main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Truth Is Out There: The X-Files Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Considered to be one of the best sci-fi/paranormal tv shows of the 90's, The X-Files is still heavily in rotation and loved by fans around the world.

Come in here to discuss all things X-Files from debating the merits of the final seasons, to your favorite episodes, to news of "hopefully" more future X-Film projects!

The Truth is in here!

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I met Langley at Gen Con this past year. He's really nice and quite the funny guy in person.

Fave Episode: I can't decide, I love them all. Recently I was reminded of the Incest episode. *shudders*

This show was mine and my dads show, regardless of what was going on, if we were fighting, or had been busy all week, we made time for X-Files. We never watched it without the other one. Which is kind of sad and poetic in the way that the year I graduated High School was the year the series ended.

Also +1 to a new X-Files movie! Come on Chris, you know we all want it and you can make it happen. Mulder and Scully back together again...

~PK~

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Unlike other schoolkids, I used to actually look forward to Sunday nights. Why? Because of the X-Files! [face_dancing]

My favorite episode without a doubt is "Bad Blood." Luke Wilson pops up with those buck teeth, and I just die. [face_laugh]

Yes, I want another movie! I'd love to see one that feels like just another episode.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think The X-Files was a truly great series up to the point at which Duchovny decided he was going part time. Of course by then it had already begun to spin its web just a little too much, and the mythology storyline was becoming hard to follow without having to take notes... but when Mulder & Scully were the regulars some of the drama and intrigue was absolutely peerless.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    FYI, you guys can create specific threads on differenct asects of movies/series, also. :)

6. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    I still think the X-files is the greatest show ever, i wish they would make another movie. I think its the best early on in Vancouver. The show just was not the same when they moved to LA, it was sunny and bright as opposed to gray and rainy. I think the best seasons are 2,3, and 4. So many good episodes- Never Again, Paper Hearts, Jose Chung, the cockroach which i think it hilarious. Somebody metioned Home that episode is messed up, wow. I think Season 6 and 8 are ok in parts. Season 7 i think worst, they just seemed liked they didn't care that much in it, and its very lighthearted.

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I really loved to watch that series. And movies. They haven't been shown on the TV for a while now... :(
    Oh well. The old episodes were brilliant. The new ones, when Mulder was gone, were not the same thing.

8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I saw quite a lot of old episodes, enjoyed them, but now they've stopped showing the bloody things.

9. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    Chris Carter, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have all mentioned in the press that a new X-Files movie is something that will happen in the near future. The last I heard was that filming was to start in Vancouver sometime in early '06 (according to Duchovny, I believe). But, we've heard this sort of news before (kinda like waiting for INDY IV, isn't it?) yet Carter apparently has a scary stand-alone story ready. We'll wait and see...

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I recently did a search on the subject of a new film, David's been talking about wanting it to happen ever since 2004, but so far there's no official word other than there might be some legalities holding up anything from happening.

11. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    Gillian said recently her and David are ready, somekind of contract hold up, its thought to be Chris Carter with 20th century fox.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Fox studios would be moronic not to want to produce a new film. Even though Fight the Future wasn't the hugest blockbuster on earth, it made a lot of money later on DVD/Video and in the theater. There's also enough interest from fans to help to easily pay for a new film.

Chris is also used to working w/ low budgets.

MAKE THIS MOVIE!

13. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    We totally need a new movie. I still miss not being able to watch X-Files on TV every Sunday night. :(

14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree the movie needs to happen.

I think this one would do more money, simple because the fans are thirsting for it. Alot of fans waiting for the first one to come to vhs/video as opposed to going to the theaters. With this one I believe it would be diffrent, simply because the show isn't on tv.

I know I'm fiending bad for more X-Files.

~PK~

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I kinda don't want a new movie, at least not one that takes place after the finale as I like the mystery of not knowing what happens to the entire gang, and especially the alien invasion. I'd love for this movie (should it ever be released) to take place during the actual show, or before it. Just not after.

