main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thrawn Trilogy: Overrated?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by slimybug, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Stover's novels are popular because they are serious. "Everything I write is serious as an Ebola outbreak in downtown Manhattan. It's just not solemn -- it's a sad fact of our society that solemn is so consistently confused with serious, when they're not at all the same thing."

2. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    It's needed (or at least it's important) when talking about the movement of a large military force and the logistics of keeping it in the field. The clones are shown to possess armor and blasters. I'm sure you'll agree that they used more than that in the battle in the movie. I just find your argument that Yoda just showed up on Kamino, told the clones to move out, and they all left in no time flat.

There's a difference between being prepared (through training) and being prepared logistically which is my point.

Usually when a movie cuts between various points of view of a particular event (in this case Anakin/Padme and Obi Wan) it's to imply that the 2 (or more) points of view are occurring simultaneously.

I think we've gone far off topic though so i'll leave it there.

Lastly, good luck (seriously).

3. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Agreed

Yes, Army Infantry. You're probably right. But I think this discussion has gotten far off topic so i've spoken my peace and will move on.

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Sifo Dyas

5. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013

Actually, Darth Plagueis explains that Palpatine used Hego Damask's fortune to pay for it, Sifo Dyas was just the poor fool they got to sign the reciept. The issue is, the Republic should still be entirely unprepared. Also, why Jedi generals? Why not actual military commanders with actual military training? Anyway, none of this is relevant to this thread, so I'm just going to drop it, if noone minds.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Palpatine didn't want to win the Clone Wars. He deliberately engineered it for parity and as leader of both sides deliberately maintained parity as long as possible.

7. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes it is.

1.) Thrawn knows every single thing the New Republic is about to do. And you really want me to believe the Empire conquers almost more then half the galaxy back?
    2.) Although it's nice to break away from Luke, Han and Leia, I feel that they weren't focused on enough. I recall nothing really significant Han did, for example.
    3.) People always says it's a must read in regards to continuity, but I feel it really only serves as an intro for Mara Jade and Karrde. Nothing else really significant happens.

I actually prefer the Hand of Thrawn Duology, and I am not trolling. No overpowered Thrawn. Adding to continuity of ending the Civil War at last.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And to kill Jedi too!

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Answer: Delta Source.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Interesting you say that since that since (despite being dead) the all knowing, step ahead of Palpatine, Thrawn really became an issue. With Han Solo pretty much wetting his pants at the mention of Thrawns name.

That and the Mara, was super important and never did anything bad nonsense.

AusStig likes this.
  11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i loved overpowered Thrawn. It was so interesting how he was almost Psychic he was at what was going on around him. To me it made it fun. I would rather have overpowered Thrawn then an overpowered Palpatine or C'Boath

12. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I'm at the part in Last Command where Thrawn knows all about the New Republic's attack on Bilbringi shipyards because he studied the favorite art of Ackbar and Madine (No Seriously). Thrawn had no idea that Karrde's people would be there by random chance. His weird art superpowers don't work on everyone.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Why's Madine in a position of authority? The man is incompetent. Didn't he have to steal Tydirium twice?

14. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It might be worth remembering, re. Thrawn, that magicians never tell the audience exactly 'how it was done'!

15. GreatBeyonder

Dec 6, 2013

He was discussing Garm Bel Iblis, not Madine, who is never mentioned in any Thrawn scene in any book ever.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thrawn is not a magician though, he is a military commander, the greatest of the age no less.

17. GreatBeyonder

Dec 6, 2013
    Thrawn makes several mistakes in the book. He relies on an insane Jedi master. He incorrectly deduces a Noghri assassin was tortured by Wookies, and is lying to him out of shame. He, in reverse of Vader, does not kill characters when he really should. If Mara Jade, Niles Ferrier, and Joruus C'baoth had been executed when Pellaeon had suggested it, he'd have won.

There's a wonderful scene at one point in explains his reasoning which appears perfectly flawless, for why Khabarakh has escaped. The reader is aware its wrong, but otherwise, its a very convincing argument. The issue is, he doesn't know Leia was Vader's daughter, so the idea of Leia turning him never occurs to him in any way. He makes brilliant deductions, but he 's not omniscient, and does not always make the correct decisions off the info he does have..

ILNP likes this.
  18. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Have to respectfully disagree that the Thrawn trilogy (1991-1993) is overrated. IMHO, these are three of my top ten EU SW books (Spector of the Past, Vision of the Future, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye are also on the list).

Even if you ignore the fact that the Thrawn trilogy effectively kick-started the SW EU after years of being dormant, the novels are great in and of themselves. I liked the depiction of an Empire that was broken though not beaten; & the Noghri, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Talon Kardde, etc. were excellent new characters. Also liked the descriptions of the new tech that was featured in the novels (data pads, etc.). Sure, these novels weren't as fast paced as the OT, but that was the great thing about these - they were able to take the time for good character development, etc.

If you want cinematic-like thrills when reading early '90's SW EU, that's what DE I & II are for....;)

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  19. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    Well, non Mon cals are pretty much the same. Wookiepedia needs fixing, they mention him a few times like the third paragraph here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bren_Derlin

20. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So you are getting all your information form the wiki, not from reading the book?

Odolwa likes this.
  21. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    I didn't finish the book & can't remember that particular detail from the book so I'm not exactly claiming to be an information source in any form. Since everyone is saying he's analyzing Garm I'm not claiming otherwise. >.> (I totally have to go back and read that part now and prove its Madine)

22. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I'm just curious how one could comment on this book trilogy being overrated if they haven't read it entirely...

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What people don't realise is that Thrawn will act on a guess, it'll be a very good one, but it'll still just be a guess.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    right

but he does have legendary powers of observation and reasoning

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And sometimes, no matter how much you dress it up, a guess is still a guess. Where Bilbringi is concerned Thrawn had no reason to draw the conclusion he did, it was just a damn good hunch.

SiouxFan and Revanfan1 like this.