main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Walking the Sky - sequel to I, Mara Jade - L/M AU - competed 9/12/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMara77, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Luke looked affronted. ?Oh, no, I?d be much too frightened to tease my pregnant wife.? LOL now why does that remind me of Anakin and Padme'? :p
    Hmm, I'm also very curious about Mara's past history with that dude...whose name escapes me already. :oops:

YIKES! Scary moment there...you had me holding my breath. :eek: Glad Both Mara and the youngling-to-be are OK. But those circumstances are awfully suspicious...[face_thinking]

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Well since I've never read Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight I'm finding this plot a lot of fun and full of surprises! I also really enjoyed that little nod to ROTS at dinner, and the way L & M continue to develop in your version of their universe.

And I already told you that I know you can do both, but I guess if I had to choose, I'd choose WOTF to finish first (only because I want my angsty, happy ending!). :p

3. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Woo, pregnant Mara, learning to let Luke help!

Nice. I do love the way your AUs stay true to the original stories while still being... well, AUs. Very nice.

4. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    Well, if asking for a glass of water takes so much deliberation on Mara's part than she has a looong way to go... But you have to start somewhere, right? ;) And angry Luke - totally sexy!

I like the way the plot is unraveling, and I wonder what will you do with Jinzler and Hano... As always, I hope for an early update! :D

5. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    You knew I was going to do it sooner or later--there's a shine to chapter 5 over on lukeandmara. It's just mindless smut... no plot or secrets or anything of that sort. ;) Enjoy!!

6. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    Oooh, Luke is protective. With good reason. They definitely don't want the Jedi leaving.

7. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Jade Eyes: Haha, thanks! Unfortunately all the hold up on WotF is coming from my end, considering I decided to rewrite my two big action sequences. I know it'll be better this way, but it's daunting to rewrite 8 chapters when you've already written 71k words. I'm hoping to finish these last three chapters within the next two weeks.

Jedi Lover: It's not really that Luke is concerned - considering their relationship and Force bond, he has nothing to worry about. He'd actually prefer if Mara actually had a relationship with LaRone, because that would have been normal, you know?

ginchy: Uh-huh, whatever you say. :p

You won't need the brave hat here for a while. ;) And yes, protective Luke is wonderful - and just as scary as protective Mara!

And can I just say I love how you think updating once a week is slow?? Girl, for most of us that is super-duper fast!!!

Heh, well, you know me!

Hazel: All aspects of Luke are adorable. ;) Thanks!

kataja: Aww, it's so good to see them together!

Isn't it? They worked together so well in canon that I had to put them together again!

Love love love love this...

Credit goes to Attack of the Clones on that one. ;)

Yessnesss! He was jealous!!!! grin devil Why, of course - he was a lttle farmboy back when LaRone was already a man, so I can see why...

[face_laugh] Well, I wouldn't say jealous...maybe a tad bit (but who wouldn't when considering a current significant other's ex?)...but I think that Luke WANTED for Mara to have had a relationship with LaRone, because that would have been part of normal teenage years. The fact that she was not even allowed to consider the fact is much more disturbing to him.

I'm SO proud of her!!! Awesome sweet little scene!!!

She's growing. Maybe soon she'll be like Mirax, ordering Luke around to get her some more puff pies. ;)

Ok, in typical fashion I've commented on all the fangirl stuff - but this was also a very good chapter plotwise! Good, steady start and then a sudden accident. Couldn't be better

Thanks! :) I've said to ginchy before that I feel that these first few chapters were so boring, because nothing really happens other than people talking and moving the plot along. Of course she says I'm crazy, but what can you do. ;)

jaded jewel: Thank you!

wbsaw: Thanks! Well, I'm using the same premise as Survivor's Quest and many of the same characters. But come the end of next chapter, you'll see a big divergence.

Briannakin: And protective Daddy Luke is even scarier than Dark!Luke!

JainaSoloYJK: Because it was supposed to! :)

Hmm, I'm also very curious about Mara's past history with that dude...whose name escapes me already.

She just worked with LaRone. But I always thought they would have made a good pair, had Mara had time for a normal relationship.

YIKES! Scary moment there...you had me holding my breath.

Awesome! Don't worry, there will be no miscarriages in this story!

taramidala: Thanks! One of my favorite things about this universe is taking canon and incorporating it in little bits and pieces. Yeah, this is an AU, but I still want it to feel like canon.

And I already told you that I know you can do both, but I guess if I had to choose, I'd choose WOTF to finish first (only because I want my angsty, happy ending!).

Lol! Well, I know I can write WtS at the same time as I edit WotF - problem is that now I've gotten to the chapters of WotF that I have to completely rewrite, which obviously takes more time. So at this point, writing two things at once is daunting. Once I get past the rewrite part of WotF, I can get back to splitting my attention. Moral of the story is that you might have to wait a bot for another chapter of this one.

