main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    how you assign blame is a different question to ask than "do you support the policy?" if as the article says, 22% of people who blame the parents also think that the administration's policy is too aggressive...you can see the difference. A minority of Americans support the president's policies.

J-Rod likes this.
  2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    To be fair, the bakery offered to sell them a cake. They refused to make a special cake for them.

That's a different thing than being shown the door without an offer of service.

EDIT: And please note that at no time did I say the owners of the restaurant didn't have the right to refuse service. I absolutely believe that they do.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Darth Nerdling likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The owner of the Red Hen pulled Sanders aside and asked her to leave after she had started eating and told her the meal was on the house. That is about the nicest refusal of service I've ever heard. This isn't dehumanizing at all. Let's pick more important things to be outraged over.

4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I saw a great comment about this refusal of service issue. Fascists draw their power from the fear of the populous of standing up to them. In that context, I actually think it’s crucially important that the public not back down on shaming them when their policy is so monstrously evil. Speaking of monstrously evil —>
    http://thehill.com/latino/393856-mi...h-children-if-they-sign-voluntary-deportation

If this report is true, they’re kidnapping children and holding them for ransom to make people drop their asylum claims.

Rew, blackmyron, Abadacus and 8 others like this.
  5. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    All that tells me is racist propaganda works. People don’t know these people’s stories. They just hear republicans and Fox News equating them with gang members. Crossing the border without papers is a misdemeanor. If anyone supports stealing people’s children and interning them over an accusation of a misdemeanor, as far as I’m concerned that’s proof enough that their perspective is warped. Americans commit DUIs at shameful rates, putting everyone else on the road, including children, in mortal danger. When 54% of America starts demanding that we intern the children of everyone accused of a DUI and no bond/bail for the accused until their trials I’ll buy that anything other than bigotry is at play here.

Meanwhile, there was a policy that had over a 90% rate of return for these parents to come back to court. It involved releasing them with their families and ankle bracelets. Heaven forbid republicans support a policy that doesn’t steal children in a mean spirited way and that works.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If it works, and when it works, it's mostly because it's what a lot of (white) people want to hear. If people weren't receptive, the stories wouldn't go anywhere.

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Lol@rassmusen reports

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    It's a whack job opinion, sir. You're also using a crappy source. You're wrong and you should feel bad about such wrongness.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's very simple; if gays can be refused service on religious grounds, hard right populists can be refused service on political grounds. You can't have it both ways.

Rew, TCF-1138 , FatBurt and 9 others like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ana Navarro would be correct here:

[​IMG]

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently there was supposed to be a Trump Triathlon at one of the properties nearby that he owns; apparently it was cancelled due to “lack of participation.” The commentary on one of my running groups was, “Millennials comprise most triathletes but they generally do not support Trump.”

Here is the article about it

No word about its being back this year. (This Gen-X triathlete isn’t touching it with a 10-foot pole.)

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    People are pissed off at, sick of and ardently opposed to this administration. This is a very minor form of backlash.

It could be worse. Maybe it should be.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Six years on and I'm still torn about the Colorado baker's case. I mean, normally, the man should get a fine for discrimination, and that should be that. This is how it should go.
    On the other hand: imagine you're a baker. And you get a request in for a beautiful wedding cake. It will take you days to make it just to spec, with the right figurines on top and everything.
    And it's for Donald Trump.

Vaderize03 and Darth Nerdling like this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    you're worried he won't pay , right ?

Rew, V-2, Healer_Leona and 10 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Donald Trump can help being Donald Trump. Gay people can’t help being gay.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

Soooooo...no more Due Process?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I heavily edited my last comment...which compared ostracizing politicians to running a dictator out of the country...and suggested everyone in the government, for at least the last 15 years, should count themselves lucky they haven't been chased by a mob or lined up against a wall....but I thought maybe it was against the TOS because I was basically suggesting we start cutting off heads.

bluealien1 likes this.
  22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  23. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    This kind of blanket moral relativism is nothing but a conversation killer that is intellectually dishonest and factually incorrect. Yes this is who we are, but not because this happened under Obama. It didn’t. That’s a lie. This is a blanket policy of taking all children that cross the border and interning them in camps. That was not our policy under Obama, or Bush, or Clinton, etc. if you want to show that this is who we are, point to Japanese internment, Native American forced removals (and everything else that perpetrated that genocide), slavery. This policy belongs in the company of those comparisons, not politics as usual.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think anything that criticises the tepid American "liberal" is absolutely fair game and should be encouraged.

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yes, yes, if we’re not rioting and shutting down cities, then we don’t really care. You remind us of this daily.

What was it you were saying about “tepid”?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.