main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Wanting To Know... (L/M, Post-TLC) (update 2/16)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DaenaBenjen42, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    JediFalcon: Okay... Thank you. :)

Jade_eyes: Happy to bring it to you, then. Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

~*~*~*~

Iris was sitting at the nurses station, inputting patient information when someone cleared their throat and got her attention. She looked up from the screen to find her nephew standing there with a smirk on his face. She studied him for a long moment before drawing a definite conclusion. "You commed her."

"Of course," he told her, still smirking his head off.

"And you woke your mother up again, didn't you?"

"Yes."

Iris sighed. "Darvis, that wasn't why I wanted you to comm her, you know."

Darvis leanded closer. "Iris, Father told me to comm often."

"And now I owe him twenty credits."

"What?"

"He and I had a wager... You forgetting the time difference every time you call home. So far, I'm losing."

Darvis was silent for a long moment as he thought that through. "Oh. Sorry."

"Don't be. At least you call your mother on a regular basis... I'll just bet that Moira doesn't mind being woken up at 0200 if it's you."

"You'll get the chance to ask her that."

"Good. Maybe I will... Staying long?"

Darvis shook his head. "No. Need to get back to headquarters."

Iris nodded and watched as he walked away. Her family was amusing at times... this was one of those. Shaking her head, Iris returned to the patient's chart.

~*~*~*~

Ranko glanced at Susan curiously as the meeting broke up and everyone gathered themselves up. She'd handed a piece of paper over and the exact coordinates of the beacon call were startling. "Are you sure?"

"No, but if the call came from there..." Susan shrugged.

"Funny."

"Usually." Susan nudged Ranko's arm with her free hand. The one that wasn't holding Victoria. Victoria... named for her father who had died before her birth. "You be careful, big sister."

"Careful is not our business, you know."

"Not the point and you know it... and I'll harangue Savage if you need her."

Ranko laughed and waved Peter off when he glanced at her questioningly from across the room. "Just tell her that I threatened to fry Thunder's mainframe for incentive. She'll know what that means."

"Um-hmm... In case of emergency, break glass. Have no fear..."

"That's all I seem to have right now, Sue... How you holding up?"

"We're not talking about that, remember?"

Ranko shook her head at the non-answer, wanting to probe some more. "Yes. That bad?"

"Been better."

Ranko put a hand on her younger sister's arm and they locked eyes, Ranko wanting a straight answer and finding one in eyes that couldn't lie to her... they were family, and she knew her like a book. Then, satisfied, she nodded, released Susan's arm, and began to walk away. "Keep the comms open."

"Was just about to say the same thing to you, you lightning rod."

Ranko snorted, glad to know that, whatever she may have been feeling inside, Susan was, in fact, handling it quite well. "Will do."

"Good."

~*~*~*~

Moira slowly packed a bag, wondering if she even really needed to. It wasn't as if she knew a thing besides what she kept seeing in her sleep and in waking dreams, after all.

What kind of help could she provide, anyway? These were people she knew, yes, but it had been thirty or so years since she'd last seen or heard from them. So much had changed in that time... she had changed. The galaxy had changed.

Did it matter if she packed a bag?

Sighing, Moira stood up and looked around the room. Seeing the box with the beacon call perched on top of it, lit up like a holiday tree at Solstice time, she shook her head. On the dresser next to the beacon call on all sides were holos... family. Her son, her parents... her husband.

She skirted around the bed to get a closer look, and frowned as her resolve hardened into an almost palpable thing. Maybe she didn't need to pack a bag, but on the off chance that it was needed, that was what she was going to do.

Taking some more clothes out of the dresser, Moira returned to packing.

After all, it never hurt to be prepared for the unknown.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed that... yes twice in one day is a bit much LOL

3. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007

"How are the children and how are you and Han?"

"Same as we were a few hours ago, Luke. We're all fine here."

"That's good."

"Luke?"

"Yes?"

"Twice in one day is a little much."

"You said frequently."

"Within reason."

He smiled. "Tomorrow, then?"

"Yes. Tomorrow."

Hee! This was so cute! [face_love] I'd be the one who called too much, LOL. :p
    Great update!! :)[:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Loved Luke and Mara in this so cute

And Leia's right, twice in one day is a bit much. I can't wait for more [:D]

5. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    A/N: was running parallel to Ever and Always, and now I skipped over the battle sequence. Picking it up again on Tatooine? and the first scene is from UDC 3, Week 4.

