main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Understanding Christianity

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 24, 2012.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if it doesn't matter whether you're alive or dead then I don't understand the 'gambling you die before Armageddon' comment

2. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    It amazes me how a thread titled understanding Christianity can be trolled by people who don't try to understand it at all but rather tell people how wrong their thinking is an how ridiculous it is.
    I get it my beliefs are not popular. Even within the realms of Christianity my particular beliefs are not popular or mainstream.
    But nither were Jesus' so I am in good company!

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not sure what darthOB1 meant by that either (other than maybe the general, "it's better to believe 'the truth' sooner than later, just for truth's sake").

I don't think epic is trolling you at all... just genuinely perplexed by your viewpoint. Since it's not my view, or the traditional view, I admit I'm a little confused too. Just be patient with people. And this is the JCC, you can expect some people to poke fun at everything and everyone.

4. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Armageddon is a war waged by Jesus and his angels on Satan and his demonic influences.
    All I am saying is you better be on the right side when it happens because there are only two sides. It may be too late to make your decision then.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But you've been saying that, after the battle, everyone will live under Jesus, and then we won't be tested again for a 1000 years, and only then at the end of the 1000 years will it become too late... what are we misunderstanding?

6. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Then remarks like zombies are done from what? Childness? A judgement of people based on beliefs? No I'm pretty sure it was a jab at anyone who believe this is camparable to a zombie prejudice is not seeking understanding

7. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
  8. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    No I'm not saying that at all. At the end of 1000 years Satan is let loose to tempet and unfortunatly he will be successful in part. Those who turn away then are destroyed along with Satan. And those remaining are considered God children and sealed with everlasting life.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Being funny? You've been around here 17 years, since you registered in 2000. Surely you've been in this part of the forums before? "Zombie Jesus" is a meme.

Yes, I understand that. But THAT is the time it will be too late to change, not before, according to what you yourself have been saying...

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Been said a lot.

Word of advise to you and Ghost, stop talking like you're sitting at your computers in Priest robes, a Giant gold cross in the background, and your bible open at your side. IT's a god damn Star Wars Forum. "Bearing Fruit." "No more pain in heaven. Bliss. Bliss.Bliss. Bliss."

I get it, it'll be a nice place.

If a Supernatural power exist I prefer the golden halls of Odin myself.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ?

It's a thread on understanding Christianity. People had questions and disagreements, so I gave my input, and since darthOB1 is more of a Biblical literalist than I am, I referenced things they'd understand. This is the Senate. We're allowed to talk about more than Star Wars. We're allowed to go in-depth. That's what the Senate subforum exists for.

If you don't like in-depth threads on religion, you don't have to read it.

If that's the weird mental image you have of me because I can have a serious discussion on religion, then that's your problem, not mine.

solojones and Sarge like this.
  12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

My point was that you two need to calm down, because once you start talking a certain way you just turn people off. You're not convincing anybody of anything by using the religious rhetoric.

and I was only just stopping by. These threads are not good for my heart.

13. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Right now we have to worry about surviving Armageddon. Completely different from test after 1000years.
    Armageddon is not about our salvation. It is the vindication of him name and his sovereignty. He is not going to save those that are not on his side or who claim to know Jesus,no only those doing his will will survive.

14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    This thread.... [face_laugh]

Revyl Ren likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I am perfectly calm? :confused: I'm just confused and trying to better understand darthOB1's views.

I haven't even mentioned my own views in the current conversation on Armageddon/etc.

What certain way am I talking? If I'm talking to a Biblical literalist, I'm going to try to cite examples from the Bible to see if I'm understanding them right. If I was talking to an atheist, I'd talk differently.

Religious rhetoric on what? I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything on this topic, I'm just confused by darthOB1 because every time I think I understand, darthOB1 says I'm still misunderstanding.

Yes, so if Armageddon is not about our salvation... even if we choose wrongly in that hypothetical battle, we will still have a chance to repent and believe later... (and I think Revelation says many of the believers will die during the tribulations, especially early on, if you take that book literally).

16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    tbf i am trolling a little. but nonetheless, i am kinda interested in delving into this strange hypothesis. as Ghost has pointed out, you're not making much sense.

basically you're saying:

-really soon Armageddon takes place, and there's a war between jesus and satan
    -if you're alive, whether you're christian or atheist or hindu, you stand around and see this
    -Armadeddon ends. jesus wins
    -pretty much all the dead people are resurrected
    -1000 years of peace takes place
    -all the previously dead people are like HOLY ****
    -after 1000 years one final battle takes place, and one final temptation
    -eternity for most likely 99% of all people, seeing faith is rendered utterly pointless, and hell for the really dimwitted 1%

hence it doesn't matter whether you're alive or dead when Armageddon takes place. what have i got wrong?

