main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Third Installment of the 2007 Jedi Draft [USWD Trial Underway]

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthIntegral, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Winners Bracket:

Ko He shin (4) vs. Team Rufio (3)

Losers Bracket:

Yoda and His Merry Men (2) vs. Emperor's New Groove (5)

F4, this time.

Darth Bane vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Yoda vs. Darth Sidious

2. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
  3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Yoda vs. Darth Sidious

Yow. But he can do flipz?

Wang: Oh, and I'd much rather be a Bane fanboy than a Kenobi fanboy.

Darth Bane vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi

I think that pretty much sums up my reply.

At least until you back up your statements. Or just respond to Zooks, in lieu of a thousand words.

EDIT: Oh, and it's actually 3-4 Rufio. The Janson/Fel autowin over the Gavin forfeit was given to the forfeit. :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Huh? I mean... huh? What sums up your reply? A copy/paste of the matchup? I... don't care about the matchup. At all. And who happens to win (and I'd still say Kenobi for the time being, btw) doesn't change the fact that I much prefer Bane's character to that of Kenobi's nowadays. That's what I was talking about. Not too sure where you're coming from here.

I didn't even care about Caedus/Revan, and if you ask me now, I couldn't tell you what possessed me to even say anything about it in the first place. But my bad for sticking my nose in. Apologies all around. Go about your business and don't even worry about my opinions. I'm in no way involved here, and I won't be for the real deal, either.

Seriously, I just don't care about Star Wars drafts anymore (and fyi, my caring had been on life support for quite some time prior to the last draft), and I only really still check the threads because, hey, they still make for some semi-interesting reading from time to time when I have nothing much better to do. But I'm just not interested enough anymore about who can Force-push harder or who can swing a glowing stick with more precision to get involved in any drawn-out debates on the topic. I find it all to be a bit too stale for my liking, so thanks, but no thanks.

Maybe I could condense my thoughts on Caedus into a few sentences, but I'm certainly not stupid enough to think that it would actually end there. In fact... I think I know pretty much exactly how you guys would respond to it, give or take a few details. And believe me (Or don't. Whatever.), I have responses to that stuff. But that's precisely the thing I don't care enough to bother with now.

So, again, sorry. You don't have to worry about me butting in here anymore. And Ken, dude, if you really have an itch to debate me in a draft setting, you're just gonna have to look for me elsewhere. I'd be more than willing.

Peace out, Jedi Draft. [face_peace]

5. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    OK, if this was a real draft, I'd probably explain more on these judgements. Since it's not, let's keep it simple.

Kenobi is very good, no doubt about it. Bane, however, has more power. Whilst this didn't matter for Kenobi against Anakin, in this matchup he isn't anywhere near as well informed as how Bane fights as he was against Anakin. So, Bane ftw.

And, Sids.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I disagree on the Bane judgment. Kenobi has better skill, IMO, and much better quality and quantity of experience.

As we've seen many a times, these contests are decided not on knowledge of the Force, but on skill with a lightsaber. And I think when he gets it to that part of the duel, Kenobi is going to win.

But, yeah, agree that Sidious wins.

<h1>SUZUKI!!!!!</h1>
    We actually need you for one. :eek:

:p

7. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Wang: Huh? I mean... huh? What sums up your reply? A copy/paste of the matchup? I... don't care about the matchup. At all. And who happens to win (and I'd still say Kenobi for the time being, btw) doesn't change the fact that I much prefer Bane's character to that of Kenobi's nowadays. That's what I was talking about.

Yeah, see, my "reply" was tongue-in-cheek, Wang. Highlighting the irony of fact that Bane, of whom you would rather be a fanboy of, and Kenobi, of whom I would rather be a fanboy of, are now facing each other in this matchup. A matchup Kenobi is going to win. So rather than type out an actual reply to something you don't even care to discuss, I was content to let that speak for me.

I figured it was obvious that it wasn't a summary of an actual rebuttal, considering that it only addresses the very last part of your previous post-- which itself declares your preference for one character over another, a personal choice really rather ridiculous to objectively argue.

And Ken, dude, if you really have an itch to debate me in a draft setting, you're just gonna have to look for me elsewhere. I'd be more than willing.

Oh, I don't have an itch to debate you. I do have an interest in hearing people justify potshots they pop in and make at judgments with more than just "I could back it up but I just don't want to."