Jade_eyes: Thank you. :)

dancing_star: I think I would, too, really? Thank you, star. :)

JediFalcon: Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

They were walking amid the sand dunes when Mara felt Luke stiffen slightly beneath her hand. As she moved to ask, an answer came in the form of a lowing animal, far-off in the desert. It almost seemed like the wind had carried the sound directly to them. ?Luke??

?Bantha,? he muttered, as if to himself.

She frowned at his tone as she turned to look at him. There was something there? primal and unknown, but there. She hadn?t heard him use that kind of a tone before. ?Are you all right??

He nodded slowly. ?It?s nothing, Mara.?

?Really??

The question hung between them for a long moment until Luke turned to her, an old pain clearly in his eyes. ?They day I left Tatooine, there were Banthas? and Sand People? and Dewbacks outside the cantina.?

Mara wasn?t sure what to make of that statement as she looked back at him, taking in the pain that she could feel through their bond as well as see in his eyes? and then she began to put the pieces together in her mind. He?d left after something terrible? Wordlessly, she pulled him into her arms. He?d lost so much that day...

?At least there weren?t any Eopies,? Luke said after they?d stood there a while, tickling her ear with his breath.

Not wanting to let go, she frowned down at Dark Star, who was watching them with what appeared to be curiosity. ?What?s an Eopie??

At that, Luke snickered. Then he chuckled. Then, unable to contain himself, he outright laughed and pulled gently out of the embrace to sit down on the sand.

Mara stared down at him. ?Eopies are funny??

That, plus the befuddled expression on her face, just set him off again. ?Oh, you have no idea!?

?Um? right??

Mara sat down next to him as he slowly sobered, and Dark Star climbed into her lap. ?So, really? what is an Eopie??

?Sort of a pack animal, really,? Luke said as he reached over and scratched behind Dark Star?s ears. ?The Tauntaun?s on Hoth reminded me of them, a little??

She nodded, waiting for him to continue, and frowned again when he didn?t. Looking at him, he seemed really focused on the feline in her lap, and Mara decided to let that one be. She did want to know why a Tauntaun reminded him of desert pack animals, though?

?It wasn?t the Tauntaun,? he said suddenly, startling her. At Mara?s unspoken question, he answered, ?It was what happened to the Tauntaun.?

?And?? Mara asked, probing for more. ?What happened to the Tauntaun??

Luke looked away again, a distant expression on his face. ?I??

?Don?t,? Mara told him, and he looked at her in question. She slowly cupped his cheek and smiled comfortingly. ?You don?t have to tell me now, Luke. When you?re ready, and not before.?

Luke nodded, and together the three of them enjoyed some quiet, although warm, time before they needed to rejoin the group to leave?

~*~*~*~

As they neared the group who were conversing as they sat together on the sand in the afternoon Tatooine sunlight, Luke stopped walking and turned to Mara. ?It was a Wampa.?

Mara?s eyes narrowed as she tilted her head in question. ?A Wampa??

?You wanted to know what happened to the Tauntaun,? Luke reminded her. He wanted to look away, but willed himself to keep looking into her eyes. Living it was one thing, but explaining it to someone else? Hard. ?Hadn?t really thought about it since, but??

?Ah,? Mara said after a few moments of silence. She gently traced the faint scars on his cheek with her finger, at once understanding the story behind them. ?So that?s how these happened.?

?Yes,? Luke admitted, his voice echoing strongly with the long ago memory into the slight wind blowing around them.

Mara smiled softly, glad to have the avenue of communication open and be learning something new about him. ?Thank you for telling me, Luke.?

6. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Loved the interaction between Luke and Mara and how they're beginning to really open up to each other. Can't wait for more :)

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Daena, that was too sweet. You convey so much in your dialogue. Mara being supportive is so natural and delightful. And Luke?s always adorable LOL A very melty read. :D Hugs!!!

8. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Lovely. [face_love] That was just so beautiful and sweet!! :* @};- You have a really nice writing style, and I agree about you conveying so much through dialogue. Wonderful post, as always! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

9. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    JediFalcon: Thank you. :) (It?s official? I now have cause to blush. March?!? [face_blush] )

Jade_eyes: Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

A/N: I spent months deciding on this section of story... and you know what? It works and I like it, so in it goes. (And this is version six or so. The first five were... a progression. Yeah... progression sounds good.) This is a combined update with the writer's workshop story "So they met in a bar" and was... shall we say weird and fun to write? Because it was. That disclaimer said... Enjoy. :)

Elidar...

