main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ Space Ignorance Questions

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MasterJediEcho, Dec 19, 2017.

1. MasterJediEcho

MasterJediEcho Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2017
    Did anyone else notice the scene where Paige Tiko is dropping the bombs out of her ship with the doors open on the bottom and there is no barrier or shield to keep air in or space out as she lays there breathing with the bombs dropping all around her? Also, after Leia force pulled herself through space and touched the window on the door, it is implied that they just open that door to let her back in. How can this be done in the vacuum of space without a double set of doors? I know that all SW films have flaws like these but I can normally come up with my own in universe explanations to help me get past them. Did you all notice this? Also, please don’t tell me that there is fire and sound in SW space. I’m not interested in that, I’d like to discuss how they may be able to do those things in universe.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    This has been part of star wars since they pulled the falcon into the death star.

It is assumed to be force fields.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    ^ Correct answer.

That was a short thread discussion.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    the issue is that the DS hangar has lights around it which gives the impression of shields and i believe there was an effect when the falcon went through it.

In this movie none of those two things were shown.

5. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Space is different in the SW galaxy. You can hear sound in space, you can see distant star systems destroyed in real-time by gigantic blaster bolts, and fighter ships fly around with aerodynamics that are not characteristic of what it would be like (I believe the newer-ish Battlestar Galactica shows a closer idea of how such flying might look). So, yeah; it's a different galaxy, very far away, with physical properties that are different, maybe because of the presence of the Force. Also, SW is a fairy tale that happened long ago (not science fiction, science fantasy).

6. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Double post.

7. Ireallylikestarwarssomuch

Ireallylikestarwarssomuch Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2017
    Not to mention the bombs literally dropping straight down? I'd have to look again to see if there was some sort of feature to them that indicated that they were guided. The seemed to fall with no real direction or sense of targeting however.

You have to think that it's been discussed. When millions of fans notice something immediately I would like to think it's that obvious to the creators but they are likely also completely engulfed in so many different things to make it hard to see some of the glaring mistakes? Or maybe they're like "eff it, just make it like this who cares it's too complicated to make it different"?

8. MasterJediEcho

Jun 27, 2017
    Yes I did not even think about those bombs dropping straight down... maybe that have some type of technology that magnetized them to First Order metals? I hope all of this wasn’t an oversight by the films creators and is actually more simply than it seems

9. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Dumb bombs in space really makes sense... If only they'd a few Y-wings with Ion torpedoes! ;)

jimtalkbox likes this.
  10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The VD makes it clear the bombs do not actually drop, but are ejected using magnetic impellers.

11. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    Well, to be fair Star Wars and Physics have had a "loose association" over the series.

Strongbow likes this.
  12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    As said elsewhere, the only time science ever comes up in a Star Wars discussion is when it's about something they don't like. It's not about drawing arbitary lines, there is no line and never has been.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the artillery fire from the Star Destroyers is a bit more problematic, personally. They're in space, and we haven't been given any reason to believe ships generate planet-level gravity wells beyond their hulls. Or that the plasma bolts are actually guided missiles.

Yet what we see, is arcing fire, exactly like the whole thing takes place within a powerful gravity well.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    As soon as a movie has to explain certain things afterwards, there has something been wrong.

fizzbin likes this.
  15. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Lets just pretend that the bombs are "launched" out with some sort of projection, kind of like the dropships in Aliens that are catapulted from orbit. But, yeah, it seems like it would be cheaper to get your hands on a few Y-Wings, which are faster and more maneuverable, and can deliver an ion torpedo payload much faster than a fleet of big, slow, ships with a nice front profile.

16. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I think the ships slowing down because they'd run out of fuel was a big scientific "mistake". One can only assume that there was some gravity acting on them from the local sun or a gas giant that was off screen or a tractor beam.

Cantina Regular likes this.
  17. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    There was a double set of doors when Leia got back into the ship (noticed during my second viewing) however there was not indicator or sound that said doorway sealed allowing the opening of the one we see. Oversight?

18. MasterJediEcho

Jun 27, 2017
    I also have seen it twice and have not noticed these double doors. I would be thrilled to see them though!

19. MasterJediEcho

Jun 27, 2017
    I personally loved the movie and I am a fan of every SW movie so far, but there are things in each one of them that don’t make sense so I have to retcon it in my head. I’m just trying to get some ideas here or see if I missed anything in the movie. We all love crawling into that SW universe bubble but some of us are more realist than others and need that bubble to make at least some common sense!

Sarge likes this.
  20. MasterJediEcho

Jun 27, 2017
    Thank you for telling me this, I was thinking about picking up the VD. I love details like these that SW is so good about normally

Strongbow likes this.
  21. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    It's space fantasy so I don't think this type of stuff matters.

Disney is at fault of course for selling guidebooks and such when really everything in Star Wars runs on pixie dust. The "lived in" universe atheistic can wrongly convince people that it really is lived in.