main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    It's not because they "said something bad about Trump." It's because they lie.

Look at the Crowley situation: She said that Obama called the Benghazi attack and act of terror. But he didn't. Not really. He used the term to describe other attacks as he addressed Libya. And you'd think that would be enough. And it would be, except for the next two weeks he alternated between "terror" and "protest over a video that got out of hand" depending on what audience he was in front of. So Romney was right, Obama didn't really settle on an act of terrror for two weeks.

Snopes was not accurate.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And what is your source indicating that Obama did not call the Benghazi attack an act of terror?

I found this and looks like a silly issue to go after Snopes for, if indeed Snopes did say "act of terror".

"Act of terror" vs "act of terrorism" and I'm supposed to disbelief Snopes now?

ETA:

This and this are all I found on Snopes at all about Benghazi.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Are you serious about this "didn't call it terrorism" thing? Obama locked up the 2012 election by slamming Romney on that very thing.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  5. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting. They took it down! Very interesting. But here's the rub:

Obama referred to the attack. He referred to terrorism. But if it became unpopular to call it a terror attack, he could say that he never actually referred to it as a terror attack and be right. Then for the next two weeks he waffled depending on the crowd. With his own State Department, a mouthpice for the administration, called it a riot spawned from a video.

If you don't believe me that I saw this on Snopes, I guess there's nothing I can say about it. But ask yourself this: It was a very high profile gaff...wouldn't you expect Snopes to have covered it?

Obama locked it up because Crowley gave him a pass when he was wrong.

I get it. Trump has done some things that should be called out. But look at the stuff he is doing that he is supposed to be doing: The wall. The temporary travel ban. Most of us agree with these things. And he was elected largely because of that. But looking at the media you's think it was Trump vs the America population.

That's not true. At the very least not on these issues.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right, I don't believe you, because you haven't provided evidence that Obama "waffled due to the crowd" or any of the other claims you've made.

Calling it "terrorism" instead of "terrorist" is not a gaffe, it's three letters.

The media has talked plenty about the travel ban, and you are in no position to speak for "most of us." And no, "Trump won the election" is not an argument that you are in a position to speak for "most of us."

If the media is talking about innocent people getting stuck in airports due to the travel ban, the media is doing its job.

If the media is talking about demanding people's phone passwords (and NO ONE gets mine, not even family members) and asking travelers' political views at the border...the media is doing its job.

The media also reports on people who get caught in midair with bombs in their shoes. There is no reason why it should stay silent on the negative consequences of the travel ban just because some of you like the travel ban.

CT-867-5309, unicorn, V-2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    [​IMG]

Get those filthy, small hands away from me!

Juliet316 , V-2 and darth-sinister like this.
  8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So you accept that Michael Flynn is dirty? You're being incredibly selective about what is fake and what is not from these sources.
    Thus a genuine question, how do you know when a story is fake.

9. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    If it criticizes, implicates, or in any way does not celebrate drumpf or the bat**** wingnut agenda.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Because Obama, of course.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Is there anyone with professional legal expertise here who can state the consequences of Flynn taking the Fifth?

Juliet316 , V-2 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    To give everyone an idea what a laughing stock The Donald is here

Darth_Voider and heels1785 like this.
  13. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Meh. I think it is.

We won the only poll that counts. And if the media keeps this up, we will win again in 2018.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/comment...ness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/

They haven't learned a thing. And people in the social media bubble will again follow them off the cliff. They way I'm treated here shows me that few people dare expose themselves to a differing opinion. There just isn't any tolerance.

In a rare point of agreement, it means he is guilty as hell.

gezvader28 likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    obviously photoshopped by the lib'ral german maydia

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

J-Rod Two questions will tell me what I need to know. Do you believe in Evolution or Creationism? And how old is the earth?

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if that's your only reasoning for claiming to speak for a majority of americans you might want to remember that hillary received about 3 million more votes.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Very few people are doubting that Clinton ****ed up regarding her overall campaign and her outreach to working class voters in the American heartland. Blaming the press for that is ridiculous though. Blame the Clinton campaign.

I'm pretty sure I posted this before: in 2008 I campaigned for Obama in both the general and in the primary against Clinton, and I was appalled at that time by her refusal to even acknowledge states that would not give her a big win in the Electoral College. In our campaign we were working on outreach everywhere, and we were working on margins--if we were winning by a slim margin, we wanted to make that margin wider.

And the Clinton campaign ignoring states like Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania simply because Obama won them in the general was idiotic.

The "basket of deplorables" was Clinton's comment, and why anyone who is not racist, sexist or homophobic took that personally is beyond me. I don't know if half of Trump supporters belong in that category, that was her percentage and the number is irrevelant to me, I call out racism, sexism and homophobia on an individual basis. And there are easy ways to avoid it: don't stereotype people by their gender, ethnic group, native language, nationality or sexual orientation.

If a press commentator in an opinion piece or editorial is condemning or calling out racism, sexism, homophobia and ethnocentrism...there is no reason for a press commentator to stay silent because someone might be uncomfortable with the idea that it is no longer socially acceptable to stereotype people.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    We tolerate you just fine. We just disagree with your assertions. Maybe you're the one who doesn't tolerate that not everyone sees things as you see them.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You *literally* have no idea how wrong you are about this.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    J-Rod
    that CBS article ^ is well worth a read .

J-Rod likes this.
  21. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Creationism.
    4.5 Billion years old.

Except people can't agree about whats racism, sexism, homophobia and ethnocentrism.

For instance, being against illegal immigration isn't racist. But I get that title.

And here's the problem with that: I'm not. I know what's in my heart and my mind. I know my motivations and intents. I'm not racist yet get called it. So the meaning of the word gets watered down.

"Racist" is a label more commonly used to to shout down dissenting opinions than to accurately describe a person's views on racism.

And then there are those, even more scary guys, who think,"If you don't agree with me then you must be racist!" They cannot comprehend they they may be wrong about that. In fact they can't even consider the possibility. It shapes their world and it can't be challenged.

I won't go into this...

;)

Tosche_Station likes this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Thank you.

J-Rod likes this.
  23. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

No, he's 100% right. I've seen this over and over again here.

Tosche_Station and J-Rod like this.
  24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Tolerance is a two way street as long as someone operates within the TOS.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Simple definition:

If you negatively (or even positively) stereotype a group of people by race, you are racist.

If you stereotype women by their gender or try to pigeonhole them, you are sexist.

If you stereotype people by their sexual orientation or insist that same-sex couples should be treated differently in any way than heterosexual couples, you are homophobic.

If you stereotype people by nationality or insist that your specific nationality is the best, not at some things, but at everything, you are xenophobic.

None of this is complicated, and yes, I become suspicious of people who try to "b...bu...but" their way around these very straightforward definitions. There is no "b...bu...but." It is not difficult to form a viewpoint of people based on personality and interactions rather than ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

MrMojoRisin, a majority disagreement, even harsh disagreement, with social conservative viewpoints is not a lack of tolerance.

If your definition of "tolerance" is a nod and a smile and "I find your opinion perfectly valid and just another belief system," then yeah, you might find a "lack of tolerance" here.

But that's not what tolerance is, and Merk is 100 percent correct.

CT-867-5309, V-2, Vaderize03 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.