Susan couldn't help but stare at the readout on the computer screen, disbelief flooding through her mind as the ramifications and complications of what it meant totally and completely hit home. She knew, without a doubt in her mind, what had caused them to be called in by Moira. She knew what the anomaly was.

As she stood up and moved to look out a window that viewed the practice field where Taloh was leading Van Ree through more exercises with Na Omi's help, she shook her head. It should have been impossible. Totally, utterly impossible for the anomaly to exist at all. But, as she was learning the longer life went on... nothing was. Not one thing.

As she retook her seat at the computer and stared at it some more while her cousins teased each other and Jessica let Vincent take a seat before heading off to get some sleep, Susan knew she didn't have to say anything. Not one word to either of them about what she'd found. Did it really concern them? No, no it really didn't.

Pushing away from the desk that had practically become a second home for a week and a half, she both took a moment to stretch, and also set her screen to password lock so no one else would see.

Vincent, fresh from an eight hour nap, turned and frowned as he saw her start to walk away. "Taking a break, Sue?"

Susan smiled at him, praying that he wouldn't see anything off in her mannerisms. "Need to go see Vicky."

He laughed. "Go, then. Find anything?"

"Nothing of import."

She'd nearly made it to the door when he said something that made her pause. "You can't lie to me, Susan. I saw you put it to password lock."

She sighed and looked back at him, making a note to herself to have a long talk with her uncle about how well trained his son was that he'd pick up on something so subtle. "You got me. I want to look into it... and see Vicky, too."

"Bad?"

"Define 'bad', cousin."

He nodded and waved her out with a motion of his hand. "I'll be here when you get back. Eager for details, if there are any."

Susan sighed and left the lounge after snagging the back up flashdrive from her workstation, kicking herself for not having been more subtle.

~*~*~*~

Carnegie glanced up from the report she was reading to find Susan standing in the doorway of her office, appearing... panicked and intrigued at the same time. "You know, the last time anyone looked at me like that, it was Aniya. Please tell me there isn't a 'we need to save everyone' dimensional theory ramble in the offing."

"It's not going to be that," Susan told her, smiling slightly. "I just need permission to check something out and I want to run something by you. Because... I think I know what the anomaly was that resulted in us being called in, but it's impossible, or should be, and I have to make certain it's correct before I say word one to anyone else."

Carnegie frowned at her for a minute or two, sorting through that rambling babble in her head. "And... why do you need my permission for that?"

Susan entered and closed the door soundly behind herself, then turned around and leaned against it. "Because you are the last Planetary Guardian of Remykia, Cara, and I can't talk about this kind of thing with anyone else."

Carnegie continued to frown. "Technically, I'm not. I carry the power of my world, but..."

"You know what I mean." Susan moved and sank down into the chair in front of the desk. "And this is no time for technical

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed that a lot. Why do you think I enjoyed the snuggling in the lounge the most? [face_laugh] ;)

[:D]

11. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    ["I'm pretty sure Luke and Mara aren't,"] Melinda told her gleefully. ["They're having themselves a moment in the lounge. Or were ten minutes ago."]

"Oh. Good."

~*~*~*~

Mara didn't want to move, she was so comfortable in his embrace. "Luke?"

"Hmm?"

"Think we could just stay in the lounge all day? I'm comfy." Well, she reflected as he kissed her, the only really comfortable thing was being in his arms. The chairs were kind of hard.

"We could, but I think they might want to use the lounge at some point," Luke teased her. He didn't want to move, either.

"Worth a thought, though, isn't it?" Whatever he'd been going to say was lost to both of them being startled as an orange flash lit up the lounge and deposited Susan in front of them.

Susan looked around, and then winced as she saw the startled expressions on their faces. "Sorry." She nodded once, and left quickly.

Mara looked at him, eyebrows raised. "Think that was intentional?"

"No. Interesting mode of transport, though."

"Weird?"

"Definitely."

Mara banished all thoughts of weirdness as she kissed him again, and then settled in to enjoy the quiet before anything else happened. Not that it would... she hoped.

[face_love] So glad to see this updated as well. [face_dancing] Wonderful chapter and looking forward to more! =D=[:D]

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    excellent update loved the lounge scene [face_love] can't wait for more

13. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: And guess which part resonates somewhere else... it is (and isn't) Luke and Mara's moment in the lounge. ;) Thank you, Jade_eyes. [:D]

JediFalcon: Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.