main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TRIALS.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

True, true, but in those cases, I'm sure the length of the ban wasn't changed (despite a discussion about that between the user & the mod). That's the futile attempt during the PMing whilst banned................getting it shortened.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    They're not just my rules, Slowburn. They've been in place for the most part since before I registered.

3. Yodasbadgirl1

Yodasbadgirl1 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2009
    You know full well we are not allowed to discuss specific users or cases because that would be poisoning the boards.
    And that's against the rules.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Then I don't understand what you're saying. What point are you trying to make?

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    A. Do people still get banned any more?
    B. If allowed to serve on a jury, I will vote guilty at all times, especially if I don't like the person in question. This is why trials won't work.
    C. If allowed to vote for mods, I will always vote for my friends. This is why member voting won't work. Some argued that this was how Kate got promoted back in the day (Hi Kate!)
    D. Without someone calling the mods "draconian" these new-fangled Comms threads just aren't the same.
    E. Seriously, do people still get banned? There's like 12 new posts a day.

Amazing.

6. Yodasbadgirl1

Mar 30, 2009
    If we start stating specific incidents i.e Start talking negatively about the mods. We will be given a ban for poisoning the boards.

Don't give me the I have no idea what your talking about. Your apart of the group that makes the rules. So you know exactly what I am talking about!

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    OK, now we're totally off track. You posted this:
    And then I said this:
    And now you're agreeing with me that of course we shouldn't state specific incidents. So please explain your logic to me. How to we make appeals public without providing all of the evidence related to a user's ban? Are you saying we should just start threads that say "User X was banned. User X doesn't think they should be banned. Should we unban, Yea or Nay?" How does that help anything?

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Slowburn what is the real point in all of this? What are you trying to get out of this? Because this system for better or worse has worked for the last 12 years I have been a member here. Are you just questioning the system for the sake of questioning it?

9. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm questioning the system for the sake of improvement.

10. Yodasbadgirl1

Mar 30, 2009
    I am not going to talk in circles. I am ****** over it. Your boards. Your rules. Your empire. I know the truth.
    **** all to hell:_|

11. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    I understand your frustration, trust me, but just letting this go on is not an option. Eventually they'll have to listen to those of us outside of their little circle of friends.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Ok that I didn't think of. Good point. I'm going to bar myself from entering Comms before noon from now on else I'll unleash another thread like this D:

Slowburn and Yoda's bad woman - both of you keep saying that you want things to change, that you have a problem with the system and MS and the rules, but neither of you are being at all specific. You need to say exactly your point, not just your general opinion. You say you just want to improve things, but if that's the case then plain complaining isn't going to do that. Just say exactly what you mean.

Furthermore, might I add that a more positive attitude would better your chance of improving things as well.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    They are listening to you. But you just don't like the answer.

14. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    No, they are not listening, they are giving automatic responses. I have given multiple suggestions throughout this thread and now I am looking at the bigger picture, yet the same answer is being given. We are not looking for permission or answers, we are looking for results for the better of the board. And no, I certainly will not act less pissed off in order to patronize. We are saying what we feel in our own colors.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    To me it seems like you're just saying the same thing over and over. What EXACTLY is the problem with the system. Can you cite specific things?

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    The system that is currently in place has been tried, tested, refined, and altered for many years, through the efforts and innovation of many individuals, and as a result of experiences that are both numerous in quantity and various in nature. Is it perfect? No, but we're a massive message board that acquires new members every day, we're an avenue of communication with many persons directly involved with creating aspects of the Star Wars universe, and we have an extremely solid community, some of whom have known each other for nearly a decade.

Bans are issued incrementally, and a user is given more than enough time to clean up their act before something serious occurs. Mods are expected, required, and encouraged to communicate with a banned user as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. If you've got a problem with the ban, just explain your position, and we'll explain ours. You might learn something. We don't publicize unban requests because it's an issue of privacy, efficiency, and respect.

Slowburn and YBG, you guys keep saying that you "want a say" in something. You keep saying that there is "unjustice." You keep saying that "nobody is listening." Well, will all respect, you're not offering any constructive suggestions. At all. MS has a history of listening. Just look through the older threads in this very forum. You just need to say something first. You haven't done that. Personally, I'm very interested in what you have to say, because it's obviously very important to you. :p So be specific, please.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think Pat Benatar said it best, when she said

We are young
    heartache to heartache we stand
    No promises no demands
    Love is a battlefield

18. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    I am saying the same things over and over because it is being ignored just as often. The problem with the board is the administration itself; it is completely disconnected from the rest of us.

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    What constitutes "disconnected?" Perhaps if you explained yourself with a bit more clarity, we could plug in our connectors.

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree, you need to bring specifics to the table. Otherwise you are just going to go in circles.

Talking as someone that has been a Administrator and as someone who has been banned here I definitely would not want my dirty laundry out in the open. If I didn't agree with the ban I would put in a unban request and find out what the deal was. If I thought a moderator was in the wrong and was abusing his/her power I would bring it up to a Administrator. If it was an Administrator then I would talk to one of the other 3. At work we use the one up/one down rule and I think it works here in this situation as well.

21. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Ok so - are slowburn and yodachick arguing for public ban info/whatnot? Sorry, I'm trying to make sense of this.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    And yet multiple users, both mods and otherwise, have asked you to clarify your point and be specific. Instead, as you said, you've just said the same things over and over. That's not clarifying. That's not being specific. We're quite glad to listen. Does that mean every suggestion will be adopted? No. But MS has also shown over the years that it is quite glad to listen to user suggestions and implement those that look to be beneficial to the boards. That said, the (very few) specifics I've seen in this thread, simply put, would not be beneficial, and I'm clearly not the only one who thinks so.

23. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    The "Circle of Friends" is disconnected because none of their decisions, based on what I've seen, have shown the slightest interest in how we feel. If the administration does not understand it's people, then the administration is disconnected. This applies to everything from bans to board decisions. There is no specific thing I want changed here, rather the entire public relations mindset. I think people would be involved with these things if they were given the chance to. Don't worry, your power is still there, your moderation is unphased, only the regular members would feel more included because, in fact, they would be. As I have previously said multiple times, if the board took on certain tiers of democracy then this would be solved. THAT is what I am suggesting. If you do not understand, you choose not to.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    When you say "how we feel", who are you referring to? You? Because you certainly don't represent the entire user base. And based on what decisions that you've seen?

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    So it sounds like you're saying we shouldn't ban people who break the rules because it would hurt their feelings? Sorry, that isn't going to work.

And if that's not what you're saying, then please clarify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.