main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bought Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral and Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storms TPB's and have enough Birthday money (might need a couple dollars in change) to get one more.

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    If you already have everything KOTOR, maybe the first Invasion arc? The first one was pretty nifty, especially in how it nailed the Solo kid characterizations and the Praxeum looks. Plus, you could skip the second and third arcs.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Purge is a good set of short stories.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Already have Invasion 1 and Purge.
    Probably will get DOTJ 2 or 3, or Boba Fett is Dead or Blood Ties: A Tale of Jango and Boba Fett.
    Can get them at my local B&N's. Want to get those out of the way first.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In that case then....For the Scaif art and Taylor story, plus some smart mixing of OT and PT Fett aspects, go for Blood Ties, the Boba Fett Is Dead trade is the second in the series.

Wasn't a fan of DOTJ 2 at all.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That TPB looked good when I skimmed through it earlier.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Scaif art can't do anything but look good!

8. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013

I understand where your coming from and believe what your saying and i totally agree. But its just my personal opinion, that out of all the crappy Vader series that have come out, this is "probably" the best of the bunch, which really isnt saying much =/ The Vader series has been nothing short of mediocrity if not for a couple good ones like The Last Command, which is a Vader series done right.

There are certainly many flaws with Five Days of Sith. No Bircher wasnt found and no Rebels being killed, I didnt understand that either.
    I understand there are a lot of unanswered questions with this series. They really should have extended the series to at least 4 or 5 issues instead of 2 because it leaves so many unanswered questions.

The IG-88 reference at the end of the Volume was cool, and im not really sure if IG-88 had a series created before the KOTOR videogame came out. Im sure they did in some form or another. I want to know more about him, plus he's in the Legacy II series for some odd reason, if im wrong, please correct me on that.

But the sole reason I find this series works despite its many many flaws, is Vader's character. Unlike other series where vader is there and kills a bunch of bounty hunters or whatever it is and basically a repeat of that over and over again. Vader is a terrifying presence and relentless in his goal than ever before. Brian Wood does the best job i have seen so far, in creating a true powerful persona in Darth Vader as it should be shown in a series. Thats why i feel this series works, in some odd way lol. Its all personal preference and opinion. Love it or hate it.

9. WMIRTUTSF

WMIRTUTSF Jedi Master

Dec 4, 2006
    Just a heads up that there's a Humble Star Wars Comics Bundle on right now with eBook versions of the first volumes of some of Dark Horse's Star Wars comics. If you're unfamiliar with Humble Bundles, there's a Wikipedia article about them.

Django Fett33 and Gorefiend like this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of digital comics, but I totally contributed to that bundle to support Dark Horse in some small way.

Django Fett33 likes this.
  11. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013

Yeah ur right about that. I will actually create a video and upload it tonight to describe the details of the sale.

12. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013
    Here is my video describing the details of the Humble Bundle Sale:

Go Buy Yourself Some Star Wars Comics for SUPER CHEAP at Humble Bundle

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Rebel Heist

Damn, this was great fun to read! The only flaw in the collection is that this is one time that DHC would have been better to not do their usual practice of no chapter breaks, as the shift between each can be abrupt if you don't know they do it.

The first story with Han had all sorts of weird stuff going on that I imagine could throw you off if reading it monthly. The second is where it went up a gear, with Leia getting to act like James Bond, flying onto the top of a building, to strip off to a ballgown is pure Bond. Similarly what follows, which was a great escape and chase sequence. Issue 3 sees Chewie come into the picture and a considerable amount of arse gets kicked by the Wookiee. It all comes together in the final issue where what Han was doing becomes much clearer, how Leia's actions fit into the larger picture and then there's amount of stormtroopers Luke decks - speed, lightsaber deflections, perceptiveness beyond the norm - Luke gets to exhibit a good few skills here.

And the object of the heist? Well....

It was the shield generator for Hoth, which for some more knowledgeable fans posed more of a problem. It works fine for me.

