main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    I gotta say that I did like the Senate scene a lot. I think it was the best scene in the movie. Of course, I liked any scene with Ian McDiarmand in it. I just wish we had gotten another senate scene or two. I really think we should have SEEN the scene where Palpatine gets elected. I mean, that kind of thing is too important for them to just brush it over like that. So yeah, I agree with you, the Senate was great. I certainly would have preferred additional scenes in the Senate to that Gungan battle, or a lot of stuff that goes on in the Tattooine sequence. I feel Darth Maul is a tad overrated and Darth Sidious is a tad underrated.

2. ForceStrong

ForceStrong Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow, things are getting tense in here. I agree with DarthSeti5 that whatever problems there are between you guys you should keep it to PMs or just ignore them. I once had an issue with someone and I told them I found their manner of posting rude and that I intended to ignore their commets directed at me. I stopped answering them, not because I didn't agree with them, but because I disagreed with the way they treated other JCers. If you don't like they way they post, skip over their posts. You have every right to do that. But it is a bad idea to bad mouth them here.

Okay, time to get this thread back on track. We should have good vibes here. What was everyone's favorite line/s from TPM? I LOVED "There's always a bigger fish" and "If they find us, they will crush us, grind us into tiny pieces and blast us into oblivion!" Those lines always make me smile. Gotta love good ol'fashion GL dialog.

BTW, I agree Torgo that Maul is overrated. I wasn't all that impressed.

3. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    My favorite line was, "Wipe them out...all of them." It's delivered perfectly...kind of sends chills down your spine. That was the line that got me the most excited for TPM in the trailers.

As to Maul being overrated, I agree, although he was a great baddie and served his purpose well. He's only overrated because a lot of people think that he was underused, but, IMO, he was too shallow of a character to be developed any further.

-Patches

4. ForceStrong

Aug 6, 2001
    Ooo, I like that line too. The TPM trailers were great. I remember Sio Bibble's line "A communications disruption can mean only one thing..... invasion." Such a great pause. The other great one is "The boy is dangerous. They all see it, why can't you?" It made me wonder what Anakin had done already, hehehe.

5. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    To be honest, I also liked the beginning of the movie somewhat. You know, the first ten minutes or so before they meet up with Jar-Jar. We see Obi-Wan be impatient and Qui-Gon tell him something. If there had been more dialogue like that between them in the movie, I would have liked it better. Also, this dialogue shows a more conservative/stoic Qui-Gon Jinn, contrasted with a reckless and impatient Obi-Wan Kenobi. I like this much better than the way it ends up becoming for the rest of the film. I really do believe that they really should have Obi-Wan be the one who recognizes his potential, and insists on his training, despite the wishes of his master, not the other way around. Makes Obi-Wan more tragic, and the fall out Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have 3/4ths of the way through the movie more convincing and dramatic. It is also pretty exciting. I like them springing into the action as the gas comes into tthe room. And I like how the doors open, we see all the smoke, and we think the Jedi are going to come out, but it's just the protocol droid, and we think something happened to the Jedi, but then we see their lightsabers light up through the fog, and the come charging out. Great stuff, full of tension.I also like the "look" you "see" in TC-14's face when the Nemoidians tell them to "send the droid." We also get to see how protocol droids are used in a more formal setting then what we saw in the OT, which is cool (see, I don't want a remake of the OT). I think the beginning of the job shows TPM true potential, but that is just me. Others may think it shows it's true potential through out the whole movie, and I am OK with that.

Here's another thing I like which a lot of bashers disagree with me about: R2's introduction. We get to see that he is cooly repairing everything as all else goes to hell around him, just like the OT. I like the way how he starts out as, "just another droid" and is then pushed into a greater sphere were he becomes something greater then he appears. I like how low-key his first appearance in the saga is, and Lucas didn't go out of the way to make it shocking (but I feel 3PO isn't so lucky, but that's for another thread.)I like how, despite being low-key, it is still consistent with the character, and dramatic.

Thrt are a couple of lines of dialogue I find amusing and on track with the spirit of the OT, (Unsuprisingly, none of them are spoken by Jar-Jar, who was intended to be the first "funny" character.)

C-3PO- My parts are showing? My goodness!!!!

Qui-Gon- You here that? That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way!"

Obi-Wan- (grinning) If they find us, they will grind us into a million pieces and blast us into oblivion.

Obi-Wan- Don't worry, this hasn't been our day for warm welcomes.

Qui-Gon- Credits will do fine!!!

Watto- No, they won't!

Qui-Gon- No, credits will do fine!

Watto- No, they wont!!! What, do you think you are some kind of Jedi waving your hand around like that?

See, I can do more than just bash, bash, bash.

6. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    But it is a bad idea to bad mouth them here.... whatever problems there are between you guys you should keep it to PMs

Its not a personal thing. Its a general thing for everyone here.

or just ignore them.

