main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TIE Fighters in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by plaidphoenix, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Will we see TIE Fighters in the ST?

1. Yes, they're still out there and we will see them.

34.0%
  2. We will see the next generation TIE Fighter

60.6%
  3. No, we won't see them at all.

5.3%
  4. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, that pretty much the only difference between the normal ST TIEs and the OT ones.

2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Ok, so what do Special Forces TIE's do that ordinary TIE's don't do other than carry a passenger?

3. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Judging by the looks: shoot more and harder. They have a load of guns the ordinary TIEs have not.

thejeditraitor and Django Fett like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I really wish they would have changed up the design of the TIE's some more. I would have liked to see a progression from Vulture Droids to TIEs to ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you compare the TIE standing up to the Vultures, they do look like they belong to the same family of ships in my opinion (like the ARC-170s and X-Wings). I was hoping for another progression I guess :(

NostalgiaFan and Darth_Bertie like this.
  5. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    If that's the case I really hope the Resistance develops a Special Forces Y-Wing two seat fighter with more guns and missile launchers.

6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Belly turret. Some sorta gun-mount on the top of the cockpit next to the hatch (the Black Series toy images show it raised like antenna or something, but the detailed closeups show at least one hinge on it and the sculpt looks more like gun barrels). No idea what the "wheels" where the wings meet the supports are, maybe related to the engines or a hyperdrive, maybe related to weaponry, maybe shield generators. Rebelscum posted a TON of detailed images of the ship, tho, so go check 'em out. We don't know the function of everything yet, but you can see the major differences.

Slight problem with your idea of progression there... TIEs didn't evolve from Vulture Droids, they evolved from Jedi Starfighters.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That's even more progression then TIEs to Vultures then IMO :p

Thanks for that btw, I did not know that relationship.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  8. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    TIE's evolved from Jedi Interceptors which partially evolved from Jedi Starfighters. A-Wings evolved from Jedi Starfighters as well as the V-Wing Starfighter.

NostalgiaFan and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Always cool to learn more Star Wars, thanks! :)

NostalgiaFan and Django Fett like this.
  10. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    So was I. I really hope there was some cold war between 6 and 7 that slowed the progress of technology where there has been plans to make newer and better star fighters in secret that happen to appear with a prototype or a handful in this film. By 8 they begin to take over for the previous mass produced ships so that by 9 everything looks completely different compared to what we see not only in the OT but what we see in episode 7.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I feel like 30 years later doesn't really mean tie fighters change much visually. They might get upgrades but just like in real life, good ships usually stick around for a long time.

Having said that, I love the white panels in the new ones.

Messi likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's what Django calls a "Jedi Starfighter": http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Delta-7_Aethersprite-class_light_interceptor

Here's what Django calls a "Jedi Interceptor": http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis-class_interceptor

Here's a V-Wing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha-3_Nimbus-class_V-wing_starfighter

13. NostalgiaFan

May 24, 2015
    Except it does. We saw a clear evolution of the Jedi Starfighter and many others over the course of the Clone Wars, Which was only 3 years. From Episode 3 we saw the similar, but very different in appearance Y-Wings and Jedi ships that showed progress to the Tie Fighters and X-Wings of the OT, which was 20 years. This is taking place 30 years after the OT which is the biggest time gap we have seen yet and we are supposed to believe it has had the LEAST amount of technological progress? Yeah I don't buy that, unless they state that there have been no wars in the galaxy on the scale of the Galactic Civil War and things have been mostly peaceful then there is no logic in everything looking the same.

"real life" I have an aneurysm every time people use this excuse.
    1. We are not talking about one planet that is not even close to exploring it's solar system, we are talking about a Galaxy that has it's thousand of species in contact with each other, Developed the ability to travel to other planets millions of light years away in only a week or less, and had Countless ages of warfare throughout it's millenniums. I really see no reason why they would struggle with making new military technology in only 30 decades.