The art I liked a great deal, all the characters are well rendered. Leia in particular is well-drawn, attractive without being over-sexualised. At the same time while the gang are well done, the device of them being seen through the eyes of others isn't a perception of them as some godlike figures, indeed Kindt clearly wants to avoid that, but neither does he go to the other extreme of downplaying their heroic qualities too much.

It may be quieter than some may like, but for me, this is a great farewell story from DHC to the big 3.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds interesting Jedi Ben. Going to have to look into it.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy of Star Wars: Legacy Volume II: Volume 4 is on its way! [face_party]

Wait.... It's my last DHC SW trade purchase! :_|

So ambivalent about this!

16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Same here.

17. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013
    So there are more titles that have been released at HumbleBundle.com just now
    This is an updated video talking about the full lineup of Star Wars Comics available at the website.
    If your new to Star Wars comics or just love Star Wars comics in general , def spend towards these comics and to a good cause :)

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars: Legacy Volume II: Volume 4: Empire of One

Hmm, what to make of this? Sadly it is certainly an abbreviated finish for this title. I can't help but feel that they were notified of the licence loss after the previous arc had already been produced.

What of the finish? That final page is both perfect and too damn sharp. It's perfect in that it's a great shot of the gang - AG, Ania, Sauk, Jao, but so sharp that it's a reminder that some fool thought it a great idea to throw it all away!

And the route to it? That is quite a bit bumpier! If any character has been significantly damaged by the arc, it is Marasiah Fel, who has rather been too indulgent of the same traits that killed her father. I do find Ania's rejection of her quite satisfying. Darth Wredd's blatant exposition monologue is a necessary evil and does bring up an interesting angle on the Sith, that in forcibly creating one, they create an enemy aimed at themselves, which is how Wredd perceives himself. It is, however, far too neat that every Sith converges to take him out!

As to the panel of Cade and co, I find it quite amazing that people were able to draw the kind of conclusions they did from it! It's a single panel with next to no info as to how that piece of tech was obtained or what Cade has been doing. It's nothing more than a cameo appearance.

Despite the flaws, it's still a good conclusion and likely as good as one as we were going to get. It kind of brings things full circle.

Is it as great a send-off for DHC as Rebel Heist? I don't think so, that latter work has the edge as it was designed for 4 issues, this, in comparison, is clearly truncated.

So what began just over 20 years ago for me has now ended. The time of the DHC Star Wars licence is over. Despite Marvel placing some very major talent on their books for it, I find it hard to be enthusiastic about it. In transferring the licence, LFL has done exactly what DC did on their line for the New 52 launch: Prematurely compelled the ending of stories and books just because they can. It is a quite pointlessly destructive outlook.

Still, those 2 decades of SW comics from DHC were damn good!

Kylun, Nobody145, Darth_Garak and 2 others like this.
  19. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    How did you get this early?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The usual way: I paid money! :D

More seriously, it was a pre-buy with Book Depository months ago and somehow they seem to get trades in a little earlier than the official release date! I wasn't expecting to get this until a week or two later than now!

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Read Rebel Heist. That was a really fun TPB.

22. Z95_Headhunter

Z95_Headhunter Jedi Knight

Jul 26, 2014
    I thought Heist had some problems, but overall I enjoyed the premise of each issue focusing on a character. I recently picked up the HC Dark Empire Trilogy from Dark Horse. It's a really nice looking, high quality book, and it looks great next to my Crimson Empire Saga and Legacy Book 1 HCs. My only complaint is that it omits those great Tom Veitch essays from the original single issues.

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Note to self, pick up the Rebel Heist TPB. Normally I wouldn't bother, I already picked it up monthly and would rank the story as pretty good, and liked it much better than DotJ and helps wash the memory of Star Wood away, but as one of the last, the nostalgia value goes up.

By the way, just to mention, for Legacy Volume II TPB 4, the Legacy Handbook is reprinted, mostly its the same as #0 originally was (forget if it was #1/2) but it has some extra pages added detailing Ania and some aspects of Volume II, so that might be exclusive to this TPB. Its not much, but it was nice to see a little bit extra at least.

24. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Do you/anyone know if the kindle version of Legacy II, 4 contains the Legacy Handbook?

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.