Thats exactly what Im trying to help us do, collectively, cause everyone knows that gushers always get sucked into their posts, yet continue to post endlessly to them.

PS: Its good to see some decent conversation outta you Torgo, even if it is briefly. Who knows? Prove us wrong will ya?

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't knock B_S. If you have an issue with him, send him a PM. Don't try to hijack a thread where people want to come and talk about what they liked about TPM.

I like it that I can come here and share with others what I liked about the film, and read what they liked about it.

Your posts were really low-class.

And if you don't agree with his opinions: Post your own. That's what it's about ;)

8. ForceStrong

Aug 6, 2001
    "Obi-Wan- 'Don't worry, this hasn't been our day for warm welcomes.'"

I love that line too, Torgo :D
    Obi got jipped as far as screentime goes, but he had some of the best lines.

9. outsider_insider

outsider_insider Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm one of the converted. :)

I didn't like TPM at first. It has really grown on me, though. I think it was a combination of two things:

The DVD release was one. Learning about what happens in Episode II was another factor that made me enjoy the first installment.

Now it's one of my favorite Star Wars films. It's probably in second place. I still like ESB the most.

10. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Binary_Sunset happens to be one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people who posts on these boards, and although I don't agree with everything he says, I find his opinions very interesting and insightful, so if you want to bash him, do it private, Hatter. Also Rabid_Balding_Ewok, in my opinion, is one of the most funniest users on these boards, and it's a shame people take him so seriously. What fans are going to have to accept is that like it or lump it, The Phantom Menace has split Star Wars fans completely down the middle, and rather than ignoring each other's opinions, if we listened instead, we might see things in a different light, and re-evaluate our own opinion of The Phantom Menace. If there are any more personal attacks by any of the posters on these boards, they will be banned straight away, and I'll lock this thread, which is something I really don't want to do.

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    One of my favourite parts of TPM is the very start, when Obiwan and QuiGon are cutting down the droids, and then QuiGon starts to cut through the door to the bridge. Then the Force theme plays as he cuts through the blast door. Awesome! I remember as soon as I saw that I knew I was going to love the film.

12. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I just wanted to throw this in on the "Evil Bashers" topic;

If it wasn't for "bashers" like Binary_sunset, TrueJedi, hawk, Quixotic Sith, stone jedi and many, many others obviously put a lot of thought into their posts as they try to express WHY they didn't like TPM, then I wouldn't have asked myself as many questions about the film, and wouldn't like it as much. And there's no WAY I'd be coming to this forum anywhere near as often. (Whether THAT's a good thing I'm not too sure... 8-})

While there are undoubtedly bashers who are closed-minded, the same could be said for gushers. If you're not prepared to listen to people with different views and opinions in a discussion forum, then why bother coming? And blind love of a film really won't help you to enjoy it as much as you could.

13. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    The Phantom Menace has split Star Wars fans completely down the middle, and rather than ignoring each other's opinions, if we listened instead, we might see things in a different light

Thats true in theory, but history has shown that flaming always erupts from ones that constantly make it a point to slam TPM as hard as they can. Posting a civilized conversation is virtually impossible when this happens (and believe me I have my share of those experiences). These forums would be a lot more bearable if we just held back at responding to someone with insults or explaining things over for the billionth time. Its like a lesser Palestine and Israel for christ sake! Its just back and forth and nothing gets accomplished, so I believe that we should just go our separate ways since we get on each others nerves so. Anyone is welcome to join me in this step toward a better board.

14. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Another part I love is Palpatines trickery :)

(Trying to stay on topic for everyone) ;)

15. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    While those are good ideas Prune, and this is the reason I refered to how long you've been here, they have been tried before. I've seen this happen at least twenty times, someone comes in and tries to solve in one day what has been going on for three years. I was one of those people. You're too new to remember the TPMDF, but it was my grand attempt to wipe out the bashers. It didn't work. It grew to encompass well over half of this forum's population and it still didn't work. Why? Because what we have here is a difference of opinion.

I've seen treaty threads, solution threads, get together threads. They simply din't work. And I'm telling you now, you're plan won't work either. Do you know why? Because these bashers aren't evil. We have good discussions with them. I know a lot of them and they are very nice people. You don't know about scourge, but he was most definately an "evil" basher.

Now this is it. We don't discuss the people of this forum anymore. We discuss the movie. Get to it. I have some family problems I need to take care of, I may not be around for a little while. Just don't get my baby closed. Please. :)

16. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    Reguardless, many flame wars have occured because Gushers take offense at what Bashers say and vice versa. I for one will not be replying to those ones because for one reason or another, it gets nowhere.

You know what? This is a great place to maturely talk about TPM. I wish I could say that for most of the threads on the board. :( I mean, I know its got faults, but its just not warranted such an obsessive backlash.