Which hey, cool, whatever floats your boat-- you can certainly have fun with drafts without having to delve into debate. But without actually supporting your statements, you'll excuse me if I call bantha poodoo on their claims.

As for the rest of that, I'm...sorry you feel that way? I mean, I definitely think the salad days have passed us by, but I still think it can be a fun game, especially with this new idea merging two different communities. But different strokes for different folks. Best of luck in your draft and other endeavors, Star Wars or not.

EDIT: Hahahaha, and Zooks is needed for once. :p And Kenobi's a Rumpke Agent here. Again.

8. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    That Bane vs Kenobi matchup would be interesting. If this is Bane in his prime, I would think he wins this. First of all, while many fights between jedi and sith are determined by their lightsaber, Bane uses his force powers a lot. And we can't forget how easily Dooku took out Kenobi with the force while also fending off Anakin in RotS. When powered up by orbalisks Bane is at least as powerful as Dooku, IMO. Also, the orbalisk armor gives Bane a large advantage in lightsaber combat, as it covers almost his entire body in armor impervious to lightsabers. Bane can use an extremely aggressive style and only have to worry about defending his head and wrists. The orbalisks heal injuries almost instantly and increase Bane's force power. Also, Kenobi's form 3, while usually very effective, would be detrimental in this battle. Kenobi wins by wearing down opponents and making them frustrated until they make a mistake. The more frustrated Bane gets, the more dark side energy the orbalisks pump into Bane, giving him an even larger force edge. The last thing Kenobi wants to do is get Bane so frustrated with lightsaber combat that he decides to make this a force match.
    Just my 2 cents.

9. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Thought new-prime Bane didn't have Orbalesks?

Haven't read Rule of Two, though. Just thought I'd heard they were gone.

10. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    The orbalisks are removed at the end of Rule of Two.

11. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I graduated this weekend, traveled to my sister's graduation, and have computer access only because our flight schedule messed up and we got stranded at a hotel here in D.C., so forgive me if I make this brief - but I'm going with Bane. The long and the short of it is that Kenobi is the more impressive fighter but this is just an awful matchup for him, since he seems to have difficulty dealing with purely Force offensive powers and is better at improvising defenses for physical attacks - which I don't think is the limit to Bane's rather extensive arsenal.

12. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Not that I am that bothered by the call, but there seems to be a development of Obi-wan after ever battle.

Maul vs Obi-wan...he nearly loses do to the darkside, he doesn't use the darkside any more in fights

Dooku vs Obi-wan...he loses due to saber skills, improves his saber skills until it is near impossible to break his defenses

Dooku vs Obi-wan..he loses due to the force, he begins to expect more Force attacks and is able match Anakin and anyone else he fights here on in.

So after ever fight he seems to learn more and apply it to the fights. Really just how I see it though.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Winners Bracket:

Ko He shin (5) vs. Team Rufio (3)

Losers Bracket:

Yoda and His Merry Men (2) vs. Emperor's New Groove (6)

NF2, this time.

Durge (Prepared with Judder Page) vs. Kyle Katarn (forfeit)
    HK-47 (Prepared by Garm Bel Iblis) vs. Kir Kanos

14. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Wow. That's laughable.

Since I'm still away from home right now and can't respond to all of that at the moment, I'll just say this-- anyone read Shatterpoint, much? "Ultimate answer to power is skill"? There's a reason guys like Kar Vastor don't simply tear through the upper echelons of the Draft. And Kenobi's not only parsecs more skilled, but parsecs more experienced in using it and being efficient. Sith Lords are his speshy-ality. Nevermind that Bane's Djem So, which is all about power, is an absolute joke compared to Skywalker's.

EDIT: Oh, and it's 4-4 right now because the Wes/Fel trump win was still given to the forfeit. :p

At least Luke's up next. But I don't know he might lose Exar Kun is pretty powerful!!!

lol.

15. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Ahahaha! Oh, were I but a lesser man I would... actually, I totally am a lesser man, so...

BOOYAH!

Oh, wait, I'm not even here.

*scampers off*

16. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Yeah, about that. Find me a really skilled 80-year old karate teacher, and I'll raise you Kimbo Slice. See who wins.

In the end, that quote is just a cute adage that may have been accurate in that situation but doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. Power is one way to be a good fighter, skill is another, but one doesn't trump the other and anyone who thinks so is kidding themselves, whether in real life or in Star Wars(see: Anakin vs. Dooku, RotS). And if you think Bane is Kar Vastor, he's, well, not. And if you think Bane's win would come from t3h saber, well, it wouldn't. k? k.

17. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002

because they've never used a lightsabre?

18. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Wang: Van Damme? No Chuck?

Zooks: Yeah, about that. Find me a really skilled 80-year old karate teacher, and I'll raise you Kimbo Slice. See who wins.

In the end, that quote is just a cute adage that may have been accurate in that situation but doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. Power is one way to be a good fighter, skill is another, but one doesn't trump the other and anyone who thinks so is kidding themselves, whether in real life or in Star Wars(see: Anakin vs. Dooku, RotS).

Unfortunately, you err in your assumption that the "cute adage" is an assertion that one trumps another. It's not "skill is better than power." Hardly. It's that skill is the ultimate answer to power. That's how it was used in its particular context, and that's how it's also applied more broadly. Vastor's younger, stronger, even more powerful in the Force (telekinesis also touched on specifically to be included here with physical power) in that fight-- and yet Mace's technique turns it from a power struggle into him pounding fists into Kar's face, where otherwise he'd be overwhelmed.

Of course it's not some magical end all-- an 80-year-old karate teacher isn't going to be winning any major MMA matches anytime soon. But the fact is, an 80-year-old karate teacher is going to have a better chance against Kimbo Slice than, say, an 80-year-old English boxer. Even though both are obviously going to lose, because...well, they're 80 years old, and the gap in strength between themselves and Kimbo is much too large to overcome (amongst other things, such as speed, but that particular analogy seemed to be more for effect and probably humor than a totally accurate identity of relation).

Without such a ridiculously wide gap, however, skill is definitely an effective way to overcome a power disadvantage. Yes, "power is one way to be a good fighter"-- Anakin did blow through Dooku that way. But he couldn't blow through Kenobi that way. Just like Vastor couldn't blow through Windu that way. Skill combats it. Rickson Gracie's never knocked anyone out, but he'd make Kimbo Slice look like one of those crappy battle droids.

Shatterpoint was written by an expert martial artist, after all. And speaking of jeet kune do, Kenobi is easily the most in tune with that philosphy-- Chapter 7 of RotS is basically an illustration of it. And I think you'd agree that Bruce Lee would tear through...well, he'd probably tear through just about anyone. But still. I'm off-topic now. Most of this is off-topic. The topic should be how I'm going to get to your graduation party.

And if you think Bane is Kar Vastor, he's, well, not. And if you think Bane's win would come from t3h saber, well, it wouldn't. k? k.

Hardly saying Bane is Kar Vastor. Or Vastor is Bane. Or some other variation. But he's not gonna win this match based solely on power, especially against someone like Kenobi, just like Vastor isn't a first-rounder because of his power. I actually don't think Bane would win at all, regardless of sabers of t3h.

Congrats again on graduating, though. Do I have to bring a dessert to the party? Or money? I could bring some cool-looking rocks from Lake Erie and some useless Star Wars knowledge. But you can't have the rocks.

Nigel: because they've never used a lightsabre?

Also, small hands. Smell like cabbage.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm guessing we're getting nothing on the current matches then?

Well, then, I like HK-47. I like him against Kanos without the prep time, and with it, I'm not certain it'll be that close. Depending, of course, on how well he and Iblis get along. That is to say, how well he listens to Iblis. Well enough, I'd say, and a victory to him.

20. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    With the prep, HK's not going to lose this

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Winners Bracket:

Ko He shin (5) vs. Team Rufio (4)

Losers Bracket:

Yoda and His Merry Men (3) vs. Emperor's New Groove (6)

F3 to finish it ...

Exar Kunstoppable vs. Teh Luke
    The Exile (Prepared by Admiral Ackbar) vs. Darth Maul (forfeit)

Luke takes us to teams, yes?

22. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005

24. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Oh. Teams.

Luke, Ulic, Mara, Fett, Kyle vs. Skywalker, Bane, Durge

Team Rufio wins.

Fel, Han, Kyp, Janson vs. Tycho, Gavin, Tiin

Team Rufio wins.

Leia, Hobbie vs. Declann, Page

Slave outfit.

In conclusion, Team Rufio wins.

25. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Go no teams, and hurray for not going against Ken again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.