2. Even when talking about real life it's just as wrong. We are not keeping old military equipment because we just want to keep it around, we are keeping it because there is nothing forcing us to get better. We have not had a conflict as devastating and resource draining as the world wars and they are the best example of how quick we can change our technology when pushed by rivals. Compare the time between WW1 to WW2 which is a 30 year time frame just like we have in TFA, and you can clearly see a major change in military gear. In WW1 we were just getting used to the machine gun as mobile weapons we had to carry and then place somewhere to fire, in WW2 we had it as common firearms just like a rifle. In WW1 we introduced the Air Plane which was light, slow ,short ranged and made of wood. In WW2 the Air Plane was faster and made of metal, could carry more weight for bombs, and had more guns it could use for aerial combat. In WW1 we introduced the Tank at the very end if the war where the few we had were very slow and clunky and not very mobile on the battle field. In WW2 the Tank was far more powerful, armored, and most of all, mobile. The reason we have not made as much drastic changes as then is because early on the two leading powers were more focused on missile and space technology and because there has never been as much need to improve during the years following WW2 with there not being a conflict on that scale since then. If there has been no conflict or major one going on since ROTJ then it would make sense for there to not be much difference but if it is the other way around there is no excuse but pure laziness.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  14. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    There is no need to burst our heads too much with this. The ships are almost the same of the ones in the OT to keep the same vibe. It´s a "real sets, practical effects" thing. The ships have evolved much more in far less time between other movies and real life is hardly an excuse.

The Resistance should have newer ships and the FO a real new TIE, or at least interceptors, that were more advanced than the TIEs.

Shamear, Darkslayer and NostalgiaFan like this.
  15. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Looks to be a 2-seater with an additional blaster turret on the bottom, and maybe additional guns near the wings, judging by the toy they announced.

Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    As far as technological evolution of military equipment goes, I'm under the impression that tech in the GFFA reached a plateau, probably thousands of years ago. Designs change according to fashions and styles and whatever tactical/strategic doctrines are popular at the time, but real improvements to military technology haven't happened for a long time. Every now and then someone chooses to push the existing tech to its limits and build an anomaly like a Death Star, but that doesn't lead to the kinds of advances we saw on Earth between WW1 and WW2.

I'm not sure where I got that impression, but it seems to fit most of what we see in SW.

Dak Oolron, Rabs and TK327 like this.
  17. NostalgiaFan

May 24, 2015
    Which has never been stated in any canon source, ever. All we have seen up to this point is technology far more advance then ours progress over shorter periods time then the one we are seeing in the new movie.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What technological advances have we seen in the movies? We see ships that look different, but do they fly any faster onscreen or do more damage? I haven't seen any sign of it.

Dak Oolron and TK327 like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    For me, seeing the Rebels/New Republic use primarily A-Wings and B-Wings would have been enough. At least the new X-Wings look cool and a bit different though. I just don't like the new TIEs as much because they just look like a re-color of the OT ones.

20. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Bigger ships I suppose. Death Star and Star Destroyers.

21. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Trade Federation Capital ships (The big circular ones) were as big, if not bigger, than Imperial Class Star Destroyers.

Death Star though, well that's in it's own class of BIG.

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Considering the fact that technology seemed to get worse from the PT to the OT , I guess the fact that it appears to have stayed the same from OT to the ST is, in its own way, progress.

Darkslayer and Dak Oolron like this.
  23. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I agree. I also made a similar post months ago.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. The Chosen TML Fan

The Chosen TML Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2015
    I remember reading how the Interceptor was the answer to massive numbers of TIE Fighters, but we only saw glimpses of them in the movies, do you think the TIE Fighter will be the only twin engine fighter we'll see?. Or will the Interceptor have it's time to shine?.

25. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I *think* you can see the wing of one at the left hand side of the frame in the second trailer when that TIE is shooting up the hanger. Though if there are no Interceptors (which would be pity in my opinion), they could explain it away by putting it down to it being more cost efficient to produce normal TIE fighters or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.