main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Using the Force while taking the fight to the enemy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by General Immodet, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Form Zero?

Just a thought.

Sent from my mobile desk via R3-S12

2. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Well let's see. We are told that the force is strong with Luke, it's strong in his family. Does that give him super powers and incredible strength? Or does that mean he just gets lucky every time something risky happens?

I feel like The Force plays the role of the Holy Spirit in the Christian faith, in a sense. The force is an outer being that controls all things, but it also can be used by the Jedi, and the Jedi are used by it. The fact that Luke was capable of playing a HUGE role in destroying the Death Star supports these ideas.

But in the end, only Lucas knows;)

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  3. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    True today, but if you saw the OT unspoilt, especially back in the day, when the Emperor busted that out it was pretty incredible. In fact, the EU (rpgs, video games, etc) actually had it as an ultimate unblockable small scale power for a long time, right up until AOTC (when Obi Wan blocked it with his saber)

4. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Yeah, I feel like AOTC kind of ruined force lightning. In ROTJ, force lightning looked like this super sacred ultimate power that only the strongest had. Then it gets blocked and used like its nothing in AOTC and ROTS.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The problem was Dooku using it in AOTC. They should have reserved it for just Palpatine, and it would have been fine for him to use it in ROTS in addition to ROTJ. Mace had a much harder time with Palpatine's lightning than Obi-Wan had with Dooku's (when deflecting it using their lightsabers). Plus, Palpatine's lightning seems to affect Mace and Luke a lot more than Dooku's affected Anakin.

6. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Yeah, even that would have made it better.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Because we didn't see it until after Luke threw down his lightsaber in ROTJ, we never found out whether or not it was unblockable in the OT. In The Last Command, Luke blocks "most" of C'baoth's lightning with his saber but is hit by the remainder, and it is implied that successive strikes would wear him down.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Seeing this on the forum view thing, it cuts off at "taking" which led me to expect this thread was titled "Using the Force while taking a dump."

Son of a Bith likes this.
  9. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Exactly. Only Sidious and Maul should have used lightning. Maul's should have been colored blood red. Imagine if he used it in TPM when the doors opened in Naboo Hangar, and fried like 5 guards at the same time, including Panaka, leaving only Padme alive. :thumbsup:

Then Sidious should have used his blue lightning in ROTS. The cool thing about Sidious's lightning was how even if it can be reflected (or heck absorbed) it's helluva difficult to do it. Mace was loosing it, he was about to loose his lightsaber when Sidious stopped and pretended to be wasted. Also, I really liked how Siddy disarmed Yoda with a lightning blast in the council chamber duel.

I also wish Sidious had used other dark side powers. He told Anakin "the dark side is a pathway to MANY abilities considered unnatural." So lets see these other abilities. Maybe Sidious could have transformed into a massive winged creature and attacked Yoda, then flown into space and destroyed Coruscant with a massive beam from it's mouth (kinda like a space dragon...but way cooler) :D

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, but I don't think Maul should have had lightning either... just Palpatine. :p

Dredalus likes this.
  11. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh fine! But Palps should also have destroyed a planet!

eht13 likes this.
  12. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Eh, I still don't think Maul should have had it. I really think it would have been so much greater if just Sidious used it. It would have made him look more than an old man who likes to manipulate, swing fast, and shock.

13. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013

eht13 likes this.
  14. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    I do hope we get to see more Force usage in the ST. Even Lucas did seem to be going that path: In ROTS we saw much more usage in duels than ever before. We also saw our first ever Force Lock (Obi vs Ani duel) and then the second ever (Siddy vs Yoda)

One common running theme in all 6 movies though, has been that it is typically the Sith who uses the Force offensively in duels. Vader used it in ESB, Sidious used it in ROTJ, Maul in TPM, Tyrannu in AOTC. It is only in ROTJ that we really saw Jedi use the Force offensively against a Sith (and Grievous) during duels.

Something interesting IMO. Wonder why Lucas changed his mind a bit, as a Jedi using the Force offensively kinda goes against Yoda's teachings to Luke (which IMO did make a whole lotta sense). Against droids ofcourse, a Jedi using the Force is fine.