main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Toy Drive

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by MakanPyralis, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    As charity coordinator (which I don?t have a title yet) I was thinking we should do some kind of toy drive. I am not sure for what yet, thinking maybe for kids that are in the hospital for Christmas, or something. We could make a couple appearances at some of the malls, there are enough in the area. We could receive money donations, or toy donations for pictures. I would be willing to go to radio stations and let them know that we are doing it, to get more help. We could raffle of an appearance to help raise money. I?m not sure if this is a good idea, but I would more than happily start this. I know that there is a toys for tots in the area?.but star wars characters are soo much cooler! Please tell me what you all think!

-kyle

2. WattosWrath

WattosWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2006
    I think it's a good idea, Kyle. The kids would be happy.

3. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Toy drives are great because you can work with shelters and other outreach programs to bring the gifts to the kids during the holidays. And with costumes its an added bonus.
    Nice thinking Kyle.

4. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Kyle, I have a contact with Toys for Tots. I'll send it your way.

5. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    yea, but thinking about last year, and how they "wanted us to help them" i think we should try one on our own........

6. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Let me know what you need for me to do...

7. Aunna_Lauren

Aunna_Lauren Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2006
    What about picking one local pantry to raise for. Sometimes there is a drive and only a few kids recieve one toy. By selecting one pantry, all the children who's family uses their services would recieve a number of really nice presents. I've seen it done before and the families are thrilled beyond belief!
    Annie

8. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    we could do that

9. longbino

longbino Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2004
    I would be happy to help however heeded...oh and by the way my kids love free toys! ;)

10. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    I have an excellent contact at the Red Cross if you would like it, Kyle. Our church does a 'household goods' drive for one family, usually one who has been burned out of their home.

I'm sure we could do a general toy drive or something else in coordination with them if you'd like. Let me know if you want the name.

11. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    if anyone would wanna take this from me...i am trying to get in a clinic study and if i get i will not be around from nov 25 to dec 23......so if i get it....who wants to take over?

12. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    is there a local childrens home in your area? they would love toys brought to them and know someone was thinking of them at the holidays :) Just a thought ;)

13. Aunna_Lauren

Oct 19, 2006
    I certainly could help coordinate this if you'd like.
    Let me know what you've done thus far and where you'd like to go with it, as it is your baby.
    If you don't get into the study, I'm still willing to work on this with you.
    Let me know,
    Annie

PS Just thought, maybe we could put together one hell of a Christmas party for the kids at
    the children's ward at Roswell C.I. and have Chris hand out gifts in his Vader garb with a cheery Santa cap!?

14. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Let me know and I can talk to Human Resources to try to set something up.

15. Aunna_Lauren

Oct 19, 2006
    At Roswell? That would be awesome.
    First though I think we would need to have a meeting to select a date, confirm where we want the toys to go,
    and then decide whether we want to do a party to distribute the toys or to donate them with just our name attached.
    Maybe if folks are going to be at the meeting on the 18th at Chris' house we could touch on it then....
    Annie

16. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    We definitely need to get the ball rolling. The holidays come up fast and we could miss out.

We will need to figure out how to collect toys?

Where to collect?

Do we get any media/business support?

We also need to ask who from NR is planning on helping with this, whether it involves making a phone call, appearaing in costume, or whatever else we may need.

17. Aunna_Lauren

Oct 19, 2006
    Chris check my post in the November meeting posts....
    Annie

18. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I did see your post there, but am trying to keep everything to this thread. Otherwise, information tends to get lost and confuses people.

19. Aunna_Lauren

Oct 19, 2006
    Gotcha, not a problem!
    A

20. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    Ive been having one miserable day, everything is going completely wrong. I didn?t get the study, right now I couldn?t care less about this?..maybe I will feel better about it?

21. Aunna_Lauren

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm sorry to hear it. PM me about it if you need someone to talk about it....
    Annie

22. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    i have emailed Roswell Park and am waiting to hear back from them. As soon as i hear back, i will post more information.

23. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Peter works at Roswell and said he will get any info he can.

First, we need to figure out how we are going to go about this, even before we contact anyone to donate to. If we have no toys, there's no sense offering to donate.

24. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005

i didn't know peter worked at roswell. I just want to know where the toys are going, make sure we have somewhere for them to go before i worry about getting them. If we get the toys, and have no where to give them, then we have a problem. I just want to get this show on the road as fast as we can, like you said, its coming fast.

25. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    Agreed. The season for toy drives is already here. If we want to be successful, we have to start now. Any info from Peter, perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.