main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rathtars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BOBA-FETT-82, Dec 18, 2015.

1. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    What were people's thoughts on the rathtars scene? To me the whole freightor scenes felt out of place in the movie like it shouldn't have been there? If anything it felt more Star Trek than Star Wars.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh it was fun.

3. JarJarsTongue

JarJarsTongue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 25, 2014
    For me it was when the movie really dragged. It was very new trek like and less Star Warsy.

4. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    I wasn't thrilled by it but it was good to see Han actually smuggling somethng...

AshiusX, Darth Geezy, V-2 and 13 others like this.
  5. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah this sequence I will probably point to as my least favorite of the film. It definitely felt a bit out of place and almost too silly. Fully CGI creatures whipping their tentacles about in the confines of a smuggler's freighter, it just felt off somehow.

That being said, I still had some degree of fun with it. The weakest moment in this film still has its merits.

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It was fun and I guess was to introduce that Han was back to his old ways. Although it did put me in mind of the planet core scene on naboo as something that arguably wasn't entirely necessary.

dolphin and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  7. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    I didn't care for it. Didn't ruin the movie, but I thought it was dumb.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That is when I really like the movie. It was silly fun. A bit different but still Star Wars. Again I loved the first half. It was an A movie. It's the second half where it fell apart and was just passable.

9. Tick Turds

Tick Turds Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2015
    This is the part where you go to the bathroom if you have already seen the movie.

10. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Not into the rathtars themselves. I actually think the scene would have been really cool with better monsters (i liked the Han double-cross dynamic), but they were both too CGI and too silly.

11. DustingCropsBoy_

DustingCropsBoy_ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2011
    I liked that we got to see Han and Chewie in their "day job", away from all the heroics.

I'm sure that sequence is also JJ's modern version of the OT tradition of having a "creature attack" on the hero in the first half of the movie; in Ep IV it's the Sandpeople, in V it's the Wampa, in VI it's the Rancor. The Rathtars scene continues that pattern.

12. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    very unnecessary scene.. they could have spent that time for more important scenes...

JarJarsTongue likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd compare it to the Dianoga, rather than the Tuskens.
    All SW movies have a creature attack except ROTS.

TPM: The underwater creatures
    AOTC: Reek, Nexu, Acklay
    ANH: Dianoga
    TESB: Wampa
    ROTJ: Rancor
    TFA: Rathars

14. mikhailca

mikhailca Jedi Master

May 20, 2005
    This scene should not have even been in the movie. They could have just faced off against the Death Squad and left the monsters out completely. Or maybe had them in a hold or something and seen them through a window, maybe had Han comment about smuggling them, and then left it at that. So dumb.

T-R- and BOBA-FETT-82 like this.
  15. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

Oh wow, that is exactly what I did on the second viewing. I even planned it in advance due to the diuretics I'd consumed before the film.

That would just be putting something in the script that does very little. This way was better because they were introduced as a believable means to break Han out of the bind he was in.

Although now that I'm really thinking about it, I think there was a real missed opportunity for a "Han shoots first" callback/moment.

16. KirkAFur

KirkAFur Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2005
    They looked like the monster from the opening scene of Monsters Inc.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

goincommando likes this.
  17. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Pretty dumb. Felt like something out of Abrams' Trek movies.

vncredleader, Collin Tongue and Sarge like this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It actually didn't feel that out of place for me. I personally liked their attack, but for some reason I feel like the CGI for them was a bit.... I dunno, outdated? I feel like it could have been a bit better

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

V-2, Satipo, Skellybobs and 1 other person like this.
  19. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Basically the only scene that I did not like. Head scratcher as to why anyone thought that was a good idea.

Collin Tongue and thatotherjedi like this.
  20. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I wish that scene had a little more character dynamic (like, what has han been up to with these guys, what kinds of things does he do on that freighter), and less monster chases.

Star Searcher and Sarge like this.
  21. DustingCropsBoy_

DustingCropsBoy_ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2011

Yes, I believe that even ROTS had a creature attack that was cut out early on (Obi-Wan and Anakin were to be attacked by monsters in the fuel tanks of Grievous' ship).

But I reckon the Sandpeople are a more appropriate parallel than the Dianoga in this case because it's not just about being an attacking monster (which the Acklay, Dianoga etc certainly are), it's about where the scene falls in the movie and the hero's story. The Sandpeople, Wampa, Rancor and Rathtars all attack the lead hero (in the OT it's Luke of course, in TFA it's Han) relatively early on in his story, before he is really even involved with the main enemy of the movie.

IMO none of them are strictly necessary to the plot, they are just there to add a bit of excitement to the hero's early scenes before he is fully entangled with the main threat, to break up what could be a long run of scenes full of expositional dialogue. Without the Rathars, how long would it be until Han's first action sequence in TFA? I've seen the movie a couple of times but I'm not sure where it would be. When the Resistance arrive at Maz's place? If so, that's a long way in, Han needed an action scene before that IMO.

22. jetsdude

jetsdude Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2015
    Should have been cut. Completely useless.

Collin Tongue and Force22 like this.
  23. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I thought for a moment that I was watching Aliens or something like that, even the smugglers that appeared seemed off.

As an additional bonus scene was fine tho.

Padawatje likes this.
  24. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I would have liked the sequence a lot better if the creatures were say, Rancors or something more familiar. The creature design itself seemed...not quite right for Star Wars (compare to the riding beasts on Jakku, which did in fact seem very "Star Wars" to me). Just a little too "CGI Blob-y"

The sequence also would have helped if it was more of a running four-way battle between Han/Chewie/Finn/Rey, the other two groups after Han, and the Ratthars, instead of just running from the Rathtar.

Collin Tongue likes this.
  25. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    How about a Scooby Doo style sequence where they're running criss cross through doorways, in one side, out the other, back and forth