main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader/Tarkin Question

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by I_AM_IRON_MAN, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    At some point Vader is talking to Tarkin about Obi Wan being on the Death Star. Vader mentions a tremor in the force, the last time he felt it was in the presence of his old master.

Does that mean Tarkin knows Vader is Anakin? I always thought that fact was only known by a few. If Tarkin didn't know that, why would Vader through that out?
    Or had it just not been decided that Vader was Luke's father?

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I believe in the EU it's discussed that Anakin and Tarkin are buddies. So, I assume Tarkin would know Vader was Anakin. That could also explain the level of respect Vader had for Tarkin.

3. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    This question most likely will be answered in episode 3. My opinion is that nobody in the Empire knows anything about Vader's past or who he really is except for Palpatine. Vader has probably mentioned his Jedi past and who his teacher was at one time or another but that's it. Let's remember that Anakin has been Vader for 20 years at the time of ANH. To everbody in the empire Vader has always been Vader and nobody else.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I think the key word is "old master."

Tarkin probably has some knowledge of the sith and knows that Palpatine is Vader's current master, and as a given, that he hasn't been with Palpatine or evil forever. Vader never says that Obi-Wan is his old master.

Long story short, I don't think Tarkin knows Anakin=Vader.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't think it matters either way. Tarkin obviously doesn't know much about the Force or the traditions surrounding it ("You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion"), so Vader could have told him anything and Tarkin would still be equally baffled and prone to agree with whatever Vader said.

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I always assumed everyone knew Vader had trained under Obi-Wan but very few knew he was Anakin Skywalker.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Actually, I believe neither was common knowledge in the GFFA. Only a few people knew either bit of information.

8. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I think Tarkin is one of the only people in on that information. The fact that he says "you, my friend, are all that's left of their religion" to me indicates that he knows that Vader is a Jedi-turned-Sith as opposed to say, The Emperor.

9. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think that Tarkin knows what we as the audience knew before ESB: that "Darth Vader" was once a Jedi under Obi-Wan Kenobi, turned to evil, and helped destroy the Jedi.

Tarkin, like the audience, can know this without knowing who Anakin Skywalker was.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The fact that he says "you, my friend, are all that's left of their religion" to me indicates that he knows that Vader is a Jedi-turned-Sith as opposed to say, The Emperor.

That's interesting. I'd always assumed it meant even Tarkin didn't know about the Emperor, but you're right, Tarkin could also be saying Vader has residual Jedi-hood in him and therefore is the last of the Jedi.

11. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Your right DLM. The key word in Tarkin's statement was "their religion" concluding that he was talking about the Jedi and not the Sith, unless Tarkin doesn't place differences in Jedi and Sith.

12. I_AM_IRON_MAN

Apr 11, 2002
    "I think that Tarkin knows what we as the audience knew before ESB: that "Darth Vader" was once a Jedi under Obi-Wan Kenobi, turned to evil, and helped destroy the Jedi.

Tarkin, like the audience, can know this without knowing who Anakin Skywalker was. "

Then, at some point, isn't Anakin Skywalker going to change his name to Darth Vader, and still train under Obi-Wan?

13. DarthSrnec

DarthSrnec Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Why can't Tarkin know that Vader was Anakin? Tarkin is old enough in Hope to have been around when Anakin turned to the Dark Side.
    Furthermore, whether this was knowledge known to only a few (as most believe) is no reason to exclude Tarkin from that few. He is obviously a close confidante of the Emperor and "friend" of Vader (as much as he had any). If he can hold Vader's metaphorical leash, he can certainly be an insider who knows Vader's past, whether many others are aware or not.
    Finally, the movies imply this. Tarkin knew who Vader's Jedi master was, thus due to his age and profession as a politician and soldier he could easily remember that Obi-Wan's last apprentice was the reputable Anakin Skywalker. It wouldn't take him long whether the Emperor or Vader explicitly ever said it or not.

