main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Perfect Weapon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthSienna, Nov 23, 2015.

1. DarthSienna

DarthSienna Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2011
    So I just finished reading Delilah S. Dawson's The Perfect Weapon. I liked it. My initial thoughts are that, aside from a few glaring typos, it was well-constructed and engaging. Minor spoiler ahead.

So... a lot of references to the New Republic as contemporary to the story.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, but when does the story take place?

3. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I haven't started it but the timeline at the beginning puts it between NR: Bloodline and TFA.

4. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I just finished the story. It was pretty good overall. Although I was kind of hoping for more references to the state of the galaxy as a whole.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  5. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    What does everyone think
    is in the box?
    I think
    it might be Luke's lightsaber or maybe Vader's helmet.

StarWarsFan1997 likes this.
  6. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Hi all. Long time lurker here (years...literally), but I thought it would be fun to get involved in the conversations.

I was only able to read the first chapter on my lunch break, but holy cow I already love the writing. It sucked me in the way Stackpole's X-Wing books used to. Here's to hoping this author gets a chance to write a full-length post-ROTJ novel next.

starfish likes this.
  7. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Can't say I am surprised.

JJ Abrams outright described the Resistance as a splinter faction in one interview. It wasn't hard to guess what they were a splinter faction of. ;)

I am guessing a couple of years prior to the events of TFA at most just based on what I have read so far. Might only be a few months prior.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Huh, so this means Jello is going to hate everybody?

9. DarthSienna

May 27, 2011
    Perhaps.

I believe J.J.has also described the First Order as an Imperial remnant. So maybe the New Republic will not/cannot take action against the FO... Yet.

10. DarthSienna

May 27, 2011
    There wasn't much storywise to date it, but we do know from the timeline that it takes place some time in the 6 year gap between New Republic: Bloodlines and The Force Awakens. I don't believe Bazine is much younger than her TFA appearance, though.

I'm not sure what's in the case, but why an Endor. Stormtrooper vet have the Skywalker saber?

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wow this was a weird story. Rarely does a SW tale intentionally raise more questions than provide explanations. And I think it worked in its favor.

The only real explanation this story gave was how she got her shirt. It didn't even give her real name (which apparently is not "Bazine Netal"... huh. Why would an orphan hide her name?)

As to the box: Vader's helmet makes the most sense, but what else could be found on Endor? Vader's glove? Because Luke had his own lightsaber at Vader's funeral pyre. Unless it's Vader's I guess.

12. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I felt like it was a well-written and entertaining little tale. Definitely left you with some interesting questions.

13. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Another interesting tidbit from this story: Echani are canon again.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hm, I think I like that and the story sounds really intriguing.

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I think they were mentioned in Aftermath. Wendig made a ton of KOTOR references.

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Technically, a martial art called Echani was mentioned, not the Echani themselves.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  17. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Just checked my library. Can't find the e-book there. Where are you folks finding it?

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    It just came out yesterday, so they might have a little delay. With all the new Star Wars stuff coming out right now, it's possible they might also have missed it (I've noticed these short stories seem to be flying under the radar on a lot of book websites...)

19. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I got it through Amazon and it was on my Kindle the day it released. Don't know about other services.

Regarding the story itself... I liked it a lot! For such a short tale, it does a great job fleshing out its three main characters and building an engaging plot. I think it's now my favorite new canon short story, and top five overall.

Bazine is an excellent main character. I don't think I've ever actually seen a character who wears high heels because they're functional. But she's resourceful and completely no-nonsense... And not nearly as cold as she thinks she is.

Personality-wise, Orri kind of strikes me as a grown-up Ezra Bridger. I'm on board with that. I like his dynamic with Bazine and I'd read more of their adventures.

Yeah, this was a great little story and I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a quick read. It doesn't really expand the universe much, it's very self-contained, but it's a lot of fun.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Quick question for those who have read it already: is Bazine just a human with weird fashion choices, or is she a near-human?

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    She's human. Her choice in fashion has to do with her back story.
    She had been burned on a mission when she was 14

22. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I liked the story and characters a lot, hopefully we'll get more short stories of similar quality going forward.
    Regarding the ending, not sure how close to Ep 7 the story is set but my immediate thoughts were 'oh no' in that I just had a mental image of Vader's helmet being in the box and Bazine dying when she delivers it to whichever of the First Order goons it was who sent her on the mission. Which would be a shame as I'd like to see some more of the character.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think all of these stories are essentially about background characters in the film - kind of a preemptive "Tales From Jakku" thing or whatever - so that's unlikely.

Though her buyers are very likely the First Order, yes.

24. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Well from what I'd read in the press regarding this short story pre-release the character of Bazine should appear in TFA, obviously in a small role so I was thinking she delivers the helmet and is killed off as a loose end, obviously I hope I'm wrong :).

25. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Good story, I really liked it. However I did not like the main character. I get that she was suppose to be cold, but it was too much for me. I don't know if they were trying to make her seem like a "strong" character, but she just came off as a jerk to me, and had not changed by the end. The Pantoran was cool, hope to see more of him, but the main girl I could care less about. I really think her character could have been better by the end. :/ Just my opinion though.

Sarge and LelalMekha like this.