main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his sobriety, which, eventually, of course, he did..."

2. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    I have to admit, i was expecting the whole Sidious creeps into his masters bedroom as he sleeps and rams a lightsaber through his chest, not an actual attack by lightning.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Given the booze angle, Sidious should've killed him when he went to pee.
    ;)

4. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Since Ep3 I always figured he used an old fashioned knife, lightsaber is too loud.

How many times have we actually seen someone getting killed just by Force Lightning (and not falling out of a window)?

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Palpatine instantly killed a few Jedi with lightning alone in Empire's End. Also, a few times in TOR.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, alright, finally finished this one. I had devoured the first two sections pretty quickly upon release, but only had time to nibble my way through the final section due to RL time constraints. But, finally finished.

And, well, this is a damn masterpiece for the EU. I am amazed at how well it has brought together the various pre-TPM standalone stories into a singular plan/arc (and not just the obvious ones like COD & DM:SH, but even stuff like Acts of War). And, later in the book, it's awesome to not only get the other side of certain conversations and scenes, but also events that were off-screen/between the scenes in TPM itself.

From an EU perspective, you also get some delicious nerdgasms when you get the bearers of key names in the future Empire gathered in one place: Sienar, Tarkin, Pestage, Kinman, etc.

Developing history only suggested previously (such as Ronhar Kim) and tying in new stuff (the Yinchori as the original clone army candidates!)

Also, kinda fun that the book outrought uses the phrases "Phantom Menace" & "Revenge of the Sith" in dialogue.

The book also ties in old SW draft theories that were had for the prequels, such as Palpatine's first name being Cos (as in Cos Da****)- even though here it's actually his father's name, but, still, we ended up with Cos Palpatine. [face_laugh]

Along those lines, towards the end, there was the comment "The rim faction will flock to you, in the hope of being able to manipulate you." which nicely evokes a concept in the prologue to the SW novelization.

Also interesting that Luceno effectively wrote the forging of the Seppie alliances here and in COD, but also wrote Mace Windu's dissessembly/investigation of them in LOE.

From the one interview, it's also funny that this book's cancellation was the result of the exact opposite of the reasons we suspected: we all thought it was because it was touching too much on Palpatine, yet in fact it was because it wasn't touching enough on Palpatine.

And, in that regard, as someone who was very much against developing Palpatine's backstory, I'm actually mostly pleased with what was done here: the vast majority of Palpatine's "screentime" is his political rise, which is in fitting with what we already knew.

I'm less enthusiastic about the whole House Palpatine familycide "I hate my father and my father hates me" subplot, which seems a little too simple/cliched. But, it's over fast enough, and leads to the far more interesting scenes of Plagueis and Palpatine discussing it's aftermath.

Other than that, I'm still baffled by Luceno's sudden thesaurus orgy- it's intersting at times, but since it's not tied to a specific POV, it feels a little out of place given how it connects with other works that don't go so far with their vocabulary, and I think that might be discouraging to some readers (particularly younger ones) and make a more difficult barrier for thme to overcome to experience this key entry in the EU.

It's not insurmountable but just a little overkill, I suppose.

Also, it has the odd future POV of the prose that speaks of events far beyond TPM which (when combined with the broad span of time it covers and the number of other stories it summarizes/spoils) adds up to a more confusing "where do I out it on the shelf" timeline question, as I brought up a few weeks ago earlier in this thread.

Still, wow.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that little tidbit. I thought it was a bit much, but clever at the same time.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A real shame he couldn't fit in the AOTC for the trifecta. I mean, if you're gonna do it, might as well go all the way, right?

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anakin Skywalker was killed only by Force-lightning.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Also Revan. We do see an apparent lightning-only kill in Darth Plagueis, but it's not the death of Plagueis.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, though the one in Revan was a bit of an odd case.

A few others I thought of (I may be misremembering a few of these): Haazen killing a few people instantly with lightning in KOTOR, the rakatan killing a young boy with lightning in Dawn of the Jedi, Bane killing a few assassins with lightning in Dynasty of Evil, Palpatine instantly killing a ton of people in the first issue of Empire, and Luke killing Vong instantly in The Unifying Force (though that might not be considered lightning).

There's also Kyle Katarn and Jaden killing instantly with lightning in their respective games.

12. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    So what killed Windu? The lightning or the fall?

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Neither. A speeder hit him on the way down [face_liarliar]

14. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Palps crushed his heart with a Force Crush when he was falling down.

15. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009

so not epic anymore.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Pfffft. I'm Spanish and self-taught, and didn't have any issues with the vocabulary used. These new readers need to man up. :p

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

Yessir. And, as hard & fast as possible while yer at it.;)

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, they just need the dictionary app on their iphone/itouch to reference while reading ;).

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    As a one who learnt more English words from books and movies than schoolbooks during high school, I have to say that I skipped many words in this novel, thinking "well, if it's important, it'll come back later". It reminded me of the first book I ever read in English, Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay. When I read that one (I was 15 and hadn't yet learnt that much English) I kept thinking "What is this 'Shall' word? Is it like more interesting 'will'? Well, I'll suppose so. Let's continue."

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Where is that from? The last note on Windu's fate in the novel was that "he fell forever".

21. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    Oh believe me Mace Windu did not die. He fell, checked. Got electrocuted, checked. But never shown what happened to him next. He will appear in future issues, just like how Maul is back. I shall be waiting.

22. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    That, i can believe.

23. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Anyone else catch the Doctor Zhivago reference in Ch.10?

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I still can't get over the fact that there's a chapter named for a Doors song.[face_hypnotized]:p

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Why?

Didn't they warn us that Plagueis was a mystic?
    :p