main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Things/Ideas You'd Like To See In Ep. 8 & 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 26, 2017.

1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Speaking of LOTR, I'm not a type to imagine a particular scene A-Z but more an overall feel so I wish that SW milks big emotional moments like LOTR did. I'm aware that Jackson is criticized for his melodramatic tendencies but there are several instances where, IMO, a SW director should have gone full Jackson but missed the boat. For example, Han's death. JJ was in such rush to get to the next shoot'em'up that he cut the emotional response by Kylo Ren to a minimum, so no wonder it flew over many heads that he instantly regretted his deed and felt weakened and horrified. It's still there in 3 seconds of Adam Driver's performance that is left in the movie, but you really have to watch gifs that show his eyes widening as if waking up from a trance, the so-called "my God, what have I done?" face, to get the point across. Which most people don't. Jackson would have milked that one for all its worth and than hammer it through your brain and hammer it one more time just to stay on the safe side. :D But anyway, JJ cut the emotion out of the scene to get to dog fights only to admit he didn't care about them. Oh, JJ, never change. No, do change, lol, do change. [face_tee_hee]

My point is, I think that SW has emotional beats, but it's never made me sob uncontrollably because the scene was so beautiful and moving. Not that there aren't beautiful and moving moments but they aren't milked so studiously until you are drowning in tears. Take this scene, for example:

The Coronation! The speech!The White Tree starts to bloom! The King sings Elendil's Oath! Eowyn and Faramir happy side by side! The Aragorn/Legolas reunion! Arwen steps forward! Elrond in tears! Lovers reunited!The KISS! Applause! Happiness! The Hobbits bow! My friends you bow to no one! Everyone bows to the Hobbits! Camera zooms on the Ringbearer! I can't. I'm in tears.

[​IMG]

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Amen. Exactly what I think is missing in SW.

3. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    11-4D Yes, the sense of majesty and grandeur both emotional and in scope. Take Argonath scene, for example:

SW has such a great universe building but it never let its characters take time to soak it in. Like this moment where the fellowship members are all in awe of the bygone era's grandeur. This gives goosebumps. SW came the closest with the Cantina in ANH but that's a different type, more small scale and wacky rather than grand and majestic. Another one, the fellowship is in owe of the old dwarven city of Dwarrowdelf:

Howard Shore, I bow to thee for the majesty of the Journey into the Dark theme. Just wow. And I'm not even posting the oft-posted Lighting of Beacons scene.

11-4D likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A summary of the romanticized ending of the myth of King Arthur:

After being betrayed and injured by his son/nephew Mordred,
    King Arthur is taken away...
    to be healed on the mystical island of Avalon,
    where he does not age or die
    but falls into a long sleep,
    until he is needed once more
    in his country's most desperate hour.
    King Arthur: The Once and Future King.

Could a creative and satisfying way to resolve Leia's character be to follow a similar trajectory?

What if the opening scroll of Episode IX is to learn that Leia was injured or captured, and then frozen in carbonite (by either the good guys or the bad guys). It could even be the "MacGuffin" of the story. Yet somehow, during IX, the location of carbonite-frozen Leia becomes and remains hidden from the surviving good guys? Either the heroes froze her in carbonite while she was injured, to be transported, and they fall under attack while en-route on a random isolated planet, the heroes are defeated and their remains left but carbonite Leia remains intact and hidden, with all knowledge of where she is and that she is actually still alive lost... or a villain, such as Kylo Ren, either finds her in carbonite or is the one to freeze her in carbonite, and stores her someplace secret, hidden, away from the wars and everyone else (and if he dies, that knowledge dies with him... if he lives, he's unrepentant, in hiding, preparing for the next war as the new Bane, intentionally keeping her frozen but not being able to kill her, hiding her in a private sanctuary).

Perhaps, a century or more later, some people in the galaxy will see her but not able to free her, and lose her location. And while unconfirmed, the rumors quickly grow, and become a popular legend... that Princess Leia, frozen in carbonite, will one day return to the galaxy when the Force wills it, when it is once again the "most desperate hour" for the galaxy... the Once and Future Princess and General: Leia Organa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It just seems like a poetic, beautiful way to "resolve" Princess Leia's arc in the Sequel Trilogy.
    To make her become the GFFA's King Arthur (or Snow White or Sleeping Beauty... but I think King Arthur is a much, much better comparison here.)

