main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Ukraine Weak?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Feb 28, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh I hope not. We don't need anymore conspiracy theories for ASR to spout.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is this being reported as secret news? CIA Director John Brennan publicly announced his flight to Kiev to consult with the new government some weeks ago. His arrival was televised, as I recall.

More broadly, I don't understand the point of the accusation. I'd be surprised if the US did not have some representation there, and if some others weren't involved. Protest movements often consult widely with a range of foreign interests. That doesn't make them illegitimate. The question is whether the movement represents an authentic sentiment of the citizenry or is a sort of "astroturf" of paid protestors.

There has been very little question that the Maiden protestors weren't legitimately disgusted in Yanukovych for turning down the EU treaty. This was the clear provocation that started the protests and is the explanation protestors consistently offered for their actions. Afterwards, protestors continued in largely non-violent fashion for almost a year before coming to a head. By contrast, the protests in Eastern Ukraine and Crimea have featured admitted members of the Russian military and intelligence services taking a leading role in protests that turned violent within the space of two weeks, and whose only real complaint is a proposal that was immediately vetoed. There's not really equivalency here.

4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Men don't use hair gel anymore?

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    not really. pomade, yes, gel not so much. metrosexual was like the early 2000s. we're in an era of beards and scruff now, tho ive read some disturbing reports that that era may be about to peak and then decline :(

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hipsters ruined it for everyone.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Maybe gel is not as prevalent anymore, but I see most dudes definitely be using some products in their hair, even if not gel. I've never used anything regularly though. My dad started balding early, and I don't wanna push my luck. :p

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I like how one Eurovision contestant gets Austria labelled "Eurovision Drag Queens".

Speaking of which, where the heck is Ms Eurovision, Obi Anne?

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm around and trying to find inspiration for this year, I haven't even heard a single entry this year.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My roommate did last year along with hairspray. He was really really weird.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Everyone's still using it here in Norway. Strange.

I remember I got talked into using hair wax once in junior high. That stuff's the worst. Anyone willing to put up with that **** in their hair is too vain for his own good.

13. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    It happened a couple of days ago, but it looks like 2 Ukrainian Mi-24Hind helicopters were shot down by portable anti-aircraft missiles, and a transport helicopter was damaged. 2 crew members were killed and one captured. Based on reports, it looks like the helicopters were shot down by either SA-16 Gimlet or SA-18 Grouse portable missiles. Both systems are in use by the Ukrainian and Russian forces, but have also been heavily exported by Russia to as far away as Cuba and Mexico.

The "Hind" is the huge gunship that was made famous in Red Dawn and the Rambo movies:

[​IMG]

14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Not to mention Metal Gear Solid.

- Snake! If you have a stereo television, you can use the speakers to determine where the helicopter is!
    - Got it, Colonel!

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In addition to what Wocky said about the differences between a political appointee and a careerist, the KGB was rather like the CIA, NSA, and FBI in one and that's where the reputation comes from. It's the whole internal security thing, which is what separated it from other spy agencies the world over because everybody had those. It's a different institutional attitude.

That's not to say there isn't media fear-mongering, there is, but the comparisons between Bush 41 and Putin are pretty vast.

Unless you're one of the conspiracy their weirdos.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    http://vestnikkavkaza.net/news/politics/54826.html

The Fatherland Party led parliament has banned the Communist party from parliament. Democracy in action. The Fatherland party is trying to consolidate power in Ukraine through undemocratic means. Soon people will have only two options in the elections: Fatherland or Svoboda. Party of Regions better watch out.

This is unsurprising, since last month Svoboda MPs physically attacked a Communist speaker while he was speaking.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interestingly, I was reading an editorial posted on the Atlantic today positing that we in the West confuse liberalism with democracy. Namely that newly formed democracies outside of our Enlightenment tradition didn't have the slow transition to democracy that embraces pluralism, and this something can be democratic in the majoritarian sense and yet still deeply illiberal, such as the banning of minority or opposition parties.

Ultimately I think the article's point is just that there's a reason that we have counter-majoritarian institutions or rights, to protect the constitutional structure and the edifice of liberal democracy. It's a little bit of a "duh" point for most of us, but it's funny how it falls under the wayside in cases like Ukraine.

Ultimately I think it's about having a healthy system. Fatherland is trying to create a system where they will always be in charge. But they're just replicating what Yakunovich did in the first place: coming to power extra-legally and then trying to legislate opponents out of existence. They never think about what happens when they lose and the other guys do it to them.

Silly people.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    To be fair, Ukrainian resentment of communists in particular is understandable, just as it would be understandable to shut out Tsarists... if any still existed (I'm sure Jello will dig them up if they do). Even though the USSR is gone, the association with Russian domination and oppression is there.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    or it could just be that anytime ultranationalists get power anywhere the first thing they do is start killing communists?

Lord Vivec likes this.
  20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Sure, that's most likely a big part of it. People just seem to forget how much ethnicities such as Ukrainians suffered under St. Petersburg/Moscow's boot heel. They haven't forgotten.

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    fair enough

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Then they can go and ban the Russian communist party. This is nothing more than Fatherland trying to consolodate power (which i warned about pages earlier in the thread).

23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Not at all. Your and Wocky's points are well-made, and I don't believe Bush and Putin are equivalent.

However, I still think it's fair to criticize popular media depictions of American leaders vis a vis foreign leaders. American politician with a history of military/intelligence service? Lionized for glorious patriotic duty. Foreign politician [from a country we don't like at the moment] with a history of military/intelligence service? Suspicious fellow with a shady past. Their analysis isn't necessarily wrong, but it has the faint whiff of propaganda.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What former US President has been lionized for his work in the intelligence services? Bush is praised for his service in World War 2.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    None, as far as I know? I was lumping military and intelligence together for the sake of simplicity, as they are related, and I wanted to capture foreign leaders with a background in either category, since other militaries and intelligence services aren't exactly equivalent to those of the US.