main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The prequels are Samuel L. Jackson's best performances.

2. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    1) The Bendu (from Rebels) is the worst SW character ever. Nothing screams Deus Ex Machina more than him.
    2) I can't stand Hondo Ohnaka. LucasFilm tries really hard making us liking him. He's just filler episode material.
    3) Bodhi Rook should have been removed from Rogue One. He was just a gimmicky boring character that was only a tool for other (better) characters.
    4) The Mustafar duel is so over-the-top, completely devoid of any dramatic tension.
    5) I don't want an Obi-Wan spin-off movie. The most relevant aspects of his life have already been told.
    6) I'm glad the Expanded Universe (now Legends) was terminated.
    7) I don't hate Jar Jar. Quite the contrary, I like him.
    8) The Boonta Eve Classic is one of the most exciting scenes. I love podracers.
    9) John Williams' score for TFA was underwhelming for the most part. It was overshadowed by the music from the official trailer.
    10) I hate "Super R2" from The Clone Wars, being able to fight Battle Droids and even outmaneuver the Slave I and dodge fire from Separatist cruisers.

DurararaFTW and RexExLiberi like this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies were both better than TFA. I actually really like Trek '09, while not really liking Into Darkness, but not hating it. TFA was just dull.

4. SithUnleashed

SithUnleashed Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2017
    - Rebels isn't interesting to me because Disney refuses to take any chances with it. TCW frequently killed characters and never relied on "formulas" for their episodes post-S2, while Rebels mostly follows the same formula almost every episode. They also over-promote arcs which turn out to be letdowns (Ahsoka Arc, Old Ben Arc, S3 Finale)

- TFA is by far the weakest SW film, generic plot, empty worlds, and uninteresting characters couldn't save it for me. TLJ looks promising though.

- Rogue One was a welcome change in terms of SW films and I enjoyed it far more than TFA.

- New SW content needs to start focusing on different era's other than OT, which is becoming oversaturated and IMO is only focused on due to capitalize on older fans nostalgia. Pre-prequel, and Prequel content would be appreciated.

My current rankings for reference:
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTS
    RoTJ
    AOTC
    RO
    TPM
    TFA

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think The Force Awakens is nearly as much of a rehash of A New Hope as a lot of people claim it is, and I think this will become more obvious following the release of The Last Jedi. It's really just superficial, surface level stuff that's similar or evocative of the familiar. Old seasoning, if you will; the actual character-centric meat tastes fresh. I also think in regards to the depth of the new characters, the mysteries raised regarding what happened in the thirty years following Return of the Jedi, and taking Luke, Han, and Leia in directions contrary to the ones we expected them to be taken in, it's actually one of the more interesting films in the series.

6. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    That's how I've always felt about TFA. All the rehashed stuff is just things anyone can spot on their first watch. But I guess some people would rather not dig into the meat and potatoes and would rather cry out "It has X-Wings and a battle station, so it's a rehash!!!"

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The only "bad" rehash stuff for me was starkiller base. I do think that was a lazy rehash. The rest of the story was only similar on the surface

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Totally agree. I think Abrams' Trek films are better than TFA in every way. Which leads to another one of my unpopular opinions: I think Disney would make better Star Wars movies by hiring directors who didn't worship the series while growing up.

9. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

It's not a re-hash of ANH. That narrative was proven false long ago. The core of it is(similar to the inverted structure of TPM) but not the entirety. TFA takes the spirits of ANH-TESB-ROTJ, and purposefully uses their acts implemented into TFA.

Which I will say, was an interesting thought. Just used in an uninteresting way.

Personally, I think that the use of it was barely used at all, which is why folks are led to trust the opinion of TFA being an ANH rehash. Hard to blame...

CaptainRegor and heels1785 like this.
  10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The majority of TFA's story was either stolen from the OT and/or made zero sense.

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

DP.

I very much agree with Rebels. It's an incredible show in it's own right of admission, but it feels a bit...Overzealous and over promoted, like you stated. I guess I do have to keep in mind that this is a children show, so the over promotion is just to keep the attention.

Rebels is like...EU the show and not in a good way. Far more than TCW...Though, it is a cartoon thankfully.

12. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    The Clone Wars micro series is the single best piece of media related to the PT.

Like what?

13. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Completely agree.

Stuff like the micro series really helped the PT era become one my favorite eras in star wars.

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    TheMoldyCrow
    Why would Finn spring the man who just murdered his best friend, and then proceed to murder more if his own comrades?
    Why did Kylo Ren kill the Villagers who likely knew where the map was, and then burn the village where the map was likely hidden?
    Why did the Finalizer allow the Millenium Falcon to escape Jakku?
    Why did Poe Dameron abandon Finn and BB8 on Jakku?
    And many more.

