main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Uprezzifyin' a Video

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by tekmaster, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekmaster

tekmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2003
    What is the best way to uprezz or upsample (or whatever crazy way you say it) a video. I knew about S-Spline, but I was looking more along the lines of a cheap program, if not FREE.

2. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I think you're PROBABLY out of luck. I'll look around, though.

3. tekmaster

May 21, 2003
    Open Source program maybe?

4. JustinZ

JustinZ Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    You can use VirtualDub. Try using the resize filter together with the sharpen filter and play with the settings to see how good you can get it to look.

Justin

5. tekmaster

May 21, 2003
    I've tried the resize filter with a very very high grade yet low rez clip (320x240) and it blurred up too much, and then when sharpening it it made it look terribly unrealistic.

Or, does anyone have a tutorial on how to get great results?

6. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Short of that ultra-high-end S-Spline program, I think you're out of luck, I'm afraid.

7. tekmaster

May 21, 2003
    My name is Forrest, Forrest Bump.

8. JustinZ

JustinZ Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    Make sure you're using the Lanczos3 setting in VirtualDub. If that doesn't look close to the way you want it, then even S-Spline isn't going to make things much better. If, as I guess, you're trying to resize from 320x240 to 640x480, then you're asking the resize filter to quadruple the amount of information in your video. So for every pixel in the frame, the filter has to choose three more, and there's not enough information there for any filter to do a terrific job.

Justin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.