Katana: Nice. I do love the way your AUs stay true to the original stories while still being... well, AUs. Very nice.

Thanks! That's what I aspire to!

M

8. PadmeSkywalkerSHM

PadmeSkywalkerSHM Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 25, 2010
    It soooo wasn't an accident. Poor baby! Wouldnt want it getting hurt. That would be bad.

9. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    PadmeSkywalker: Don't worry - I'm not going to harm the baby. I've already one that once in my writing career. ;) But you're right - it was no accident.

All I can say about this chapter is a hearty MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. *cough*

CHAPTER 6

The lightwhip strikes close to my torso, nearly singeing my combat jumpsuit. I dodge out of the way, deftly contorting my body out of range of the lethal strike. Lumiya growls but I push forward, using her anger and distraction to my advantage.

My violet blade is swift, making nimble strikes against her longer, more unpredictable weapon. She retaliates, swinging the bright tendrils in a wide arc over my head, while at the same time calling on the Force to throw a large boulder in my direction. I hold out my hand and the boulder hits an invisible barrier in the Force. It falls to the ground, making a large crack in the stone beneath our feet.

Again I press my advantage, leaping toward her with my lightsaber pointed directly at her chest. Lumiya brings her lightwhip up to parry, but is too slow and must roll to the ground to avoid my attack. I stumble over her body, instantly turning around and preparing myself for another attack.

The wind whips around us, loose tendrils from my braid blowing free in the harsh atmosphere of Caprioril. But we do not allow the environment to affect us. We stand in impasse for several seconds, our weapons held tightly at our sides, both waiting for the other to make the first move.

There is a flicker of awareness, a warning from the Force that I have come to recognize and welcome during my years serving the Emperor. I will not win this battle, but I can escape if I try. At that moment I wonder if it is worth the effort, if I would rather take this cyborg with me to the beyond than continue to live as a free, albeit poor and disadvantaged, woman.

But again I feel a nudge from the Force, a reassurance that things will be okay. I cannot possibly imagine how things will get better, how I could ever return to something similar to my old lifestyle and be content, if not happy.

YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER.

The voice in my head spurs me back to the present, as it always does. It reminds me of my purpose, of my sacred duty. My master may be dead, but I am not. And I will keep fighting until my last command as the Emperor’s Hand is finally completed.

I give Lumiya a wicked smile, and then strike.

“Mara? Mara?”

A warm hand fell on my arm and rubbed, trying to gently pull me from sleep. Instead I jumped, startled at the presence of a person next to me in bed, especially his presence. Rage boiled up inside of me and I reacted on pure instinct. I grabbed his arm with both hands and pushed as hard I as could, reaching out into the Force for assistance.

“Ow!” Luke fell onto the floor in a heap, and for a moment all I could see was his unkempt blond hair sticking up past the side of the mattress. One hand flew to my mouth as I realized what I’d just done, while the other fell to my stomach. My eyes welled up with tears and I had to look away as Luke rose from the floor and hesitantly perched on the very edge of the bed. “What was that for?” His voice was harsh, but he softened upon seeing the tears in my eyes. “Mara? What’s wrong?”

I wiped my eyes with the heel of my hand. “Nothing. Stupid pregnancy hormones.” My thoughts were reeling, my brain still in sleep mode and startled from hearing that voice in my head once more. After Nirauan, I thought those old memories had gone away forever. Apparently, I was wrong.

“Then why did you throw me off the bed?”

“You should know better by now than to wake me up from a dead sleep.”

Luke was not impressed with my excuse. “Mara.”

I blew out a harsh breath, and could not stop another tear from falling down my cheek. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize what I was doing.”

Luke nodded knowingly. “Another dream?”

I nodded back, still avoiding his gaze.

He scooted over on the bed until he was next to me. “Your dreams are getting more frequent, aren’t they?”

Another nod. “And they’re getting…different.”

“Good different or bad different?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Good, I think. I’m not dying, at least. And I seem to be getting the upper hand in the duel. But…”

“But what?”

“…But now I’m hearing that last command in my head.” I cringed at the words, and could hardly believe that I was being so open. Maybe it was the whole pregnancy thing. Or maybe I was just growing up. Perish the thought.

Luke cocked his head. “That concerns me, Mara. I thought you were…over all that.”

“You think it doesn’t concern me, too? I’m the one who just shoved my husband out of bed. I’m the one thinking murderous thoughts of the person whose baby I’m carrying.”

He folded me into his embrace. “I know. It’s okay.”

I let him whisper soothing words to me, knowing that it made him feel better about the situation. And if I was being completely honest with myself, it made me feel better, too. Plus, it was always nice to be held by him.

See? Pregnancy hormones.

“Perhaps we should meditate, and try to figure out if your shifting dreams mean something.”

