main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vehicles/Ships of the Saga - A Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Ignant, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I like the Naboo cruiser at the beginning of AOTC. It's sounds like an old propeller airplane, but much more powerful. Burtt over did the rhythm type sound effects with the podracers, but I still really like the Naboo one.

Honourable mention goes to speeder bikes in ROTJ.

This will now be the 'officially' sanctioned thread for the discussion of the ships and vehicles of the saga.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Definately Zam's speeder. I love it! :D

3. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    Republic Gunships!

4. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Like Dash said, lets use this thread to discuss, not just to list. ;)

5. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I read the companion books religiously, especially the "Art of," "Cross-section," and "Visual Dictionary" books. Because of my nearly photographic memory of the contents of these books, I noticed while watching the ROTS trailers that many new vehicles seem to be based on old drawings from TPM and ATOC. I won't go into specifics because I don't want to spoil anyone, but I wanted to ask how this might affect the quality of the vehicles in ROTS since all the vehicles before seem to be original designs for each movie. Could using older designs allow for more detail on the special effects since less time will be taken getting a design finalized? The vehicles and ships of SW have always been my favorite aspect of the films besides the story itself.

6. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    I've always been partial to the Star Destroyer. It's a nice combination of mobile base, aircraft carrier, and battleship. That and it looks cool too.

7. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    i like nutes ship at the end of TPM

8. Aahhz

Aahhz Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    apoligize if this has been addressed elsewhere or seems a silly question, but it has been something that has bothered me for a long time.

In Empire Strikes Back, how did the AT-ATs (and other troops for that matter) get to the planet.

I have not seen a landing craft used by the Empire anywhere, nor can I find reference to one searching the various sites on the internet.

The basic answer I am sure is, "The Empire has a landing craft similar to the Republic Assault Ship from Episode 2" but they altered everything else along the way, so do they use something different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also on a side not....an Imperial Star Destroyer can not land on a planet can it?

9. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    AT-ATs have dedicated landing barges. Go check out some screen shots of the new SW RTS game that comes out in the fall for a good shot of what they look like.

I think SDs are too big to land. They would probably collapse under thier own weight if they tried to do so.

10. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I don't think this qualifies as a spoiler, but the Seperatist Gunship from Episode 3. I'm glad they gave the Seperatists a low-flying ship capable of putting down some serious pain. Watching AOTC, one might think that the Republic could win almost any ground engagement with 3 or 4 of their gunships, seeing as how easily they cut through the droid armies. I'm also glad to see that the snail-tank is going to be in Episode 3, the Confederacy needs some faster ground vehicles with more firepower. I have been a big fan of that vehicle since the Art of AOTC book came out.

11. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Since sith_rising didn't get busted with a spoiler...

I'm glad he mentioned the Sep gunship. It is what I was thinking of in my earlier post since it was an early design for the Rep gunship. I wonder why they went this route when all the other ship were original, movie specific, designs (except for ROTS).

12. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    What really struck me was the shape of the new forthcoming clone starfighter. It remindes me strongly of a very well known ship in ANH ...

(Hope that was clear enough without using spoilers ;) ).

13. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    A good place for information on vehicles/ships and how they're used in war can be found at Stardestroyer.net. It presents information as if the empire were going to go to war with the Star Trek Federation.

14. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    apoligize if this has been addressed elsewhere or seems a silly question, but it has been something that has bothered me for a long time.

In Empire Strikes Back, how did the AT-ATs (and other troops for that matter) get to the planet.

I have not seen a landing craft used by the Empire anywhere, nor can I find reference to one searching the various sites on the internet.

The basic answer I am sure is, "The Empire has a landing craft similar to the Republic Assault Ship from Episode 2" but they altered everything else along the way, so do they use something different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also on a side not....an Imperial Star Destroyer can not land on a planet can it?

