main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Indeed.

More Hirams, please.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You say silly I say Star Wars

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    That or the Taung were always just a little strange ;)

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Well humanity on Earth considers itself advanced and proto-spacefaring... and I still would wield a Sword over any gun there is! Nobody can take my swords away!

PS: V for Vendetta and TWD proof why guns are worthless but a good blade is not.

5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009

No, a movie. Something like 300, showing over-the-top and ridiculous battle scenes with mythological creatures. This professor could then write an IU review of it pointing out all the errors.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Not to mention Raiders of the Lost Ark.

...oh.

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    As I said I have a problem with them being the primary weapons, not that they exist. Those sort of weapons are useful in many situations and it is cool to see them still being used. I have no problem with fantasy elements in the stories, I actually enjoy them quite a bit, I just want a little balance with sci-fi.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But the problem is that lately too much sci-fi have created unbalance in the Star Wars space opera

LelalMekha likes this.
  9. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Oh don't get me wrong, I do enjoy that as well. The best world building isn't being fixated on a single thing but rather everything concerning the civilization. So, historical events, beliefs etc etc are all the best things to see. Though in this case, I would definitely like to see more about the other military units since it was a book about military stuff and don't expect wider stuff to feature in the material unless it was relevant. Like whether their belief system involved glorifying warfare or things like that. On the latest cut content, the thing about the Sun Guard adds to the world building since it shows their historical development and their methodology in combat which is nice.

All in all, I am quite enjoying reading about this cut content. If anything, it makes me want another Warfare guide now :p The New Essential Guide to Warfare! Followed by the New New Essential Guide to Warfare.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    well.. would you put your hand into the fire for that... ah wait you already did, damn! ;)

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty confident that 200,000 years isn't enough time to go from the Core to the Outer Rim going below the speed of light. So they'd have to have at least a primitive form of FTL travel.

edit: Well, I guess they could, but they'd have to find a way to propel themselves to a significant fraction of the speed of light without using magic hyperdrive technology. Which means they basically would have had to invent a whole other set of magic technologies.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Corellia trilogy, we get a ballpark figure of 2 months to travel 1 light-week at sublight speeds (3 months for a slower ship, like the Gentleman Caller.)

So - that would be 1/8 the speed of light.

At that speed, a ship travelling for 200,000 years would go 25,000 light years. Possibly just enough to go from somewhere in the Core to the part of the Outer Rim nearest it.

edit edit ;)
    I've looked at The Essential Atlas- and using 1 square = 6,000 light years (since the galaxy's 20 squares wide, and supposed to be 120,000 light years wide in at least one book) Mandalore looks to be just over 4 squares away from Coruscant (which would be 24,000 light years)
    So- if they were somehow able to build sublight engines on a par with "modern" ones- then getting from Coruscant to Mandalore at sublight in 200,000 years is not too unfeasible.

13. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I would contend that in some situations and aspects of the SW verse it is quite the opposite, but to each his own.

Nice to have the calculated distance on the potential Mandalore trip, though I would hope some slower FTL was used instead, especially since it looks like they settled on Roon first before 7,000 BBY.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  16. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

Really great stuff, thanks for the link. Never knew about Christopher Lee being in the war. I have to check the SW blog more often.

17. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I always wondered how the Taung got off Coruscant at that point in history.

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [
    In an similar way to this guy? ;)

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and CeiranHarmony like this.
  19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    He wasn't just in the war ...

There's a lot you probably didn't know about Christopher Lee. (Language most assuredly NSFW.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...holy crap. I'd quote things that I found were amazing, but I'd have to quote the entire thing.

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It doesn't even include my favorite anecdote about him:

Nobody145, JackG, Cynical_Ben and 8 others like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There aren't enough likes for that. Geez, I'd never even been a Christopher Lee fan before. I feel like such a bandwagoner now :p

edit: Naturally being a knight twice over and being the son of a countess is my favorite part, though. The stuff about being a special forces dude, a master fencer and golfer are nice too, but not quite the same!

darthscott3457 likes this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    How do people keep not knowing about how amazing Christopher Lee is? He's the guy The Most Interesting Man in the World wants to grow up to be.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Because he's not constantly going on about how great he is? Which, of course, makes him all the more cooler.

Plaristes likes this.
  25. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Great, they deleted all the comments on the Blog posts and replaced them by some stupid social media plugin.