main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tropes in fiction you don't care too much for

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Apr 17, 2016.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Personally, I'm not too fond of the whole "immortal person was these different historical figures throughout history" thing. I'm not opposed to immortals per se, just the whole "this one guy was Julius Caesar, Leonardo Da Vinci, Napoleon, etc." trope. I know creators go to it because back in ancient times, there was no photography, records were sparse, and it could be conceivable an immortal could go from one area to another, reinventing themselves so they didn't grow bored and didn't raise any suspicions, but we're talking about major historical figures here, people whose entire lives have been practically recorded, and were the subjects of statues and paintings before the advent of photography. . It would be really hard to do, is what I'm saying.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Vampires, zombies, superheroes.

Ghost and BultarSwan like this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Whoever says ninjas is getting banned.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Covert mercenaries in feudal Japan.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This thread is about a trope I'm not sure I've ever seen before.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    To play the danthe game:

I am sick of stories in which a recently released convict is asked to help an incognito Norse god (usually Wotan) on a journey through how different faith traditions intersect in the modern United States.

I also hate cyberpunk stories about how language can carry information in the way a computer virus does, and how ancient Babylon is linked to a virus called "snow crash" which can actually kill people. So sick of it.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The wilting flower dying from emotional distress.

TX-20, Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "We only use 10% of our brains. Imagine what we could do with the other 90%."

Dinos4Ever, True Sith, TX-20 and 6 others like this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm sick of movies where nicolas cage has hair that can change shape and his hair takes the shape of a giant pair of pliers and latches onto a ceiling beam, thus concealing him from his enemies on the ground below. enough with this tired trope hollywood.

Ewok Poet, True Sith, TX-20 and 12 others like this.
  11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The stalking = devotion trope. Dude, if she tells you "no" more than once, she probably actually means "no."

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Reality ensues" under a specific set of criteria wherein I deem that it has been used incorrectly. Authors beware, you might arbitrarily earn the disfavor of some random ***hole on the Internet.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Nah I've got other things to be annoyed at.

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Ender Sai: You're not aware of the DC Comics villain Vandal Savage, aren't you? Or a character from the original Star Trek TV series named Flint?

Believe me, it is a real trope.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So are the ones I posted.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    It was all a dream...
    (I remember throwing Son of Rosemary the sequel to Rosemary's Baby across the room when I read that.)

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I hate the trope of making stories "real" or "dark" or "gritty" by having all the characters do despicable things to each other. If you think that's entertainment, just read the news.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The ones where if you put a lot of hard work into something, you become the best at it

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Any sort of happiness whatsoever. that always rings slightly false considering life is a desolate, unending misery that all you want is just the sweet, sweet embrace of the grave to end it all.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've been getting annoyed lately at the "crazy guy has theory with zero evidence that due to plot reasons turns out to be correct and egg is on everyone else's face for daring to not believe wackjob except for our esteemed protagonist who had the courage to believe in the nonsense." Mainly due to the fact that 1) it's unrealistic and 2) people in real life are starting to think that way.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I really don't think that people started doing this because of something they saw on television.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Anime Magic-Girls.

Sarge likes this.
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Guy Who Knows The Truth. and everyone else is so stupid. The greedy politicians, the blinkered scientists, the doctors who don't care. They are all WRONG, and I am right.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Action movies where the Hero is literally or for the purpose of the story, indestructible.
    Superheroes in armoured suits that smash against wall and their brains don't turn to mush.
    Swordmasters who can deflect lasers. :)
    The ex-Special Ops guy who can dodge bullets and twist peoples heads 180 degrees with his bare hands.

Violent Violet Menace and Sarge like this.