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I wouldn't want it taking place after the finale just because it would be so depressing. So many people are dead! :( But I'd love for it to be during the show. That way, you have the rapport between Mulder and Scully, the Lone Gunmen, and various evil guys. Plus the government conspiracies aren't too complicated at that point, so you could have a nice stand-alone.

I kind of wish they'd just cut the series off after Season 8. Seeing Mulder, Scully and the baby seemed to be the best kind of ending. Instead they brought in Monica Reyes again, who was okay, but she had a tendency to go all Ric Olie and repeat the obvious. :p

17. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    if they were going to make a new movie i would want a standalone, and a very dark one too, something like Paper Hearts. If it was a prequel they could put Krycek in it, but he was in the finale and hes dead, so. Krycek and Covarrubias i thought were the 2 best other characters besides.

18. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Huge XF fan here. My whole life between 1995 and 2001 was XF. I was crazy about it! I'm still bitter of the whole ending, but I'm getting better about it. LOL

But as for a new movie....I'd agree that I'd love it to take place during the timeline of the show and NOT be about the conspiracy. I'd love a huge Monster of the Week type movie, only one that isn't too hokey. They pulled it off in the show, but could they do that on the big screen? Man, I hope so.

And, just for fun...my favorite episode ever was 'Pusher'. Loved that Robert Patrick Modell--he was one scary guy, imo.

19. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    i have heard that they're putting out the season box sets again, but at a much cheaper price.. does any of you know if that's true? i haven't been able to find anything about it on the net.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The box sets are now out at reduced prices - from the $100 of their initial release, I think they're now being sold for $40. They also came out w/a bunch of box sets that focus around storylines - so you can get one that's all monster episodes, black oil conspiracy episodes, etc.

You can probably find all available on Amazon.

21. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    thank you!:cool: i'll have to look for those season box sets on amazon!
    i know about the mythology box sets... i just bought the first one, abduction! it's cool, it has the pilot episode plus a bunch of the abduction themed ones from seasons 1,2 and 3. i WAS going to buy the other 3 mythology sets, but since the season sets can be found for less then the initial 100 dollar price tag now, i'll just buy those!

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The regular season box sets are still pretty expensive at $80 a pop on Amazon. Recently, though, all the mythology episodes that detail the driving conspiracy plotline are available in four economically-priced sets.

I?m almost through watching the first of these volumes, and am being reminded of just how good this show was. It?s kind of ironic that back when the first X-Files movie was released, thoughts of a new Star Wars episode were like some hard to grasp dream. Now, the reserve seems to be true.

However, if the sequel actually does get made, I am a bit wary about watching a standalone scary tale. If I recall correctly, the series finale didn?t really resolve anything about the main alien focus. Seems like they shouldn?t waste an opportunity to finally detail this plot to its conclusion.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd prefer a standalone tale set during the series golden years. No mythology, it's too complex and hamfisted to explain away satisfactorily now.

24. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    As I mentioned in my previous post, Carter has said that the new movie would be a stand-alone story (monster of the week/supernatural mystery). I for one would actually like to see it take place post-series. Maybe have Doggett, still with the FBI, come across some ultra-bizzare case that he can't seem to wrap his head around and might just require the services of the best criminal profiler the FBI ever had. So what does he do? Go find Mulder and maybe bring him back into the fold unofficially. Having Mulder butt heads w/ his former FBI bosses would give some dramatic tension to the film outside of any creepy monster story. I would assume that either Mulder & Scully would be together at this point (the finale seemed to allude to that happening to the characters post-series) or have them be estranged and consequences (and Doggett needing help) bring them back together-would add even more tension to the movie.

Just a thought..all I care to see is a new X-Files story on screen...soon!!!

25. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    A friend told me this was here and I had to pop over! I loved the XFiles up until Duchovny left then at all kind of went downhill for me. I loved the Mulder and Scully interaction - I have so many episodes I adored and watched over and over. I love the light hearted eps like Arcadia and The Ghosts who Stole Christmas. I was also lucky enough to meet Gillian Anderson, she's very sweet and tiny! I would love there to be a new movie! [face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.