main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Trade War

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nobody in China cares through.

Darth Punk likes this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What, you mean all those nationalistic Chinese with their rants about "Western encirclement" and "containment" are suddenly going to hang up the towel now that Trump is giving them an actual justification for their paranoia?

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i know the trade war will work out, because so far the Drill Baby Drill 90 cent jump in a gallon of gas is working. [face_thinking]

yankee8255 likes this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Note that we aren't on full-on war at all. The announcement for tariffs imposed on X billions of goods still aren't in full effect.
    There is however, US-side, a potentially tricky situation - Trump and his staff made sure no consumer goods proper would be hit by the tariffs imposed on China so far (which is why they're slightly less than a third short of the $50Bn mark), but Congress are trying to fill the void with electronics-maker ZTE, and that one would make it to the average US consumer.

Not that it's not a lot trickier on the Chinese end of things. With the announcement of an escalation to a $200Bn mark for goods getting tariffs, they literally can't "follow" - last year's US exports to China were only worth $136Bn. It both makes it a lot harder to avoid actual economic impact while matching the volume for the $50Bn mark and impossible to match the follow-up escalation.

That one, however, is also a possibility to move to a different field if the Chinese are sufficiently aggravated and consider the current tariffs cost them too much: they are the single largest creditor to the US. That's the dangerous one.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    how many of these have you ever actually encountered?

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    They won't go there. Dumping Treasuries as a way to punish the US would hurt them more in the long run by pushing down the value of their remaining holdings. The dollar, as the world's primary reserve currency, can take the hit--the yuan can't (although Beijing would certainly try).

The one thing that does scare me though is a currency war. If China REALLY wanted to screw the US, they could dump Treasuries, stop funding our debt, and then announce a linkage of the yuan to gold. That would set off an international financial crisis of epic proportions, one which their state-controlled economy would probably weather a lot better than that of the US.

Hopefully it won't go there, but Trump is on a mission to take China down, regardless of cost. No way he succeeds. No way.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    This is, indeed, the nuclear option. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad...

Juliet316, Vaderize03 and Rylo Ken like this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

EU to launch counter tariffs against US on Friday. If you're in the EU and in the market for blue jeans or bourbon you might want to go shopping soon..

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    We have Chinese production for the former, and who needs bourbon when you have whiskey? ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  10. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    We're looking to buy a new flatscreen TV for my 11 and 9-year old sons to play video games on, and I told my wife to do it right quick before the Chinese tariffs kick in.

They're buying today I believe.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Good for them. However, do the tariffs apply to items already in the EU or is it just new imports?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Vaderize03 likes this.
  12. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I don't think the administration knows. They're making it up as they go along, sometimes changing position two or three times a day.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Yeah, Bourbon's crap. I think I'll be fine with a low quality Scottish malt and still surpass the swill bourbon is, Hell I may even get a bottle of Bells if I really want to slum it

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you're in the EU why would you be int he market for bourbon, you're not 15?

FatBurt likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lordban, Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Time to upgrade to CVO 117!

Just kidding, I'll ride my Softail until I literally can't. And the production is for the European market models so I suspect a lot of Iron 883's and Monoshock Dynas?

J-Rod likes this.
  17. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    And it's more reason to buy American. If you are in the market for a BMW, get a Harley instead.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    But Harleys are crap

19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    There are non-Americans here, J-Rod :p

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When the US makes a car that I like as much as I’ve liked the Toyotas and Hondas that I’ve driven, I’m happy to buy American.

I’m very much a buy-local person when it comes to food and beer (North Carolina or Charlotte-based please) and clothes and shoes (made in the US). But I want my cars and wine to come from countries that make them better.

North Carolina wine is mind-bogglingly awful.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    As my European biker friends say, Harleys are fantastic if you don't have to go up any mountain roads, such as the ones you will find everywhere in Europe. If you need performance, buy literally anything else. Like a bicycle.

yankee8255 likes this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If you’re in the market for a harley or BMW, get a yamaha.

Point Given , Lordban and FatBurt like this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I love that he doesn't comprehend the consequences of moving production facilities to Europe.
    European car manufacturers may also be closing plants here - not vehicles that were being sold to the US , but we're taking advantage of lower production costs here and shipping cars elsewhere.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The new S series, the CVO's, and the Milwaukee Eight 107's are some of the best engineered bikes on the planet. I could go on for days about the versatility of the old 80 ci Ironheads or all of the the 1000cc Sporties out there. If you're a custom bike builder that's where you start. Harley's have their quirks (especially Panheads) but they are not crap my man.

Like a YZF? If you're only interested in speed a Suzuki Hyabusa would blow it away, and your budget is within spitting distance. Give me a Ducati over those things any day though....for style points. I'm vain like that.

J-Rod, Lordban and Darth Punk like this.
  25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Not ridden a motorbike since my early 20s. But my overwhelming memory of Harleys are the stance makes you look like you're riding a tricycle.

I stopped doing that when I was a nipper.

If they do something now that isn't a "hog" then fair enough but yes I'd have an average Ducati over a Harley anyway based on my memory of them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk