main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The post-TUF Jedi and their biggest problems

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Like realistically, when you think about it, the amount of bribes, favors, murders, and just plain character derailment it would take for Daala to become Chief of State is mind-boggling.

Oh and I agree with Ackbar's Fishsticks in that after NJO it seems that Del Rey just decided to keep going with galaxy shattering wars, instead of scaling things back and allowing a period of growth and recovery to set in, wherein we see the GA solidify it's place in the galaxy, new interactions between it and the Remnant, the leftover tech and scars from the Vong War, along with our heroes doing what Luke wanted them to do and finding their own places in the galaxy. (Whether that be strictly serving the Order, hunting pirates, being a queen, working with the military, etc.)

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    There were three guys on Fey'lya's advisory council that didn't like the Jedi. They didn't have a majority. The Jedi were unfettered by the government. Fyor Rodan ran for CoS on an anti-Jedi platform and lost. The only anti-Jedi action was taken by the Peace Brigade, but they were YV collaborators, so it isn't as though they wouldn't betray New Republic military either.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wasn't Fey'Lya's advisory council of 6, so 3 plus Fey'lya equals a majority of 4 over 3, it'd be logical to see those 3 anti-Jedi Senators as representing a significantly larger group that Fey'Lya has to take heed of. If it's just 3 guys, what makes them so special as to be there at all?

As is brought up often, Rodan was a very popular candidate for CoS too, so I don't think it can be said the Senate anti-Jedi feeling wasn't there. Nor would there even being actual procedures in place prevent political pot-stirring. Which is arguably why DW's High Council has NR senate and military reps in place.

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    And? There was no actual anti-Jedi laws passed and the Jedi were free to do their vigilante action that those guys complained about. No one ever stopped them. So?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, in other words a major plot point of NJO is just all smoke and actually doesn't matter then?

The whole point of someone being in a position of Senatorial authority is that they can act to do something they see as a problem, if they convince enough others to do so. We don't have Luke in VP simply seeing those 3 as just 3 Senators, but as representative of a larger group both he and Fey'lya need to take account of, that they do have a point. If all they're going to do is bitch about the Jedi but not actually pass any measures to rein them in, what's the point?

If nothing happened why did Rodan's points to Luke matter at all? Why was the High Council, set up in the way that it was? In part to blunt the anti-Jedi crowd, to give what most of them wanted and sever the more extreme from the bulk of their support.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It came up when the Jedi wanted help evacuating Yavin 4 and Borsk couldn't do it politically, and in Destiny's Way when there was an election.

Why does the high council even matter since Denning dumped it immediately like he did everything else to shape everything to his liking?

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How did they get back the Coruscant temple? I thought the Empire did a Carthage on it

8. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    That's what we all thought.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

the way he mention genetics in the speech throw me out of the reading. It just don't feel Star Wars to me

10. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I've always assumed they just rebuilt it.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    why would they do that?

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah i thought they should have starkly gone away from the corrupt strapping of the old jedi temple, and stayed simple and humble like the Baron Do.

Skywalker Thing and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Why would the Jedi rebuild their Temple on Coruscant after it was destroyed? o_O Because it's at the center of the galaxy and therefore close to all the action, for the same reasons it would've been built there by the old Order. Why wouldn't they do that?

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    They hadn't done it for the first 23 years after taking back Coruscant.

15. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Which doesn't equate to them deciding to never do it. The Order wasn't originally founded on Coruscant, didn't mean they couldn't eventually decide to found a Temple there. It's also not as if they didn't still have other Temples as well.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But why rebuild the old temple? They are way to few for even one of its wings and who will pay for it. Why not just create something akin to an embassy?

17. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    The size of the Temple's never been given and we've never seen pictures of it. Based on what you just said i'd think it's likely that it's maybe a tenth as large as the original(s).

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Sure, but they did it right after Coruscant got trashed. Of course, I guess that doesn't matter since it got better.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It was mentioned in Dark Nest that Cal Omas and the Galactic Alliance paid to have it rebuilt as a reward for the Jedi defeating Tsavong Lah, Overlord Shimrra, and Onimi. Why they wouldn't just rebuild the Yavin IV academy, I dunno. [face_dunno]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

DurararaFTW and Skywalker Thing like this.
  21. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Luke said that Academy on Yavin had served its purpose and that they'd find a new Academy. This led into an era of expansion where they now have Academies and hideouts all over.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, unless the plot requires them all to be stuck on Coruscant under Mandalorian blockade.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Or requires every single one of the kids to be on Ossus so they can be used repeatedly as kidnap or murder threats.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do you do actually that? Isn't Ossus suppose to be sounded by so hard navigated space that you need some kind of super ship, or the Force (preferably both) to be able to get there in one piece? And was it not just as hard to leave it?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Well what do you expect from a series where Natasi Daala is Chief of State and Jacen Solo's reasoning for falling to the Dark Side was a vision of his yet to be born/thought of daughter? [face_laugh]

Gamiel Sounds like you're describing Prakith or the Maw. I don't remember there ever being an issue with getting to Ossus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.