I shook my head. “Maybe later, after this mission is over. I don’t think I can concentrate enough right now.”

“Okay. But my offer is always open, whenever you want.”

“I know.”

We fell silent. The steady thump of Luke’s heartbeat calmed me, and my eyes started to close again. Then I remembered something. “Hey, why’d you wake me up in the first place?”

Luke tilted his head to look at me, and made a regretful face. “We’re almost at Brask Oto. Formbi wants us at a ceremony in half an hour.”

I sprung up in bed. “Are we out of hyperspace?” Before he could answer, I reached out with the Force and found my answer. “Good.” I smacked my palm on the mattress and climbed out of bed.

“Where are you going?” Luke asked, still concerned for my mindset.

But we had more important things to worry about at that moment. “I’m going to check our messages; see if Karrde has any information on Hano or Jinzler. You are going to investigate the welcome room, specifically that banner. With us coming up on the command station, the Chiss will be preoccupied.”

Luke grinned. “I knew there was a reason I married you.”

I pulled a fresh tunic over my head, and grinned back at him. “Funny; you said the same thing the other night.”

Luke scowled and tossed my cloak at my head.

We met on the command station observation deck. Brask Oto Command Station glistened in empty space outside the viewport, a double-pyramid-shaped mass of white metal and very different from any space station I’d ever seen before.

There Formbi had us “pause and consider,” stating that before we were to go any further on this mission, we all had to be certain of our intentions. I was beginning to wonder exactly how treacherous the Redoubt really was. Luke and I had been to the Maw several years ago on a diplomatic mission, and that had become my benchmark for tricky navigation.

When at the end of the ceremony Formbi somehow flipped the visuals in the viewport and the Redoubt came into glorious being in front of me, I gained a new standard for tricky navigation. It seemed like there were hundreds of stars packed into a compact sphere, and the Chaf Envoy was going straight inside.

From beside me, Luke let out a low whistle. I nodded my head in agreement. “Perhaps we ought to remind Formbi of our offer to help with navigation,” he said out of the corner of his mouth.

I shrugged my shoulders. “They know this place better than we do. And they have LaRone’s navigational data to follow, not to mention Outbound Flight’s distress signal.”

“If all that data remains stable in a place like this.” Luke looked back to the viewport, awe on his still-youthful face. I always loved that about him—that no matter how many things he’d seen and accomplished, he remained that wide-eyed farm boy from Tatooine.

Formbi announced that we’d be jumping to hyperspace soon and reminded us that the journey would take approximately four days. Four days on a ship with two unknowns, a Chiss general who couldn’t stand humans or Jedi, and an Imperial general who was supposed to be friendly but didn’t seem to be completely honest.

It would be, for lack of a better word, an interesting journey.

Luke and I hurried back to our stateroom after the ceremony and proceeded to divulge our findings. “Karrde sent over Jinzler’s employment record.” I handed over a datacard with the information. “He just recently started working on one of his outposts. Karrde speculates that he somehow intercepted one of the Empire of the Hand’s messages.”

Luke furrowed his brow. “Karrde’s security must be getting lax now that Ghent’s working for the New Republic.”

“Yeah, Karrde isn’t happy about it. But Karrde still uses all of Ghent’s old protocols. Jinzler has to be very technically savvy to slice through that.”

“Which means he needs to be watched like a hawk-bat for the next four days. Shall you take that, or shall I?”

“You take Jinzler, I’ll take Hano.”

“Which means that whatever information Karrde sent about Hano is much more interesting,” Luke said knowingly.

I smiled innocently. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Master Skywalker.”

Luke groaned. “Don’t start that now. We have important things to discuss.”

“Okay,” I pouted, loathe to stop teasing him but he did have a point. “According to Karrde’s information, Hano shouldn’t exist.”

“What?”

“Karrde could only find one reference to the Nephro. They’re a near-human species that never left the Outer Rim. Correction—they were a near-human species. Apparently, they died out when the Vagaari attacked them about forty years ago.”

“Right around the time Outbound Flight supposedly saved them,” Luke finished for me. “Could Hano possibly be the lone survivor?”

“Who knows? But I trust Karrde, and I don’t trust Hano. Something is off about her. I know you’ve sensed it.”

“Yes, but I’ve also sensed something off with Jinzler,” Luke said. “And he has the technical background to get into the greeting room and sabotage that banner.”

“So it was cut?”

“Oh yeah. There’s no way it could have detached on its own.”

“Hmm.” I paused, considering the situation. Luke was right; Jinzler had the technical background to pull off that bit of sabotage and he was suspicious. “But think about it. Hano is going along on this mission so she can pay her respects to the Jedi, right?”

“Right.”

“But you started the Academy four years ago,” I pointed out. “Why would she wait until now to reach out to the Jedi?”

“She’s been in the Unknown Regions.”