Hypatia and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  15. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    We have no idea how Finn felt about his other comrades. However, all his other squad members had no hesitation killing the villagers, yet he did. He probably saw them as monsters.

Why would any of the villagers know about the map? Lor San Tekka most likely kept any knowledge he had of the map on lock.

They didn't just allow the Falcon to leave. There was a whole squad of Stormtroopers and TIE's sent to the planet. Also, if I remember correctly, the Finalizer was already on its way to Starkiller Base by the time the Falcon left Jakku.

Who is to say he didn't try to look for them? We didn't even see him actually leave Jakku in the film.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Love that one. Stolen from the OT and doesn't make any sense. The OT didn't make sense then?

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  17. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Fair. But there is no reason for him to save Poe. This is reverse Stockholm Syndrome, which I doubt exists. Either way, Finn seems very emotionally unstable.

Sure they might have no knowledge, but Kylo doesn't know that. For all Kylo knows any one of those villagers might be the only one to know the map's location. Kylo is taking an enormous risk by killing the villagers and burning the village. Also destroying Poe's X-Wing was absolute stupidity. Kylo knows Poe is after the map; Assuming he already got it he likely stashed it in his starfighter. Whatever way you slice it, Kylo Ren looks like a moron.

This unveils more faults. In the first film the Empire leaves two destroyers above Tatooine on the off chance that the plans managed to grow wings and hop planet. I don't think the First Order really cares about securing the map.

Assuming Poe's hyperdrive is as fast as the Falcon's he would've had to have left Jakku before Rey and crew escaped from the gangs, in order to get back to the Resistance base on time. Poe must've gotten bored pretty fast. I'm just gonna guess he was demoted when he got back.

You tell me. IMO, the OT generally makes a lot of sense, compared to TFA. Thanks to JJ Abrams it's quite easy to compare the two.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  18. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Well either it doesn't make sense that it resembles the OT (in which case, how are you able to recognise them?), or it stole things from the OT and those things inherently don't make sense.

19. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    There is of course a reason he'd save Poe. Both of them want the same thing: to escape the First Order. He also flat out says why he's saving Poe when Poe asks him, and he responds with "because it's the right thing to do".

Kylo killed Lor San Tekka in front of the entire village, so I imagine Kylo thought someone would bring info about the map forth right after that. No one did, so he ordered them to be executed.

Of course they cared about the map. They still had a whole squad of troops and TIE's sent after BB-8. Then, they soon launch an attack on Takodana after learning the Falcon has landed there.

No where in the movie does it say that Poe left Jakku in his X-Wing. Maybe he called in the Resistance to come find him. Perhaps he went out to look for BB-8 for awhile. We don't know, because it's not shown on screen. It's kinda hard for something to "make zero sense" when we don't even know what happened.

20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Let's step back; Finn is a Stormtrooper. Poe kills Finn's Stormtrooper friend. Finn decides to rescue his friend's murderer and then murder more Stormtroopers. It really doesn't make sense. If Finn was a normal person he would swear to kill Poe and avenge his fallen comrade.

Kylo Ren is risking the future of the First Order. Why wouldn't he mind-read them to be completely sure they were useless!?! Executing them is insane.

Realistically they would've dispatched at least one Star Destroyer to create a blockade. This has been shown in ANH. The reason they didn't is pretty obvious: It wouldn't be convenient for the plot. You could say it's a nitpick, but I think military procedure should remain consistent in the films.

I never said anything about an X-Wing. All we need to know is easily deduced; We don't need to see him leave to realize he left in a hurry. The fact that he made it to the Resistance before Rey made it to Takadona states pretty clearly he left Jakku in a rush. Why Poe would make a huge fuss about going to Jakku, against Finn's will, and then abandon Finn baffles me.
    But alas this is an opinion thread so I doubt we should argue about opinions since we clearly aren't going to change each other's minds.

Hypatia and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Tales of the Jedi is significantly better then KOTOR.

22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    If you want another ridiculous display of a lack of military procedure, it was the total lack of an actual garrison near the thermal oscillators on Starkiller Base. I don't understand what the point is of converting an entire planet into a military installation if you're not going to treat it like it is.

23. SavedByChristAlone

SavedByChristAlone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2017
    Unpopular Opinion: I really like it that they have Hayden as the Force Ghost in ROTJ. It brings the six movies full circle.

24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    That is an argument that has been used by the PT defenders for ages, only to be ridiculed by the OT purists. Funny how the tables have turned. [face_thinking]

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  25. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017

This isn't an unpopular opinion, but a common one.