main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    a Force users who is a musician
    [​IMG]

A sith playing the piano

2. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Gamiel: I wonder how that instrument works, since I don't see any strings on it.
    I never knew Weird Al did a Star Wars song.
    I was thinking more along the lines of this for "Sith Lord piano duets"

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Who says he was supposed to be that? That was the role he played in Episode I, but that doesn't mean there weren't more layers to his character that were unexplored. And what you're presenting is a false dilemma; you already have the best of both worlds. If you want to see him as a mindless attack dog, just watch Episode I. If you want to see him transcend that role and prove his worth as a Dark Lord of the Sith, watch TCW.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    You can also read the EU produced around Episode I with him in that role. But it kind of diminishes what a "Sith Lord" is if they can be a prideful Terminator without any depth or ambition, which was essentially the EU's early take on the character. It's kind of implied by being a Sith Lord that Maul would have ambition because it's central to the selfishness of the Sith -- it's kind of ironic that people interpreted the movie which introduced the Rule of Two for the Sith as having an apprentice Sith who was all about selfless service to his master with no ambition to supplant him.

purplerain likes this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I think the reason that the EU made Maul "a Terminator" is his lack of dialogue. The EU thought that no dialogue = no personality, desires, ambitions, etc.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Maul's ambition is irrelevant, since it was simply never realized, because he died before he could properly demonstrate such ambition.

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Do go on....

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Barriss_Coffee and Zeta1127 like this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Can he be a Terminator with depth? I'm for Maul having depth, but I wouldn't dismiss the "Sith Terminator" role he played early on. If every Sith has to be a manipulator working to off his master right away, isn't that a little homogenous? I think it's a little more interesting to play with the concept of a Sith drilled in loyalty to his Master, with the dueling understanding that he has to surpass his Master but also serve him, to play with the idea that, at this early stage in his development as a Sith Lord, Maul is content to remain the loyal assistant while he learns and grows, and is putting off making his move until later. I think that's interesting, and it's probably more realistic, and more to Maul's credit, than having every twentysomething Sith upstart thinking they're going to knock off their Master tomorrow if they can just get the right plan together. I like the idea of Maul as the guy who's content with the current arrangement, knowing that someday the time to make his move will eventually come, and it'll be even better with his contentment to camouflage it.

I agree that there has to be that depth underlying the character, because Maul as pure servile attack dog makes him too thin a character and doesn't do justice to the Sith . . . but I think that the Terminator, the attack dog, is an interesting and unique archetype that's worth playing with rather than throwing away in the name of a "complexity" that renders all Sith ultimately interchangeable variations on the same type. So "he's the Terminator now, but someday . . ." works for me, and I think that's honestly the tack the EU tended to take when it got into him with any depth; it's just that a lot of material skimmed more along the surface, where it couldn't really say anything about him one way or the other.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It seems to have tangents and maybe it also is projecting a magnetic field around the sound hole that Tionne is caressing, like a theremin, or it could be that the artist forgot to give it strings[face_dunno]

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I think this is basically what he ended up being, thanks to TCW. Maul only started plotting against Palpatine in earnest when he rose from the grave and discovered he'd been replaced and the Clone War had started without him. It's one of the ways the TCW arc used Maul's apparent "death" to the advantage of the story.

13. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting article.

......but have there never been any starship races in star wars? It seems a basic enough sci-fi idea that it should have popped up somewhere in the 20/30 years that the franchise has been around.

15. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    The Blockade Runners' Derby on Ord Mantell springs to mind. We also have belt-runner races at Lando's Folly. I imagine asteroid field races are pretty common in other places too.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Messiah did the EU steal your lunch money when you were a kid bro?

Maul was basically taught to be a living weapon in the EU, of course Sidious wasn't going to keep him around forever, if he survived he'd swap him with Anakin same way he did Dooku and no difference would happen.
    This contradicts absolutely nothing and your just digging for things to blame the EU for.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Han & Salla were running the Kessel Run together as a race a few times, in Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy.

That's more "informal racing" though.

Force Smuggler and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    One of the ships the New Republic used to chase the Teljkon vagabond was a converted "racer".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Prinawe_racer

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    There's a starship race mentioned in an old WEG sourcebook -- I remember it was one of the particular challenges in making Atlas systems fit together.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pfft starship races. How lowbrow.

The Spira Regatta is more my speed. No pun intended.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Halagad_Ventor and MercenaryAce like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I shudder to imagine what TCW must have done to you as a kid. I'm so sorry.

22. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Great stuff.
    I wonder if there's such thing as a Galactic Olympics? The disparity between different sentient species would be a problem though.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, only Greeks (and tyrannical emperors) could compete in the original games...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Palpatine pole vaulting?

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    He's more into equestrian events.

[​IMG]