“Exactly! She shouldn’t know anything about us, but she does. She knows about the Academy and our wedding. She knows things about us that only someone reading the holozines would learn. It just doesn’t fit, Luke.”

He sighed. “You’re right. They’re both prime suspects. Maybe they’re working together?”

“Possibly.”

“Which brings us back to the point of watching them like hawk-bats over the next four days. I’ll take Jinzler, you take Hano?”

I nodded. “It’s just like old times, isn’t it?”

Luke placed a hand on my belly. “Well. Not exactly like old times.” He smiled at me, then kissed me.

During the next four days we dropped out of hyperspace several times for navigational readings and to make course corrections. I took advantage of those moments to check my messages from Karrde, but didn’t receive anything other than the first message. I wondered if his signal could get out this far, but it didn’t really matter. Luke and I tailed Jinzler and Hano as discussed. The two of them rarely spoke to one another, except at dinner, so I was beginning to doubt that they were working together. Jinzler continued to express the same dislike of the Jedi, but then again so did General Drask. For all we knew, Drask could have been the saboteur, or even Fel, who had invited us on this mission in the first place. I didn’t really believe that either Drask or Fel would be involved in something so insidious, but anything was possible.

On the second day, I followed Rida Hano to one of the observation rooms. She sat near the viewport, staring out at the stars. I allowed her a few minutes of solitude before stepping inside. “Do you mind if I join you?” I asked.

Hano turned around and smiled. “Not at all.” She gestured to the empty seat next to her. “I’d be honored, Jedi Skywalker.”

“Please, call me Mara,” I reminded her.

Hano nodded. “It is a lovely view, is it not?”

I took a seat, keeping my eyes on the starlines zooming past us. “Hyperspace—the traveler’s companion,” I said, quoting the old proverb. “Do you travel a lot?”

“One travels often in the Unknown Regions. Of course, the Nephro have no choice, with no homeworld.”

“Of course,” I echoed. “Where are the rest of your people?”

“On our ship. Others wanted to join me, but it was decided that only one should make the journey to honor our Jedi saviors.”

“You must feel very honored to have been chosen.”

“Yes.” Hano’s eyes turned distant. “I do feel honored.” She glanced at me and smiled again. “You must feel honored, too, as the wife of the Jedi Master.”

I snorted. “Nah, he’s the one who should be honored.”

Hano looked confused at first, then chuckled. “Oh, you are being humorous. I understand.”

“He is a wonderful husband,” I allowed. “Tell me, Rida, were you present during Thrawn’s attack on Outbound Flight?”

She nodded. “The Jedi had just defended us against the Vagaari attackers. They were all but destroyed, with the help of the Chiss. But then the Chiss turned against the Jedi. I was very saddened.”

“So both the Jedi and the Chiss fought against the Vagaari?”

“Yes. We escaped to hyperspace during the attack.”

“You didn’t think it prudent to assist the Jedi who had just saved you?”

Hano glared at me. “We were in no shape to be defending anyone. We would have been destroyed.”

I help up my hands. “Of course. No offense intended.”

“I wish that we could have helped. But nothing could be done. Thrawn was too powerful.”

“Yes, he was,” I murmured. But not strong enough.

“When are you due?” Hano asked, changing the subject.

“Excuse me?”

She gestured toward my stomach. “Your child.”

“Oh. Um, I’m about four months.”

“So you have nearly six months to go. I bet you are excited.”

“Yes, I am.” I kept my tone light, although my mind was whirling—did the Nephro have similar reproductive systems to humans, or was it just a lucky guess? I tried a question: “Have you ever had children, Rida?”

She shook her head sadly. “Unfortunately, I was never able to conceive. It is a great regret of my life.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“But I can only imagine how happy Master Skywalker is,” Hano continued, “to have a child of his own.” She smiled. “He seems like he will make a wonderful father.”

“Yes,” I agreed. “He will.”

“I bet he doesn’t even worry about hardly knowing his own father.”

“No, he doesn’t…” I trailed off and kept my face perfectly neutral, but my mind was reeling. How in the galaxy did Hano know that Vader was Luke’s father? It wasn’t something he or Leia kept secret, but it wasn’t something that the majority of the galaxy knew, either. For all everyone knew, Luke’s father was Anakin Skywalker, the hero of the Clone Wars.

But Hano had said that Luke “hardly knew” his father…which would imply that she knew his true parentage.

And my suspicions about Rida Hano suddenly grew tenfold.

I excused myself; even though I was supposed to be watching her, I could no longer keep a straight face in front of her. I wanted to ask other information, like how she came to hear of the mission to Outbound Flight, but I could do that later. I had to tell Luke this piece of information.

I hurried away, and could feel Hano’s gaze on my back the entire time.

Two days later, the Chaf Envoy arrived at Outbound Flight.

