main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Title Announcement - When?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Maybe the Ancient Fear refers to Darth Plagueis or another sith longtime gone, played by Von Sydow, that appears to the then jedi Adam Driver character and turns him to the Dark Side.

That could be the fear the jedi always have to be tempted by the dark side of the Force. Just my two cents.

2. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    This seems infinitely plausible. Especially with Luke attempting to keep his new Order in line with Light values, one of his Knights or Apprentices turning bad would be hard, and dramatic.

3. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Fear is the path to the dark side, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...

Fear is the dark side's base emotion, I could live very well with this title, this could be a direct link to the whole Moriband arc.

The Phantom Menace and A New Hope set up the basic tone of the trilogy in the same way...

Lord Nikon and Albert De Silva like this.
  4. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I think there is a big possibility that they actually have not settled for the title yet. They have a working title though. I think it´s a good thing, they should take their time. I agree that "The Ancient Fear" sets the tone to the ST in the same way as with the OT and PT. And i like it, its we need a bit of a mystery, and the thought of someone hiding, from the past, coming back to destroy, take revenge, or taking back what belongs to them, manipulate a young good jedi, well, its done before, but with the right nuances, i think it will be great. You need a reel threat. Not like the Trade Federation though. But vicious and mysterious, and strong.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Justice Crusade

A new galaxy-spanning conflict erupts when Chancellor Leia Solo is assassinated while visiting planet Naboo. Luke Skywalker and his Jedi Order are called upon when it is discovered that the killing is linked to a former Imperial Inquisitor. This will be a test for Luke and the young Jedi Knights that he trains. That test is centered on knowing the difference between justice and revenge...the Justice Crusade has begun.

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Dra--- likes this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I said this on the other thread but it should probably be here...

If this is really the working title, the reveal will probably force their hand. They'll either lock this title and announce it sooner than expected, or they'll scrap it and find a new one.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd like to believe that, but they didn't exactly do that when the Adam Driver rumor came out. I don't particularly see why they would need to officially release it soon. Even if it ended up being the final title (I hope so...I really like it! (though I would prefer "an" to "the")), there's nothing gained by making the official release earlier rather than later. I would think the timing of the official release would have more to do with marketing and selling products with the title on them.

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    One actor being rumored didn't require a cast announcement, but as soon as several actors were known, they pushed it forward on the agenda. The same thing happened with the news of the Disney sale, as well as the news that Arndt was writing. So with something as major as the title, I would imagine there's a good chance that it getting out there could force them into action one way or another. Of course if they weren't ready for that to happen, then I think there's a much lower chance of this being the final title because now they'd have to pay more for the domains, etc., and they probably want to surprise us when they do announce it.

10. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    pushed it forward? they announced it the same day as the read-through. You can't get more last minute than that. Would you let a cast member read their part, get excited, and not be able to share their excitement for another few days?
    I seem to remember the Disney sale taking everyone COMPLETELY by surprise. There were rumors of the sale before the announcement??
    Again, I don't remember any Arndt rumors before the day of the announcement.
    I doubt marketing strategies will have an effect on artistic decisions, which is what a title choice is. The film itself will last much longer than it's mystery boxes. I think JJ has enough artistic integrity to realize this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yes. Supposedly they weren't going to announce the cast until the 4th, but when more of the names got out they shuffled around the schedule at the last minute
    My understanding is that the news leaked and was about to go public so they made the big announcement themselves before that could happen
    They actually made that announcement the day after it leaked
    I think it's entirely possible, especially if this is only a working title. The fact is that they haven't even secured the domain yet. So if this is really a title they're serious about, they were caught unprepared and will now either have to scramble to get all the necessary clearances, which will be a lot more costly now that everyone knows what they're up to, or scrap it and think of a new one, which I think is much more likely. Especially if they weren't committed to using this title in the first place, which it sounds like they aren't.

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    What is the source of that schedule shifting?

13. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012

I just don't buy it. I'm not necessarily saying that they are seriously considering using this as the title, but if they are seriously considering using it, they are doing so for artistic reasons. I don't see JJ compromising on such a major artistic choice, which will last forever, simply to keep the mystery box going for a year or so or to temporarily avoid a lot of red tape. It makes no sense on the scale of time. If it's a working title and he changes it, it will be because he has come up with something that he feels is better artistically. The leakage of artistic info should not affect the info. That's bad art, and don't think JJ would stoop to that. There are techniques Disney could employ to keep people speculating, such as orchestrating false "leaks" of other titles, etc. But to change an artistic choice for that or to avoid red tape is too shallow for JJ.

14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    All I'm saying is that if it's a working title then there's a good chance it wasn't going to be used in the first place, so if it leaked then that would most likely increase the chances of it not being used. If it's something they're really committed to, then I wouldn't expect that to change, although I do think they'd be less likely to wait an especially long time before announcing a title that's already leaked.

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head. I just know that there were some videos planned for that day that got delayed because the cast announcement was a last minute change in the schedule.

15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Ah. Well a delay in videos planned for that day doesn't necessarily mean May 4th was going to be the cast announcement. It could mean that the official site was never given a specific schedule on when the cast would be announced and thus they were to proceed as normal until word was sent down. I asked someone else when they brought it up a day or two ago and I didn't get a reply back. I'm starting to wonder if some info is being conflated.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    True. I know a number of people were rumoring May 4th for the announcement, and I seem to recall that plan being confirmed after the fact by some of them as well, but obviously it isn't something I can be 100% sure about. Nevertheless, this is all semantics and my overall point remains.

17. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I know that's what you're saying, I just disagree with the bolded parts as they seem groundless.
    I think JJ will choose a title based solely on artistic merit. So, if there's a good chance the title won't be used, I have no reason to think leakage would have any effect on that chance.
    If it is the real title, I see no benefit in a premature release of it. I don't see what difference it makes. You don't need to release a title to get all the clearance, etc.

18. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    All signs point to a title reveal at SDCC 2014.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Hate to be a thread Nazi but why are there 2 Title speculation threads? Surely "when" can be part of the main discussion.

20. Twwwon

Twwwon Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    I'd bet that it'll be around the time we get our first photo, which I think will be around SDCC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

21. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    So SDCC 2014 came and went, and no title. Any other theories?

22. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Around 9-12 months before the film premieres. Bank on it.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think we've all been trying to read the tea leaves since the movie was announced, looking at every significant Star Wars or Disney related date on the calendar for clues on when various announcements might come. Remember when we were all on pins and needles waiting for the cast to be announced? "I bet they'll reveal it here because it's this" or "I bet they'll release it here because it's that.". In the end, it came out of the blue on a random Tuesday in late April. I'd guess the same will happen with the title.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The Phantom Menace was officially announced in September 1998, 8 months before its release.

8 months puts Episode VII's title announcement right smack dab between Celebration VII (April) and May the 4th.

Dewback likes this.
  25. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Celebration VII it is then. Gotta be.

Dewback likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.