Sarge and nightangel like this.
  5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's a nice idea, however TBH I don't want to see Leia in Episode XXV in a Lenin-esque mausoleum
    Further I'd prefer the Snow White version as her King Arthur like beard is more than insufficient

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A beard? Really? o_O

Leia is a leader and a hero. She wouldn't be "asleep" waiting for someone to rescue her. Rather, she'd be awakened to be the one rescuing people. That is what I mean.

And the whole point is that she would NOT be woken up... not within our (the audience's) lifetimes anyways (maybe if they're still making Star Wars in the 24th century, someone could attempt it)... and her legend closer to the GFFA's mythical version of a future Apocalypse/Ragnarok/Second-Coming/Final-Battle/Dagor-Dagorlad/etc.

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nice idea and maybe this could be connected with the rumored coma of Leia. But I doubt going 2 times into a coma like state would work, so better combine it, if it was already a part of the story. ;)

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    You may be onto something with this but perhaps not how you think. It wouldn't surprise me if Snoke himself is freed from Carbonite by Gallius Rax in the final chapter of Aftermath in a week or two when it's released to the public. in the underground excavation site on Jakku. I'd buy that he was a leader who was injured badly during a war a thousand years ago and frozen in time due to the severity of the wounds and limited time to attempt anything else. Palpatine goes there to find out if the rumors were true and finds Snoke.

Unfortunately, if they had written Leia to enter the coma prior I think they'll allow some of the Force users to communicate with her through the Force and then have her pass and utilize her passing to propel the story forward, by seeing the impact it has on Luke, Leia's son, and Rey. It's possible Ben Solo does not dislike his mother the way he did Han. Partially because she's a Skywalker and also because of her accomplishments. If the attack on Leia was hidden from him it could be something that drives him to enact revenge against Hux or Snoke.

Sarge likes this.
  9. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I think that this idea works with a younger character who could return in sequels.

Ender_and_Bean

because he's a mama's boy! You can't have a proper Oedipus Rex without emotional attachment to mom. It's a given. Besides, they may have toned it down in the movie but it's still there that he did try to prevent Illeenium System destruction by offering to get the map from Rey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This stuff was actually filmed according to Pablo, as was this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

maybe he's just anti-planet destruction due to mom's stories about Alderaan (he pointedly skipped Hux's Hosnia System, blow-up rally) or maybe he thought "Oh, no! My mom's in the Illeenium system!" but either way, it's about mom influence shaping his view on that particular thing. So, yeah, mama's boy. :)

10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I would like it if we saw Kylo Ren turn on some within the First Order after he learns of Leia's fate. Would be especially amazing if it was Hux who ordered the hit and never once spoke to Kylo Ren at all. I would love to see Hux's face the moment Kylo Ren walked in.

HUX: "It was only business. I saw the opportunity and I too--"

Kylo Ren Force propels him directly up to the ceiling, pinning him to it.

KYLO: "You took. From me. And now you will pay for that.

HUX: "I am leader of the First Order. She was leading the enemy."

KYLO: "You're right. She lead. She lead an uprising and turned it into a Rebellion. She will be remembered for eternity as a Skywalker. You end now as nothing more than a footnote."

Hux looks at his hand and sees his own wrist Force broken. He screams in pain.

KYLO: "The wrist is such a weak joint. You can live a perfectly good life without a hand. Don't even get me started on the knee..."

Hux looks down at his leg while pinned to the ceiling. An audible pop is heard and Kylo removes his helmet."

KYLO: "You see, Armitage, I'll be the first to admit that I still have a lot to learn about combat... My former master was more concerned that I learn how to control my mind first and, well, I've ALWAYS known I could do this..."

Kylo raises his second hand up.

KYLO: I always hated the look of your eyes.

Hux tries to close his eyes but can't. He glances over at the doorway. Snoke has entered. His lip curls to a smirk. An audible pop is heard followed by sounds indescribable through words.

11. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Kulux Rises! [face_tee_hee]

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    What I'd like revealed is that Starkiller Base was a Death Star prototype that was taking too long so Krennik sought out Galen Erso which resulted in the first Death Star as we know it.
    It was created out of Ilum given the Emperor's spite and cruelty that wouldn't be a surprise.
    Snoke is a former Inquisitor whatever was calling the Emperor is STILL out there just as we don't know what brought Thrawn to join the Empire!

Rey I'd like revealed as Phasma's niece, BOTH are force sensitive unaware they're descendants of Schmi Skywalker dating from before she was enslaved and transferred to Tattooine from Parnassos.

The really crazy wish is that DJ is Ezra and we witness the survivors of the Ghost crew team up to take Snoke down!

As I said crazy!