main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transporting costumes?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by elismor, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elismor

elismor Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2002
    So, I'm about 90% done with my jedi costume (go, me) and my thoughts are turning to how to get the darn thing to Atlanta for Dragon*Con. Most of it I can just fold and pack into a suitcase, but the robe...well...I could fold that too, I suppose.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get it there with minimal extra luggage and minimal wrinkling? Garment bags? Bring an iron?

In addition, my husband will be transporting a TIE pilot costume...anyone had any problems with getting helmets/blasters through security?

Thanks,

Lisa

2. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I flew to SWCII last year with my armor and a troopper blaster in a sealed storage bin and a two-piece MG-34 blaster in my suitcase. I told the check-in guy that I had two toy laser guns that looked real in my luggage, and he said as long as they were being checked it was no problem.

Scott

3. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    In regards to wrinkling:
    All but the cheapest of the cheap motels have irons and ironing boards. I always iron and hang up my costumes when I get to the con.

Regarding blasters and helmets and security:

Air line security is based on logic on reasoning, unlike the "security" at most conventions, which is someone hitting the panic button and banning everything up to and including lightsabres and Ghostbuster proton packs. You shouldn't have much trouble.

I fly roughly 20,000 miles a year. I have travelled with my lightsabre in my checked baggage on three trips (both ways) and with a circuit board in both my checked baggage and my carry-on. I have never had a problem. Remember that your checked baggage will be scanned and screened just like your carry-on now. They have been doing this since the start of 2003.

Believe or not but you can even fly with REAL guns (even after 9/11) if you follow the proper procedures. A number of folks who travel with realistic prop weapons often do this. From what I have heard and read the "roper procedures" involves buying your own lockable gun case and a case for the ammo (since prop weapons don't have any ammo you won't need to worry about this). The airline checks it and inspects it and loads it in the cargo hold or something like that.

You should call your airline and ask them. All you will get from any forum is what people think and what people have heard or experienced with airline XYZ. If you want the real answer you need to get it from the source.

I have never heard of there being a problem with helmets.

Here are some other tips when travelling by air:

1) It is not necessary to strip when you enter the security checkpoint. I walk through with my watch on, my alergy necklace, change in my pockets, and my keys as well and I have never set off the alarm. When I happen to be selected for a personal search I have to remove those items, though. I routinly see newbies removing just about everything they have on including earings, pens and pencils, paper clips, chewing gum, and even their shoes! You need your ID and boarding pass for entering the security check-point, but only your boaridng pass for actually getting on the plane.

2) Airline security has no sense of humor. Make a joke about guns or bombs and you will not be spending your D*C weekend with the authorities.

3) If you are flying coach and are tall, have your seat assignment changed to an exit row so that you will get some leg room.

4) If you are connecting through MSP (Mineapolis/St. Paul airport) something will probably go wrong and your flight will be delayed. If you are going to be there during the early morning before 10AM) bring a sweater or coat as they like to set the AC to "Overkill" so it will be as cold as a meatlocker.

5) Put something distinctive on your luggage. Your suitcase will look just like everyone else's and you don't want to stop and look at every bag on the carosel. I put a Rebel Alliance sticker on mine.

4. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I know a few people ship their costumes to nearby friends, but since I don't know anyone in Atlanta, we're thinking about shipping a box to the hotel (my dad does this for conferences).

Per the Hyatt, they charge a fee to receive and hold packages, something like $5 for 0 to 5 lbs, $10 for 5 - 10 lbs, goes up from there. We're thinking of shipping light but bulky things like crinolines, can can skirts, top hats, etc. I'm not thrilled about the possibilty of them not showing up, but then again there's always the same possible problem with checked luggage.

~H~

5. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Ya ive got a question... since im flying to DC from New York.. How do i get guns to DC... fake ones of course...

6. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    1) Call the airline and ask
    or
    2) Ship them to your hotel or to a nearby friend

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    For costumes that can tolerate a bit of squeezing, u may want to use one of those Space Bags; either the kind that requires a vacuum cleaner to empty all the air, or the kind that u roll to get rid of all the air. I understand the clothing may not get wrinkled so much compared to plain old folding and squeezing in your luggage. ;)

8. -LadyVader-

-LadyVader- Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2002
    I adopted the way the 501st does it. For every costume I make, I assign a plastic tub. It helps figure out which is which and keeps the pieces together. You can buy them the size of a matchbox to the size of a coffin and pretty cheap. This does make airline travel hard, if you have several costumes. But it's worth it to me. You'll probably know it if you see me, I'll be dragging a dozen of plastic tubs! *laugh* Now, if your worried about wrinkles then I would just use a garment bag. If your staying at one of the main D*C hotels, then your room should definitly have an iron. If not, request one. Good Luck!

9. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    For costume organization, I've developed a system. I sew a small bag or get a hatbox to put all my accessories in, depending on how many there are and how large they are. I also put in small cards of thread matching every piece of clothing and extra buttons if needed. Then, to each bag or box, I attach a 3X5 card with a list of everything required for the costume. I also have a small costume fix bag with needles, black and white thread, and safety pins, and a larger fix bag with clothing tape, duct tape, zipper wax, and stuff like that. When I get ready to pack for a day or a week, I just pull the cards from the boxes or bags and pack accordingly. It saves time and forgotten items.

On the subject of airlines, plan accordingly as well. Wear something that will allow you to get through checkout easily. I've been one of those people that has to take off their shoes and everything, there is an alarming amount of metal in a military boot alone, let alone all the other stuff that goes with a military uniform. After a few trips you learn exactly what you have to take off. A lot of women's heels also have metal supports in them that you don't think of because you don't see them. Dress for your destination. I can't tell you how stupid I felt when I arrived in south Texas in December with my Minnesota winter coat because it was so warm outside. I should have worn light pants and a t-shirt with my coat over, would have been just as warm on the way to the airport and more comfortable on the plane and when I arrived.

10. elismor

elismor Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2002
    Wow, thanks, everyone for al the advice and anecdotal evidence. I've flown billions of times, so I'm not worried about getting ME through security...just my hubby's blaster, as he's loathe to check it. And, like JediToren suggests, I'm not too keen on spending my weekend in a cell. :)

I'll push for him to check it or mail it to our friend in Atlanta before hand.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to deal with the hassle of wearing my boots on the plane (metal shanks) or the risk of checking them. They're my actual riding boots, so I'm a little worried about trusting them to the baggage handlers. So, we'll know LadyVader in the airport by her cart of Rubbermaid containers and I'll be the one in shorts and knee-high riding boots. :)

Lisa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.