main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They don't have to pay him royalties every time they use the character - but they do pay him to write the Thrawn novel - so that, if nothing else, is reason for him to be pleased to see them bringing Thrawn into the newcanon.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Let's say he cannot really officially complain: Disney is the boss and his employer...

Vialco likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I really doubted they'd actually care that much seeing how you see actors and authors have opinions even if negative on some SW properties.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, Thrawn is a villain. And villains who don't appear in the films tend suffer bad fates on Rebels.

Grand Inquisitor, Fifth Brother, Seventh Sister and Eighth Brother were the main villains of Season One and Two and they are all dead. So Thrawn may not survive.

6. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    There's a world of difference between the Inquisitors and someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn.

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I doubt that he'll get killed in Rebels, but he might get killed in another book by Zahn, placed sometime between the end of Rebels and ROTJ. I don't think he'll survive until the post-Endor period.

8. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Exactly. I accepted the fact that the Grand Inquisitor and the Sister and Brother villains were killed off. But the thought of killing off a true tactician and chess master like Thrawn does not sit well with me. They can put Thrawn on a bus. Like Sheev gives him a mission that takes him away from the Ghost crew. But killing him off? No just no.

Darth Maul should be the baddie that bites that dust in Season 3. Unless they have already decided to seal his fate in the Obi-Wan spinoff film. That is probably the case but I could be wrong.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Thrawn was created for post-ROTJ period and I see no reason why he couldn't live all the way there just because he appears in rebels-Vader was the bad guy in many episodes- especially in season 2 pilot- yet we know he lives after this show- similarly Thrawn may just have other things to do than solve the rebel problem of Governor Pryce- which is after all one of many rebel cells not the greatest problem in the universe like jedi order was for Palpatine or Empire is for entire Rebel Alliance in original trilogy.

Before that he probably does some heavy damage though- maybe even defeats the Ghost-team in a way that he can leave like a victor. That doesn't mean he needs to kill all the main characters (that simply doesn't happen in a show like this) but if he could for example strike such a heavy blow that all ghost members would appear neutralized (some presumed dead, some of them imprisoned or something like that) he could then leave Pryce like "mission accomplished- have fun with your new prisoners" and then rebels would survive by defeating Pryce and it would seem like it was her failure not Thrawn's who would have important missions for the Emperor elsewhere (like Vader had). After all these Lothal rebels are first and foremost problem for Pryce and Kallus who are responsible for that sector (answering for Tarkin and ultimately for the Emperor)- Thrawn is now helping Pryce to defeat them but he doesn't need to die for them to survive. He may die but I hope he is not wasted as potential resource, but they actually use him well before getting rid of him.

iPodwithnomusic and Vana like this.
  10. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Someone on Twitter says that the working title for an upcoming episode of rebels would have been Game of Thrawn's written by the same person who wrote Hera's Heroes

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Can you link this tweet please.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you have a source?

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Heh, someone's already thought of that one by the looks of things...

[​IMG]

14. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    Search Star Wars Rebels Game of Thrawn on Twitter

15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    If Thrawn does not live beyond RotJ I'm gonna laugh, then I'm gonna be sad.

Erkan12 likes this.
  16. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    But he says "was a working title" so they gave up the idea I guess...

17. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes but doesn't that imply that this is a Thrawn-centric episode ?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    When you play the Game of Thrawn's... you win or you die.

19. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Which episode? well, we know that we will see Thrawn again, so we can guess that there will be an episode more Thrawn-centric in the future... but we don't know which one yet.

20. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    I have not read the full thread, coming here to ask a question....I love the character from the books as many of you here....I get it they reset the EU etc....BUT how would they explain that Thrawn disappear before the beginning of Episode IV? Because there is no way he could not have been a pivotal character if alive. And he would have changed the course of the war. Also they should have introduced him as a captain so he could grow in rank not as a Grand Admiral....like it was done in that prequel novel....don't they think about this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We don't know what part he plays in the ANH-on timeline, if any.

And his rank will be addressed in the upcoming Thrawn novel, which will most likely end with him becoming a grand admiral.

22. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    There is no problem in finding a good reason to explain why Thrawn was not there for the events of ANH. It was already like this in the books, and it was explained: Thrawn was away, far away in the Unknown regions for his own mission of expansion. And Palpatine thought that the Rebellion was no big deal and that Vader could end the problem.

it could be exactly the same in the new timeline: Thrawn can be sent away in the Unknown regions to conquer the worlds over there for the Empire.

23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Orrrrrrr. As stated in the nucanon, the GE sent out explorers to the unknown regions looking for a "wellspring".

Who a better leader than Thrawn?

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Look as long as it's not the Vong I'm cool.

Darth Basin likes this.
  25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Thrawn's absence during the OT in current canon is in no way a problem or anything different from his absence during the OT in Legends. The Galaxy is a big place and the Empire had a lot of moving parts all doing their own thing, and as others have mentioned, Thrawn's exploits in the Unknown Regions could easily be adapted and used as an explaination for his absence. If some outside threat like Nuso Esva (as an example) popped up and posed a threat to Palpatine's rule then he'd likely send his brightest out to deal with that while the Vader and Tarkin dealt with the rebels.

As for his rank, well I'd say that comes down partially to the fact that the character's most iconic image is that of him in his white Grand Admiral uniform, and partially because Zahn himself never got to write about Thrawn's promotion. He mentioned at NYCC that previously he had to go with the TIE fighter game that others had written as the explaination for how Thrawn reached his rank, whereas now he gets the freedom to do his version of that.