main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thunderbirds are go - remake of classic series

Discussion in 'Community' started by gezvader28, Apr 6, 2015.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So we've just had the first 2 espisodes here in the UK .

hmm . . . not a patch on the original . Basically they've just sped everything up , there's no tension or build-up , just disaster - TBs rush in- solve it quickly .

Lady Penelope looks awful .

there's no charm or class , the voices are dull .

having said all that , it's ok , it's watchable , but . . .

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Is it done marionette style like the classic series?

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I don't know. This looks a lot better than Jonathan Frakes' Blunderbirds. :p

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I was so hyped for this when I first heard about it, but something about the CGI characters hurts it for me. Plus all the characters look like they're part of One Direction.

Might eventually watch it, but I want to see how the rest of the season gets reviewed.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. That thought occurred to me as well. As I was watching the title sequence, I thought, "Is it my imagination or do the Thunderbird pilots all look as if they're only 15?" :p

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm a huge fan of the original show considering my age. I was a bit skeptical hearing it was being rebooted however I thought it was fantastic. Overall I loved what I saw with the use of model work, the CG (Reminded me of TCW) and the nods to the original with the theme and countdown. It's the best of both worlds trying to cater for new and old fans. It holds nothing on the original but it never was going to. Only issue I have with the show was changing Brains to be all PC.

jp-30 likes this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    no , the characters and vehicles are done in CGI , the backgrounds are done as miniatures .

the CG of the vehicles isn't very good , nothing has any weight , it all moves too quickly like a lot of CG .

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Sounds like a pretty faithful 21st century compromise. On paper at least. But glancing at the characters, it looks like they've moved their operations from Tracy Island to Uncanny Valley.

10. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    The third episode, 'Space Race' was extremely boring and predictable. The fourth episode however, 'Crosscut' definitely got the show back on track and we get to see the revamped Mole vehicle :)

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    no strings attached

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  12. Jhotoh_Yularis

Jhotoh_Yularis Jedi Master

Mar 12, 2015
    Obviously this show can't live up to the original but I think for what it is the CG is actually rather well done considering it has to blend in with practical sets, looks pretty good to me.

Sure the Thunderbirds are updated a bit but it's obvious when you look at each of them you know what they are to see them, at least they're recognizable....when you see T2 you know that's T2! It's the same with some of the characters... the CG model for Scott Tracy almost looks identical to the original marionette. As far as their outfits, i do miss their hats :(

I agree the episodes have felt rushed and really fast but they're also much shorter than what the originals were so they kinda have to cut to the chase in that respect.

The show might have some growing pains but I'm liking this so far.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  13. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Disappointing to see them already remaking some of the classic episodes. The Fireflash episode was terrible :(