main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Technical Side of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AndrewPascoe, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Did a quick search on my phone but couldn't find a similar topic, apologies if there are ones.

This a thread for the discussion of the technical aspects of TFA - the shots, the editing, the techniques used, effects etc.

I remember there was a great thread prior to release when all we had to go on was the teaser and there was huuuge debate about colour grading etc and how the effects would work etc.

I think now that the movie is out we can openly discuss what we loved and what didn't work for us from the technical aspects of TFA.

For me personally I feel that the film was beautifully shot. I saw it a couple of days ago at a 3D Laser IMAX theatre and the falcon chase was immense. Absolutely one of my favourite sequences of the film. The scope of the shots was most impressive.

2. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    With regards to the Falcon chase...was that not the one scene they shot on Imax? I may be wrong...?

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, it was the one shot on IMAX.

B99 and Trooper100471 like this.
  4. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I originally thought that the transition from the stuff shot on iMax to the rest would be jarring but if felt seamless to me.

Trooper100471 likes this.
  5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The visuals were amazing, and definitely the highlight for me. Flying through the wrecks of Jakku was a great sequence, bought me back to my days of obsessively playing Rogue Squadron, and images such as the forest shaking when the Starkiller fires, and the crust heaving when the Oscillator explodes, were all great. The opening scene is a feast for the eyes, with the fires under the night sky and the approaching ominous lights of the FO transports. Great stuff.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Removed: The rule is no bootlegs... ever.

7. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Digital set extensions, digital backgrounds, digital characters and ships, even all digital scenes.

Soooo much more practical than the PT!

8. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Eh...it still gets points for having actual physical costumes for the troopers this time. ;)

9. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    "we'll do things right! it'll be real this time! PT had too much CGI!"

guittarjedi likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    said no one.

Bowen and hippie1kenobi like this.
  11. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    can't tell if you're being serious or

Drewton likes this.
  12. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    and loses them for the seemingly complete lack of miniatures

13. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    probably because it was all CGI

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The visuals were really great. There were some gorgeous shots cinematography. The Jakku scenes, the duel in the snow, Maz's planet, etc. The action was fast-paced, but still easy to follow. The CGI, Snoke's hologram aside, was quite good (I personally thought that Maz was good). The editing was mostly good, there was some brilliant use of lighting in places, and the costuming/creature designs were fun.

And the problem with the PT for many wasn't that it used CGI, that's just part of the deal for these types of films. It was that quite a bit of it wasn't particularly good CGI, and that it was frequently used where it wasn't needed.

Chewies_bandolier and R.D. like this.
  15. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    They did do one for the crashed TIE, I believe--otherwise, miniatures don't tend to hold up that well to HD cameras these days, so CG just lets you do more with more detail. Still, the film had full practical for some shots like when Rey is talking to Teebo--which is commendable effort next to certain others.

16. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
  17. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

They never once said it wouldn't use CGI. The fact is the way they did it on TFA worked. It looks real as hell.

11-4D, JonoLFC, dan1210 and 4 others like this.
  18. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    that's not the point, we obviously knew there would be some but the whole thing behind the effects approach they were supposedly taking was that it would be more real than the prequel trilogy, and that's simply not the case

also, it's debatable whether or not it's all looking 'real as hell', because from the repeated viewings i've had of TFA i was pretty sure there was a lot of CGI (not that it bothers me, but if we're playing that game...)

guittarjedi likes this.
  19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And the only noticeably wonky one, Snoke, I was mostly cool with because he was a hologram.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    i didn't think from the video that was a miniature tho? thought they built that fullscale and had it in the ground?

and i don't agree about miniatures not holding up. people still champion the ones from the OT (and I think the PT ones look great)

guittarjedi likes this.
  21. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Snoke was fine, Maz looked great. The only CG that really stood out to me was maybe some shots of the final battle, but other than that, it was all intergrated well.

22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no one said that. seriously

23. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The OT holds up well...but when you look at it objectively, some elements look like plastic toys, or obvious stop motion against a painted backdrop. Modern HD cameras, with more definition than what they had in the 80s, would make it look faker. Like when Star Trek TNG was converted to blu-ray, suddenly the sets felt a lot more plastic.

24. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Snoke was okay for me but I wasn't terribly keen on him being humanoid. I think similarly to the big bad orc of the Hobbit trilogy, prosthetics can be done so well nowadays why couldn't they have gone that route. What was demanding of that character that it was decided to cgi it.

Maz looked fantastic.

25. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    lolk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.