main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I worship the gods of reason and logic.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Oxymoron

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Today I am euphoric

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Happiness does not exist. Only bleakness and despair.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So, I hear the Left Behind movie sucks.

[​IMG]

Hank Hill and Drac39 like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Clearly, you need Jesus.

At the time of rapture, my Prius will be unmanned.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    She does, at Endor. For doing so, Saul and his heir Jonathan were killed in battle against the Philistines immediately following. It's worth pointing out that the woman should not have been operating in Israel in the first place, she being a witch.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Thank you!

Not again!

but can it be worse than Wicker Man?

12. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    And watch they'll claim it's because the no good liberal film critics are persecuting them.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I read that the new Left Behind movie doesn't even have the antichrist.

That's like the best part. How could they leave out the antichrist and still think it'll be interesting?

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Because dumb Christians will eat that crap up anyway, just like they did with God's Not Dead.

Drac39 likes this.
  15. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    So is anyone going to see it? I think with Cage and that subject matter it at least could be an entertaining bad film

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    On my facebook feed is a promo poster and there are three review quotes on it.

"Great movie. 5 stars for bringing awareness to the world."

"I watched the movie with my family and my kids were very touched. Jesus is coming soon."

"Very good movie. Definite must see."

Meanwhile in reality(I am lifting this off wikipedia):

Left Behind has been universally panned by critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 2%, based on 47 reviews, with an average rating of 2.1/10. The site's consensus reads, "Yea verily, like unto a plague of locusts,Left Behind hath begat a further scourge of devastation upon Nicolas Cage's once-proud filmography." While the Audience Score, as of October 4, 2014, is at 66%. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 13 out of 100, based on 24 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike".
    In a review for Entertainment Weekly, film critic Lindsey Bahr wrote, "At best, Left Behind is shoddily made sensationalist propaganda—with atrocious acting—that barely registers as entertainment. At worst, it's profoundly moronic. Audiences, Christian or not, deserve better, and it's hard to imagine that the ham-fisted revelations in this schlock could serve any higher purpose."
    Christian magazine Christianity Today heavily criticized the film, saying, "Left Behind is not a Christian movie, whatever 'Christian Movie' could even possibly mean. In fact, most Christians within the world of the movie—whether the street-preacher lady at the airport or Rayford Steele's wife—are portrayed as insistent, crazy, delusional, or at the very least just really annoying. They want churches to book whole theaters and take their congregations, want it to be a Youth Group event, want magazines like this one to publish Discussion Questions at the end of their reviews—want the system to churn churn away, all the while netting them cash, without ever having to have cared a shred about actual Christian belief. They want to trick you into caring about the movie. Don't. We tried to give the film zero stars, but our tech system won't allow it."
    Richard Roeper gave the film a grade of a D-, stating that "the writing is horrible, the direction is clunky, the special effects are not special [and] the acting is so wooden you could make a basketball court out of it."

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Holy ****.

The Genesis Code

I definitely don't agree with the author about "needing" religion. If you need a god to tell you how to behave like a decent human being...you probably aren't a decent human being. As far as his "three questions":

Who am I? --my name is Tracy, nice to meet all of you.

Why am I here? --to drink wine, run races, save cats and laugh a lot. Not necessarily in that order and definitely not at the same time.

How shall I live? -- like a decent human being.

...but that museum is...special.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is maybe the funniest thing you've ever said on here and you are typically quite funny, so that is saying something. Time for a new sig!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Isn't he kind of too busy to be in a movie, what with the whole presidentin' thing?

22. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, that's certainly an attention-getting video title.

24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Aside from the fact that it's theologically preposterous and inextricably linked to the uglier aspects of the overtly political wing of evangelical Christianity, I actually do think the general premise of Left Behind--hundreds of millions of people disappearing without a trace and the resulting chaos on the micro and macro scale--could make for a very interesting film. Of course, it would need a huge budget and a skilled director, which I'm sure the brand could never secure. But still.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Does it need JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYZUS to be a plot? Like if you took the supernatural nonsense out would there still be a story?