main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary The Red Planet Rules!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by mon-mothma, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    OK, not (strictly speaking) a Star Wars topic, but at least it's planetary-type space stuff.

We are totally jazzed to be able to go out on the back deck at our house and look up and see that little orange-ish object so bright in the sky! I love that the CNN science guy said "go out and look to the southeast at around 10 or 11 pm and Mars will be the brightest object in the sky"...and...it IS!! What an amazing experience. I have to admit that I'm a total sucker for this kind of stuff, the whole awesome concept of not being able to see the planet again in this way for another 60,000 years. It's way cool.

M.M. and Son of M.M.

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    wow...60,000 years? :eek:

I could have sworn that it was in the sky a few years back. :p

Or was that Venus? When you have the moon and another planet in the sky. ;)

3. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I would love to see it but we have so much light polllution here on base that you can barely see any stars at all. I guess I'll have to travel outside the city to get a good look at it.

I think the most amazing thing I've seen in the sky so far was when Hale-Bopp passed over sometime in 1997. I was in California at the time and went up to Lake Tahoe. It was truely an amazing site.

4. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm a sucker for this stuff too. It's very cool. A few nights ago I went out to look and there it was.

5. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    Oooops...gotta correct myself. Mars was LAST this close to Earth 60,000 years ago. However, it won't be as visible again for another 240 years.

M.M.

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    ahhh....that makes more sense. :p

7. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Well I went outside tonight and caught a glimpse of the Red Planet. There is alot of light around where I live but you can still see it fairly bright in the sky. I think it's totally awesome that I get to see two celestial events (the Hale-Bopp comet and Mars) in my lifetime. Not many people except for those living in this time will get to say that. Of course we won't be around to brag about it. ;)

8. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    I find it funny, that they are now saying that tonight it will be even closer.

Can they get anything straight? ?[face_plain]

9. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    We were out looking on Saturday and it looked really good, better than 1988. Saw polar caps and lots of features. Go here for more info.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree. I took out my telescope last night and sat in the driveway looking at it. Fantastic. :)

11. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    I hope it clears up tonight
    I will be at the Maryland Science Center to look though the big telescope. If anyone is in the area and not doing anything, stop on buy.
    The Observatory is on the roof of the Maryland Science Center.

Tak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.