Ghost likes this.
  17. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Don't worry, nothing of this will ever happen.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

18. DemonKingBalor32

DemonKingBalor32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    i want to start off by saying i am a new christian that is getting baptized end of the month. now i dont know everything on the bible or the quaran ( reading it as well for myself)i admit but i am only speaking for me when i say i dont think christianity or any religion will be easy to understand. i feel ( again just me) followers of there god read what they read and compare what they want to compare to what they read.

you have organizations like westboro baptist church who claims there christian and yet excuse my french but basterdizes it by saying god hates gays and the military or how gays are responsible for 911. there a cult nothing more. same for the extremists who use islam as a excuse to push there isis and caliphate ideology. i from experience would always critisize religion just base don what i see in the media and the things i would see in the media are thous groups of extremists or wacked out cultists. luckly i go to a church that has changed my opinion and boy was i wrong for trusting the media for the crap they showed

19. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    To explain sufficiently i guess I need to turn to to what njesus said the end times would be. He likened them to Noah's day. Men marring women women given in marriage and they took no note of the warnings giving of pending flood. I'm sure there were good honest loving people but they did not head the warning. All they had to do was go in the arc. Our day will be similar according to Jesus. Men will take no note and do nothing and will ignore the warning of upcoming destruction and they will be swept away just like those on the flood.

20. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Assumption.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, to add my own opinion on this topic, so people know where I stand...

* I don't believe everything in the Bible is literal, or accurate... and that's especially true for the Book of Revelation. It's a 3-part metaphor
    -partly a metaphor for Christians in the time of Nero
    -but also made to be a broad-enough metaphor that it can apply to Christians in any time of hardship
    -also a metaphor for the battle within each person's heart and mind

* I believe, as I said before, that God loves everyone, wants the best for us all, wants us to be happy and loving people. God's love and forgiveness are unlimited, and God is extending the offer of eternal life to everyone. We accept it by loving.

* While technically possible to reject it, I believe everyone will choose to accept it, everyone will go to "heaven."

* We will be cleansed of our shame and temptation, that's the fire. The sorting of good and bad isn't the sorting of good people and bad people, it's the sorting of good and bad within each person, and we will choose to "burn away" and cleanse ourselves by choice out of love for God and each other.

* The afterlife begins upon the moment of death... we still exist in this universe as spirits, but in an added "filter"/"layer"/"dimension." For example, we can explore the Earth (in any time period), explore other planets, other galaxies, etc. We'd just be unseen and unaffected by everything we can observe now, but not by our fellow spirits... and a spiritual "light" of love incarnate would be radiating everywhere and illuminating everything and even be able to directly communicate, and this will be God. And everyone who ever lived would there too, from your family/friends to your pets to the dinosaurs to the first and oldest bacteria, etc. Everyone. And it's a blissful experience. Infinite time to learn and explore (and infinite things to explore and learn about!) and meet new people and talk to old family/friends and be united with loved ones, everyone has repented and forgiven everyone and is happy.

* If we are physically resurrected one day, it will be God's will but accomplished through science/technology of the future. We bring about God's will. It's not supernatural.

* I admit I could be wrong, there could be no afterlife like we think of it... heaven itself could just be a metaphor. But even if there is no afterlife, I still believe that the essence of the universe is good, the essence of life itself is good, the essence of each person is good. The universe is ultimately good, and if there is no afterlife as we think of it, that means death-as-it-is is ultimately good too and should still be accepted with joy... like climbing into bed as a child with your already-sleeping parents, to fall asleep too. (So, I know I could be wrong about my belief, and I'm ok with being wrong and would still accept the real outcome... though of course, I believe I'm right.)

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    it's your story, dude.

23. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    and I'm sticking to it

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It's not assumption, it's a breakdown of the logical results of your statements. If you don't accept that these are logical results, you need to show how they are not. Waving them away without explanation weakens your case.

assumption
    əˈsʌm(p)ʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

Sounds like your whole Armageddon thing fits the bill much better.

25. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    so explain to me why it matters whether i die before armageddon or not.