, the sound was great. Not surprisingly, the end of the trailer was followed by "oohs" and "ahhs" and a cheerful applause.

And here's an added bonus: Ice Age which, as you know, is a completely computer animated film, looked stupendous.

So, here's the bottom line: AOTC whill not disappoint in the special effects department. I can't wait!

21. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    Sweet, I'll be seeing it at the Ziegfeld in New York City this summer! Go digital!

22. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Er... metalgearrx, you've posted almost the same thing only two posts above your last one in this thread. :)

23. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Yes... I guess so. But it didn't show up the first time for me either.

24. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Snowboard strikes again.

ALSO, does anyone think you can glut yourself on the trailers too much and ruin the film?

25. metalgearrx

Mar 10, 2002
    Oh, sorry. My first post didn't show up initially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.