14. I_AM_IRON_MAN

Apr 11, 2002
    I don't have a problem with Tarkin knowing Vader is Anakin. In fact, I think you would have to assume that. If he didn't know, Vader's line certainly would have raised several questions.

15. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    "The Jedi are extinct. Their fire is gone from the universe. You my friend is all that's left of their religion."
    --Tarkin

I believe Tarkin did know that Darth Vader went by Anakin Skywalker--Jedi Knight, at one point in his life. He knew that Vader was once a Jedi. Especially when Vader refers to Obi-Wan as his former Master. Yep, Tarkin knew.

16. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    Tarkin must know Vader and his past very well, when Vader told him "He is here" he knew immediately who is he talking about. Maybe they worked together from the beginning. The whole conversatoion suggests me that Tarkin had a trouble with OB1 too.

17. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Well i thought Vader had just told him it was Obi Wan, off camera right before we saw him, i mean who would know what he meant by 'he"?

Vader: He is here

Grand Moff Tarkin: Who? the emperor?! is he come to to check on us?!?!?!?! No? the ghost of Christmas past?! No not that!!! i knew he'd coem after me some day!!! No?....

Darth Vader: uh, no. Obi Wan Kenobi.

Tarkin: oh him... surly he must be dead by now....

sorry if i was getting off topic.

i don't think Vader knows her is anikan he jsut knows what the Audience knows more or less, maybe more since he knows the Emperor and Vader well, he might know though it wouldn't matter too much.

18. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think it's totally plausible that Tarkin knows of Anakin Skywalker only as a legend (like Mace Windu, Yoda, Obi-Wan, etc.) and assumes that Anakin like the others are all dead.

Knowing "Darth Vader" was once a Jedi is seperate and independent from knowing "Darth Vader" was once Anakin Skywalker. One does not imply the other.

NOTE: I'm not saying Tarkin DOESN'T know, I'm just saying there's no proof he knows.

19. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    I'm with you K-man.

Jag29

20. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "Does that mean Tarkin knows Vader is Anakin? "

I would wager yes.

21. obi-man

obi-man Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2000
    This all will be discussed in EP 3, I'm sure. I think the sith will always be in "hiding."

I doubt if anyone, even Tarkin knows that Palpatine is a sith. Palp will only reveal himself to the jedi. I believe in EP 3, Palp will declare the jedi as useless or traitors (because of Dooku) to the republic and need to be gotten rid of. Everybody but Anakin, who will probably be seen as the only jedi who was loyal to the republic.

As far as Tarkin and the rest of the empire is concerned, Vader is just a title given to Anakin Skywalker, who is a jedi. But by the OT, the jedi aren't thought of as being anything important. Remember, what Motti said:

"Your sad devotion to that ancient religion."

He can't be talking about Palpatine and the sith religion. No emperial officer would make light of the religion of the emperoer. Motti is talking about the religion of the jedi. That is why he trashes it.

---Obi-man

22. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Considering that LUCAS didn't know Vader was Anakin at this point, I think we have to assume that Tarkin believed that Obi once had a student named Darth Vader.

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. obi-man

obi-man Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2000
    ///Considering that LUCAS didn't know Vader was Anakin at this point, I think we have to assume that Tarkin believed that Obi once had a student named Darth Vader.///

I don't like thinking of SW in that way. With that logic, after watching ANH- Luke would have had the hots for Leia. I would rather think that Tarkin new about Anakin and what happen to him. I bet Palp. will make up a story that the "jedi traitors" were trying to destroy the republic and Anakin fought back against them and almost died to protect the republic. I could see the movie ending in that way.

---Obi-man

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Luke would have had the hots for Leia.

Uh... he did.

"Who is she? She's beautiful!"

I think he had the hots for Leia... and could you blame him?

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I always believed that Tarkin was old enough to know about the Jedi, the Clone Wars, and the turn of Anakin to the Dark Side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.