main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader's contemplation at the end of ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Skyler, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyler

Skyler Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2000
    After the Falcon escapes cloud city and the Executor, Vader looks out the window from the bridge and does a small double take. What is going through is mind at that time? I've always kind of considered that he's beginning to realize and reflect that destiny is not on his side. He seems defeated to me.

2. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    'Great, now I gotta tell Palps that I failed him. Luke escaped; however the rebel base was destroyed. The mission wasn't a total failure.'

I'll bet the Executive Officer and the rest of the bridge crew was thinking (about Piett) was 'Dead Man Walking.'

3. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Cheif is right.

4. Skyler

May 5, 2000
    Piett was obviously not killed by Vader, and that's why I believe Vader was starting to realize the big picture; he didn't kill Piett because he was beginning to realize that it was out of his control, that destiny was now on their side and there's nothing He or Piett can do about it.

5. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    That's always been one of my favorite scenes from Empire Strikes back. When Darth just kind of accepts the fact that he can't do anything more about the situation.
    PS-I think he didn't do anything to Piett afterwards because the guy had done all he could to prevent them from escaping; he wasn't careless.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That contemplation is the moment Vader actively began turning away from the dark side.

7. Skyler

May 5, 2000
    interesting. I might agree

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " That contemplation is the moment Vader actively began turning away from the dark side."

Agreed. With such power at his disposal, Vader must be wondering why Luke would willingly turn away from it. Is Luke, the person forseen by the Emperor himself as killing him, truly wrong in his choice, or could it be that Vader himself made the wrong choice?

Quite a conundrum.

Then again, he may simply have seen a falling star, and wanted to make a wish... :D

9. Skyler

May 5, 2000
    maybe I should ask, what did they intend for us to think that Vader was thinking about?

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, that's the thing. It's a moment of reflection and thought for Vader, so we can pretty much apply any of a large amount of options.

* Concern about failing the Emperor
    * Disappointment about losing his son
    * Respect for his son's abilities
    * Wonder if he is doing the right thing

...and so on.

I love that moment.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the general idea presented so far is correct about how serious his thoughts may have been, but I recall the audience laughing just a little at the double take and the rather sheepish looks from the Imperial officers hoping vader would not kill them as he walked by.

12. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Vader was intelligent. He knew that just because the hyperdrive was deactivated didn't mean that it couldn't be repaired at anytime. The Millennium Falcoln had its reputation for being a fast ship. But I think he had to start thinking of a new stragedy in bringing Luke to the dark side of the Force and he was also deciding on what he should say to the Emperor.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I also think it's remarkable that David Prowse was able to get Vader's contemplation across so clearly to the audience without us being able to see his eyes.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, somehow Vader (and C-3PO) are wonderfully acted. Especially in double takes: remember 3PO's on Endor? ;) Always liked that and do that myself on purpose - last time was today :p

15. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jedi_Queen_Mx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Hey Party People,

I, for one, view ESB as the character transition episode. Think about it, all the characters do a 180 degree turn. Luke faces up to his responsibilities. Leia rediscovers her-self. Han finds someone, who isn't him, to die for. And Vader, finally, learns to say **** It! to the Empire (and I am in agreement with you KnightWriter) and quite literality turns 180 degrees and starts his long walk (no pun ;) ) back to the Light Side of the Force, baby! :cool:

VEGETABLE RIGHTS AND PEACE!

:D

Edit: Typo.

16. Dark_Hunter

Dark_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2003
    Skyler, you make a good point about the reason Vader didn't kill Piett. I always thought it was strange that Piett lived to tell the tale, and reappeared in ROTJ (while Ozzel was so mercilessly despatched by Vader for his failure). I always considered it a bit of a plot hole and never thought till now that maybe Vader actively chose not to kill Piett. Maybe we do see a little of the light side returning in Vader at that moment...

17. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I thought of it as Vader having a lot on his mind...he's not going to be thinking about killing another officer, not while he's pondering his first meeting with his son and all that entails...

18. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    I always thought that his son (Luke) brought conflict into Vader for the first time since turning to the dark side. When Vader left the bridge I felt it was to contemplate what he was going to do with Luke (which obviously was affected by how deep Vader was in it with the Emperor).

19. brockbaby

brockbaby Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2003
    David Prowse had amazing body language. If Hayden will be in the suit and not David I'm hoping the body language comes across good as well

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    If his Vaderisms in AotC are any indication, there is hope.
    He just has to point a lot more :p

21. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    To me, Vader was pretty much beside himself.

"Dammit, he got away. Ah, you let him get away, you never let them get away. Yeah I did. I let him, I mean he's my-- **** it. Just **** it."

I think this 180 as someone said earlier was head on!

22. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Watch AotC. I think Hayden's got the body language down.

As for the contemplation, I agree. It's the moment he realizes that he has something else to live for other than being an "agent of evil." Meeting his son had a profound effect on him.

23. capo

capo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    What is going through is mind at that time?

he was thinking hmm do i want fries w/ that?

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, I've always liked that moment as well. :)

It interestingly very much mirrors one of his moments in AOTC...

Here's what I mean...

25. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Sithman,

Thanks, that was interesting. I never thought of that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.