Luke and I were at the command station observation deck when we came out of hyperspace. The dreadnaughts had crashed into a small planetoid with little atmosphere and gravity. The six ships were perched on the edge of a cliff, the evidence of battle clear on the hulls. Only three could be seen; apparently the other dreadnaughts had settled beneath the scree that covered the hills and valleys. How they made it here after Thrawn’s attack was anyone’s guess. Formbi believed that Thrawn had the vessels towed here, although I believed otherwise.

I maintained a calm exterior as we approached the planetoid; inside I was anything but. Palpatine had done this—had ordered the death of fifty thousand people. Thrawn might have pulled the trigger, but Palpatine had ordered Outbound Flight’s destruction, just to get rid of a few Jedi. Almost like a test run before he got rid of the rest.

Even after so long, the extent of Palpatine’s vileness never ceased to disturb me. Luke always pointed out that was a good thing.

The Chaf Envoy landed on a small hill next to the exposed dreadnaught. Crewers ran a transfer tube between the Chiss ship and the dreadnaught’s docking bay. After an hour, we were ready to go inside. In the end it was Fel, LaRone and his team, Formbi, Drask, Hano, Jinzler, and Luke and I who made the trip.

After that discussion in the observation room, I immediately told Luke about Hano’s slip of the tongue. He was very interested, of course, but still believed that Jinzler was our saboteur. Perhaps he was right, and Jinzler was involved—but I knew that I was right, too. There was something wrong about Hano.

She seemed stoic as we gathered around the docking tube but I could feel her mind racing. I only got small glimpses of her mindset; either the Nephro were hard to read in general, or she just had strong natural shields.

Or perhaps she wasn’t Nephro at all, but some other species that were unable to be influenced by the Force. I suppressed a chuckle as I entertained the fact that she was actually a Hutt in disguise.

With barely a word, our small group traveled precariously through the dreadnaught’s docking tube, the airlock, and then into a wide corridor. And then things got really interesting as Luke reached out and grabbed my arm. I met his gaze, ready to ask him what was wrong, when I sensed it, too.

“What is the matter?” Formbi asked, seeing our silent exchange.

“It’s Outbound Flight,” Luke said, his voice tight. “We’re not alone, Aristocra Formbi. There are survivors onboard.”

The gasps were evident. “Survivors?” Fel said, his voice concerned. “Are you certain?”

Luke and I both nodded. I could sense them—hundreds of human minds, somewhere deep beneath us. “Yes,” I answered. “We can sense them.”

Drask was immediately on alert, wanting to call in more Chiss soldiers to investigate the ship. But Luke calmly pointed out that the survivors might not take kindly to armed Chiss soldiers approaching them. Formbi agreed and we moved onward toward the survivors.

Luke was up front with Fel and the four stormtroopers while I held up the rear with LaRone. Stretching himself deep into the Force, Luke guided us toward the survivors. They were clustered around the center of the dreadnaught, in what I thought was one of the common areas. It was hard to tell how many of them there were on the ship, but the colony seemed to have grown to a rather impressive size after forty years.

Suddenly Luke held up his arm and we came to a stop. “Mara, can you come here for a second?” he called out.

I hurried forward, passing by a rather annoyed-looking General Drask. He was not happy about deferring command of the mission to the Jedi in order for us to better locate the survivors. “What’s up?”

Luke pulled me close and whispered in my ear. “Do you sense anything different?”

I closed my eyes, falling deeper into the Force, and nodded. “They’re on the move.”

“It’s only a small group. But they’re heading our way.”

My eyes snapped up. “You think there's danger?”

Luke shook his head. “Not at all. Do you?”

“No.” I closed my eyes again. “I sense…anticipation.”

“Me, too.”

“Would the Jedi be so kind as to tell us what’s going on?” General Drask said tersely.

Luke suppressed a sigh. “A group of survivors is headed our way.”

Drask’s hand strayed toward his charric weapon. “They must be monitoring us.” He glanced around, eyes falling on several holocams throughout the corridor.

“No,” Luke said. I could tell by the look on his face that something important had just happened. “That’s not it at all.” He looked to me again. “Do you sense it?”

“No.”

“Follow me.” He took my hands in his and began to breath deeply. I felt him stretch out to me in the Force and I grabbed hold of his presence. It was strange that, in the middle of this crazy mission, I was reminded of all our training sessions at the Jedi Academy. He had always been a wonderful teacher, and even after two years of marriage and three years of Knighthood, he continued to help me grow in the Force.

I sensed Drask’s annoyance growing but pushed it aside. Slowly, Luke’s presence in the Force drifted away, through the dreadnaught’s corridors and down turbolifts until we came upon what he was leading me to find—the survivors. They were a group of five, with benevolent intentions, but I was only focused on one particular presence…a presence that was also reaching out to us in the Force.

I gasped and let out a Huttese curse that would definitely have to be eradicated from my vocabulary once the baby arrived.