Look on the game Force Commander and also the book Inside the Worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy. The Empire use two different variations of the same landing craft, an AT-AT landing barge that can only hold a single AT-AT or several smaller vehicles, or the Titan landing barge that can take several AT-AT's at a time.

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    my favorite ship of the saga is still the X-Wing. just an awesomely versatile litle one-man fighter capable of taking on moon-sized, planet-destroying space stations. what more do you need?

16. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    As I watched TESB for the first time, I believed that the AT-ATs were deployed by the Star Destroyers themselves. Nonsense, as I consider it now. Also, I interpreted General Veers' message to Lord Vader "that he can begin landing on the planet" as a landing of Vader's Star Destroyer itself. ;)

17. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    So many:

Started with the Executor (which is my favorite all time SW ship),
    the Republic Gunship (damn cool design)
    the AT-TEs, AT-ATs and AT-STs (love them all, the movement, the design etc)
    The Falcon (a classic)
    the Jedi-Starfighters (from EP II and EP III)

Actually I could list all the SW ships here, because they all look damn cool. :) :D

Can't wait to see the new design of the ships in EP III.

18. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Here's something that's been bothering me for awhile. Most people think the Millinieum(sp) Falcon is one of the coolest looking ships yet. I have to agree but just what is it about the Falcon that makes it look cool? Is it the shape? The radar dish? What do you think?

19. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    The outrider cockpit is just so darnded sexy. Plus the fact it makes people think you're brave.

20. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Is there anyone else here who when they were REALLY young had the toy of Slave 1 and actually played with it like it flew with the big flat side face down? Or am I the only idiot here?

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Death Star is my favorite. It represents many things in the Saga.

1. In ANH it is The Labrynth; a maze the heroes must deal with to reach the next threshhold.

2. It is the lair of the Dragon. The heroes must go there to rescue a princess.

3. The DS IS a dragon, and is slain by a hero of light.

Not to mention it's just cool looking and can blow up stuff, but good.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/zs/rotj/s_ds2_02.jpg]

22. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    Is there anyone else here who when they were REALLY young had the toy of Slave 1 and actually played with it like it flew with the big flat side face down? Or am I the only idiot here?

We're both idiots together.

23. doubleOjedi

doubleOjedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2005
    "Is there anyone else here who when they were REALLY young had the toy of Slave 1 and actually played with it like it flew with the big flat side face down? Or am I the only idiot here?"

I was like, that's a stupid place for a handle!

24. DARTH_VRUC

DARTH_VRUC Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2004
    I thing I don't like is that the PT doesn't have many "estabilished" vehicles/ships, but there are new ones for each episode.I have no problem with variety, but wats the point of 3 version of Naboo Royal Yacht wich have the same purpose?
    The same goes to the Seppies ground vehicles-I know it was ment to reprisent different factions within the CIS, but the cassual viewer didn't care anyway.I wish there were AAT tanks on Geonosis...
    I also don't think some thing like the Juggernaught are needed-AT-TE's are way better.
    The only ships I'm 100% satisfied in the PT are the CIS's ships in RotS.Too bad they weren't in AotC insted of the ugly Hardcells...

25. GaryGygax

GaryGygax Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    I complete agree with you. I think this is another example of how the financial/technological constraints of the OT, particularly the original film titled Star Wars of 1977, actually improved the films. Because Lucas was limited in the number of ships (models) and effects he could use, he had to concentrate on giving them character, as they contributed to the telling of the story. Now that he can generate whatever he needs on his computers, he doesn't have to spend much time on them, so, for instance, the Jedi fly different Star Fighters in each film, for no good reason beyond "look at the new ships". Until Sith, these ships don't even have any family resemblence, and in Sith the resemblence is to OT tie-fighters and the astericks-wing clone ships to X-wings. The worst for me were the TPM ships, particulatly Padme's chromed out Skunkworks SR-71 spyplance--it wasn't even original, it just looked like a silver cgi version of my Revel SR-71 model with out its verticle stablizers. With ships in Star Wars it is true, sometimes less is more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.