BTW, Is that CGI used for Nute Gunrays eyelids? Lookin sharp!

17. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    SLAVE2, I love that beginning too! I can still remember sitting in a dark theatre and hearing the SW Theme blaring and lightsabers whirling! That was the instant I really knew SW was back. Sigh, good times. I can't wait for AOTC just thinking about how great TPM was.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    One of my favorite lines from TPM was : "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

Okay, it's two lines. But, he said it at the same time. :D

19. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Hmmmmmmmm...glad to see that the "Bashers" are the negative ones. Yeah, right.

My favorite line from TPM is probably when Palpatine tells Anakin that he will watch his career with "great interest". I thought that was a nice piece of foreshadowing.

Heck, I can even come up with a Jar-Jar line that I like! (yes, Jar-Jar) "Monsters out there, leaking in here, all sinking and no power? Whena yousa thinkin we's in trouble?"

I think that's genuinely funny.

:cool:

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Palpatine's comment to Anakin at the end of TPM is definitly one of my fav's. one of the things i really enjoyed about TPM was the design of the planets. the beauty of Naboo, the roughness of Tatooine, & the vastness of Coruscant. it was all great stuff.

21. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    That was my favorite JJB line too, AgentC. And the romantic in me liked "Are you an angel?" :) It was just cute.

22. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    It amazes me how many people here (the forum, not necessarily this thread) get bent out of shape about the basher/gusher thing. There will always be this "cess pool" around this movie, I'm afraid. Particularly here in a forum. Pretending it doesn't exist and making rules against it existing will not help.

Here's the deal, folks. This is a forums board. Speaking from experience in supporting and administering such things, a forum board is a living, breathing, online community of people. This one is about nearly anything Star Wars, and this particular forum is about a movie that has already come out. Naturally, there's going to be discussion about the varying ways people have taken the movie. We've also arranged to have basher/gusher labels (which is mostly fine by me) to easily define how we take it.

TPM's fanbase is neatly split down the middle. NEWS FLASH: There's gonna be some conflict in the discussion of the movie! Yes, that's right, veteran forum members will talk, sometimes argue about it, sometimes with each other. New people to the forums/threads who are not aware of the history in here will post things that some of you vets will rail against, chastising the newcomers for saying something that's already covered. Well, guess what? A forum that is incapable of dealing with the new blood is DEAD.

The only way to have a healthy forum is to ban the bad blood that come in and mess things up. Immature posting begets consequences. This protects the forum's appeal as well as the members/topics already present. I'd probably favor a 1-warning ban policy, with extreme offenses meriting immediate and permanent banning. Not trying to tell anyone how to do their job (honest!) but that's how I'd see it being fair while also protecting the integrity of the boards.

Just some things with which I take issue:

flaming always erupts from ones that constantly make it a point to slam TPM as hard as they can

(sarcasm) Uh-huh. Those damn bashers! Always flaming people! (/sarcasm) Amazing how some peeps can become the very evil they claim to fight. Flamers fit in their OWN category, not gusher/basher.

Because these bashers aren't evil. We have good discussions with them. I know a lot of them and they are very nice people

Thanks DS5. I know you're not talking about me specifically, but I consider myself a conscientious member of the forum anyhow!

And as my grand finale, I wish to get back on topic by itemize some things that I liked about TPM:

- Palpatine's maneuvering. DELICIOUS! I loved how he worked the strings of the Trade Federation to create a situation that he could then pick up and control from his "legitimate" power spot in the Senate.
    - Contrary to what some of my (basher) brethren think, I actually like the new designs presented in the movie. I think what Lucas is trying to get across is that the Old Republic was something different. That the galaxy in the time of the Empire was truly the "dark times." The Republic looks... cleaner than the Empire.
    - Loved the pod race sequence, just for the pure fun of it. The thrill of the bass shaking my sternum in that theater was incredible.
    - "There's always a bigger fish" LOL!
    - The desert fight between Maul and Qui-Gon kicked!

23. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I agree that the Senate election should have been shown. Even now, I don't know how they elect chancellors in the Republic.

But then again, if it was shown, it would alter the pacing of the movie and focus too much on Palpatine and the operation of the Senate (which would ruin the "phantom" part of the menace - really, the lack of focus on Palpatine does underscore just how elusive the Sith are)

24. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Yeah, it might have been nice to see a small part of the voting, maybe the nominations. Then we could see Palpy feign suprise and a sly smile as he sees his plan coming together. Then a cut to the scene with the Queen when they tell her of the nomination. That way you keep the surprise at the end that he infact wins.

But it probably would mess with the pacing a bit. Hopefully we'll see more of the Senate in AOTC.

25. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    From what I already know about AOTC, it already makes TPM that much more of a better movie! (not that I thought it wasn't to begin with, but now it's even better! Like new Frosted Lucky Charms! :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.