“What’s going on?” Drask demanded.

“What’s going on,” Luke answered in measured tones, “is that there is a Jedi approaching us.”

“Another Jedi?” Drask’s eyes narrowed. “Is that possible?”

“It was a Jedi mission,” I pointed out, “and there were Jedi onboard. It’s theoretically possible that some survived Thrawn’s attack.”

“Can you sense anything about the Jedi?” Jinzler asked. He seemed jittery.

Luke shook his head. “Mara?”

“Me neither.” I gave Jinzler a pointed look. “What’s your interest?”

Jinzler blinked. “I’m just curious.”

“Sure.” And suspicious as hell. Maybe Luke was right after all. Hano, on the other hand, seemed excited by this new development.

“Should we continue on, or wait for them to come to us?” Fel asked, recapturing my focus.

“Continue on,” Luke said without thinking. “They might get suspicious if we seem like we’re holding back.”

Following Luke’s lead, we continued on. I fell back to walk beside LaRone. Long ago I had seen him in stormtrooper armor, but it was almost disconcerting to see him wear that uniform now. Yet at the same time it was somewhat comforting. I was reminded of how easy it had been to work with LaRone and the other members of the Hand of Judgment. They’d been an efficient group, following orders without question and taking initiative when necessary. The Jedi Order was plenty efficient, but the entity we served—the New Republic—was not. Once again I wondered if it was possible to have a benevolent Empire.

I shrugged my shoulders. Whether it was possible or not, it didn’t matter. I was a Jedi, wife, and mother-to-be. My Imperial past was long behind me.

I caught another glimpse of LaRone out of the corner of my eye, his armor gleaming in the dark corridor and blaster rifle held with precision. Okay, perhaps that past was actually beside me, rather than behind me.

After several minutes of walking Luke called for us to stop again. We were approaching a turbolift and I knew immediately why we’d halted. The survivors were on their way up.

It wasn’t long before the door opened and five humans—two females and three males—stepped out of the lift. They were all middle aged, approximately fifty to seventy years old, which meant they’d all been alive during Outbound Flight’s destruction.

One of the women stepped forward, wearing a nondescript tunic and pants that closely resembled Jedi attire. Her long, curly brown hair was pulled back at the nape of her neck. Lines and wrinkles adorned her face, but she still felt youthful in the Force. And now, with her standing in front of me, I could sense it quite clearly—she was definitely the Force user we’d felt earlier.

“Hello,” she said, her voice soft and delicate but not at all weak. “Who are you?”

“I am Aristocra Formbi of the Chiss Ascendancy,” Formbi said, inclining his head. “With me are representatives from the Empire of the Hand and the New Republic. We come in peace.”

I nearly groaned at the clichéd line, but I supposed it was important for Formbi to point out that little detail so we didn’t start a firefight.

Formbi looked like he was going to speak further but Luke interrupted him, his eyes locked onto the woman—actually, the weapon clipped to the woman’s belt. “Are you a Jedi?”

The woman turned her attention to Luke. “Who are you?” she asked again.

Smart, not wanting to give away her secrets before she got ours.

Luke held out his hand. “I am Luke Skywalker, a Jedi Master.”

The woman’s face blossomed into a grin. She accepted Luke’s handshake. “Yes, I am a Jedi. My name is Callista Masana.

“Welcome to Outbound Flight.”

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice reflections on Mara's part about Larone, the Hand of Judgment and the shortcomings of the New Republic. [face_thinking] The question about Imperial beneveloence is compelling - it can start that way but it never stays that way [face_thinking] :p

Aha, JM77!!!!!!!!!! So here we find a Callista ;) - but not one precisely like the Callista of Children of the Jedi. And since Luke is with Mara, she won't have the nails on chalkboard effect [face_laugh]

:p

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! You just had to do that!:mad: I was really enjoying the story until the last line. :(

:p

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The woman?s face blossomed into a grin. She accepted Luke?s handshake. ?Yes, I am a Jedi. My name is Callista Masana.

BLAHHH! It was extremely interesting... up until that point. JK :p

As long as she doesn't come onto Luke, I won't be to mean to you on the subject of the bodysnacher (well, I guess she's not a body snatcher in this fic).

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oooh, my poor Lukie! He can come sleep in my bed. [face_batting] I won't push him out. [face_mischief]

Very interesting that Mara's dreams are morphing. [face_thinking] Maybe Luke should sleep with a helmet on, just in case. :p

Mara's convo with Rida was very interesting. Just how does Rida know all these things that she seems to know? A Hutt in disguise??? That's some disguise!!

And that ending!!! But I have no ill will toward this Callista. She is not a body-snatching fiend. She seems to have gotten the better end of the deal in this AU, anyway.... well, no hot Farmboy loving.... argh, did I just say that??? [face_sick] Anyway, I'm very interested to see where you go with this... :D :D :D

Moar???? [face_batting]

14. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Aw, poor Luke, getting pushed out of bed! :( And weird dreams...Do us all a favor, Mara, and don't sleep wth your lightsaber. :p

More puzzle peices falling into place. That one gal seems to know an awful lot about Luke and Mara. Hmmm...suspicious. Very suspicious. [face_thinking]

Again, loving the Luke/Mara interaction. [face_love] It's all so real and so IC I feel like I know those two like family. And yes, Luke will never stop being a Farmboy. That's why we all love him. [:D]

Callista? We knew it was coming, but if I may quote Luke.... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Let's hope she's actually an honest Jedi in this one not a body-snatching hag. [face_worried]

15. PadmeSkywalkerSHM

PadmeSkywalkerSHM Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 25, 2010
    Mara's dreams are really confusing me. They seem like they are going to be really important somehow. For some reason I have this feeling she's going to go all sith on us, probably trying to kill Luke.

CALLISTA!!!! Definitely making this story more interesting. Maybe if Mara goes all sith she can torture Callista slowly. Not that I'd want that to happen of course... Just saying that it would add more action, suspense, and drama.

I can't wait for the next update!!!!!

16. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm finding Rida more and more unsettling o_O and I'm still concerned about Mara's dreams.

So Callista went with the Outbound Flight [face_thinking] This is quite a change to her life.

17. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    ... Callista?! :eek: Awaaaa...

18. wbsaw

wbsaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2008
    Ok;
    Now that was unexpected.
    Whats the deal with Callista Ming vs Masana anyway? All the profic I read, and I have read Children of the Jedi, called her Ming.
    It seems all fanfic AUs calls her Masana.
    Now, an ALIVE, fully trained Jedi at Outbound Flight? In SQ the point was all had been killed -by the Chiss or Imperial, I don't remember. PLUS the survivors hated the Jedi and quaranteened all the force sensitive children. If Callista is loose then ALot of things are different here!!

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think Wookiepedia has her real name as Callista Masana. When she took over Cray Mingla's body I start seeing her being called Callista Ming.

20. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Yay. Finally got Internet back. Well, this was an interesting chapter. I suspect Jinzler will be ... somewhat disappointed. Though it is interesting to note that Callista could have more than easily been positioned on this ship during the Project and Hano almost slipped up.

Almost. Let's see where this goes. :)

21. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    Wow! That was an evil cliffhanger - you've got me totally hooked though. ;)
    Is it just me or is Hano being reckless? Either she thinks that our favorite Jedi are stupid, or you have a completely unexpected plot twist that has something to do with her (knowing your stories I think it's the second option :D). Can't wait for an update!

22. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

I love seeing Luke and Mara as a team! Hano has me on edge...I can't figure her out...hmmm. Great work as always!

23. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I think that Luke WANTED for Mara to have had a relationship with LaRone, because that would have been part of normal teenage years. The fact that she was not even allowed to consider the fact is much more disturbing to him.
    That would be perfectly in character! Luke would be very unselfish - but it might still sting him a little ;)

YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER.

The voice in my head spurs me back to the present, as it always does. It reminds me of my purpose, of my sacred duty. My master may be dead, but I am not. And I will keep fighting until my last command as the Emperor?s Hand is finally completed.

Oops...[face_worried]

I jumped, startled at the presence of a person next to me in bed, especially his presence. Rage boiled up inside of me and I reacted on pure instinct. I grabbed his arm with both hands and pushed as hard I as could, reaching out into the Force for assistance.
    Oooooooooops....[face_skull]

And they?re getting?different.?

?Good different or bad different??

I shrugged my shoulders. ?Good, I think. I?m not dying, at least. And I seem to be getting the upper hand in the duel. But
    ??
    Perfect dialogue!!!! [face_dancing] =D=

I cringed at the words, and could hardly believe that I was being so open. Maybe it was the whole pregnancy thing. Or maybe I was just growing up. Perish the thought.
    :p [:D]

I let him whisper soothing words to me, knowing that it made him feel better about the situation. And if I was being completely honest with myself, it made me feel better, too. Plus, it was always nice to be held by him.

See? Pregnancy hormones
    LOVE THIS!!!! [:D] [face_blush]

?Perhaps we should meditate, and try to figure out if your shifting dreams mean something.?
    [face_laugh] Yeah, that was his solution to everything wasn't it? ;)

I?m going to check our messages; see if Karrde has any information on Hano or Jinzler. You are going to investigate the welcome room, specifically that banner. With us coming up on the command station, the Chiss will be preoccupied.?

Luke grinned. ?I knew there was a reason I married you.?

I pulled a fresh tunic over my head, and grinned back at him. ?Funny; you said the same thing the other night.?

Luke scowled and tossed my cloak at my head
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Luke looked back to the viewport, awe on his still-youthful face. I always loved that about him?that no matter how many things he?d seen and accomplished, he remained that wide-eyed farm boy from Tatooine.
    Which is why we allow you to have him, Mara ;)

?You must feel honored, too, as the wife of the Jedi Master.?

I snorted. ?Nah, he?s the one who should be honored.?

Hano looked confused at first, then chuckled. ?Oh, you are being humorous. I understand
    .?
    Tsk, tsk ... I see there's so cultural differneces that need to be overcome...:p

Still, Hano certianly know a lot - but she seemed pretty nice here [face_plain]

And then enter - Callista...
    Tadadadaaah...

But I need to reimd myself taht she's a actually a sympathetic Jedi character first - and may never become anthing else... What am I saying? She won't have a chance when Mara's around... or...??? [face_worried]

24. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Jade eyes: The question about Imperial beneveloence is compelling - it can start that way but it never stays that way

Yes, and deep inside Mara knows this, but it's hard for her not to feel some kind of nostalgia.

Aha, JM77!!!!!!!!!! So here we find a Callista - but not one precisely like the Callista of Children of the Jedi. And since Luke is with Mara, she won't have the nails on chalkboard effect

I hope not! My goal is to make you all like Callista. We'll see the extent of my writing abilities there. [face_laugh]

Jedi Lover: Sorry!

Briannakin: As long as she doesn't come onto Luke, I won't be to mean to you on the subject of the bodysnacher (well, I guess she's not a body snatcher in this fic).

She's not a bodysnatcher! She's a marooned Jedi. And you'll get her story in the next chapter.

Considering she's 65 in this fic and Luke is 32, I think he's safe. Unless Callista is a cougar!

ginchy: Sorry, he's arleady in mine! ;)

Maybe Luke should sleep with a helmet on, just in case.

Haha, his X-wing helmet would work! Yum...

Mara's convo with Rida was very interesting. Just how does Rida know all these things that she seems to know?

Yes, how does she know, indeed? [face_thinking]

Moar????

Soon. :) [:D]

JainaSoloYJK: Aw, poor Luke, getting pushed out of bed! And weird dreams...Do us all a favor, Mara, and don't sleep wth your lightsaber.

Ha! You know for a while, she probably slept with a blaster under her pillow. Thankfully she's gotten just a bit more trusting. :)

Again, loving the Luke/Mara interaction. It's all so real and so IC I feel like I know those two like family. And yes, Luke will never stop being a Farmboy. That's why we all love him.

Thank you! I love them together. And apart. But especially together. [face_love]

Callista? We knew it was coming, but if I may quote Luke.... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Let's hope she's actually an honest Jedi in this one not a body-snatching hag.

She is! I promise. You'll see. ;)

PadmeSkywalker: Mara's dreams are really confusing me. They seem like they are going to be really important somehow. For some reason I have this feeling she's going to go all sith on us, probably trying to kill Luke.

Nooooo, Mara wanting to kill Luke is reserved for my other fic. ;) There's much less angst in this one!

CALLISTA!!!! Definitely making this story more interesting. Maybe if Mara goes all sith she can torture Callista slowly. Not that I'd want that to happen of course... Just saying that it would add more action, suspense, and drama.

There will be no torturing of Callista in this fic! She's just a poor, lonely Jedi. :(

Hazel: I'm finding Rida more and more unsettling and I'm still concerned about Mara's dreams.

Good. [face_mischief]

So Callista went with the Outbound Flight This is quite a change to her life.

Yes! I thought it would have been an interesting AU. We'll see if you agree! [face_worried]

Curtis: Yes! Callista. :)

wbsaw: Whats the deal with Callista Ming vs Masana anyway? All the profic I read, and I have read Children of the Jedi, called her Ming.
    It seems all fanfic AUs calls her Masana.

Jedi Lover is right. Her original name was Callista Masana. After she took Cray Mingla's body, she used the surname Ming.

As for the other questions - all will be revealed in the next chapter. But yes, things are very different on Outbound Flight.

darth treyvah: I suspect Jinzler will be ... somewhat disappointed.

Poor guy. :(

We will see. :)

Mondra: Evil cliffhanger? MOI?!?!

Is it just me or is Hano being reckless? Either she thinks that our favorite Jedi are stupid, or you have a completely unexpected plot twist that has something to do with her (knowing your stories I think it's the second option

Ag

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What single 65 year old woman wouldn't become a cougar to catch that 32 year old sexy farmboy!!! I would!!:p But if she did I think Mara would have a cougar head mounted over the fireplace mantle before long! [face_laugh] :p

I can see Luke wanting to talk until the wee hours of the night with a real life Old Republic Jedi Master and that irritating Mara. She may not be jealous in the normal way, but she may be put out that her husband is spending so much time with somebody other than her.

I look forward to reading more.