main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Weblink added

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by motf-jan, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Hello all,
    I have updated the Dagobah Swamp Foxes website to include a link to the Hothlanta Rebels and a couple other websites in the South. We'd appreciate it if you could return the favor.

We too are planning on going to SW's Weekends on May 16th. It would be great if we could coordinate some kind of get together for FanForce groups going that weekend.

Thanks,
    Janet

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey Janet! :)

I'll speak with the Hothlanta Rebels webmistress about adding a link to your chapter's site to our website. Thanks for adding our link to your site. :)

Unfortunately, I will not be attending Star Wars weekends, but several of our members do plan on making the drive down to the Orlando area. I'm sure they would love to find a way to get together with fellow Southeast region FanForce folks. :)

3. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Hello Janet! I am coordinating the Hothlanta Rebels venture to SW Weekends. We are setting up our "Echo Base" at the Best Western in Disney Village. We got a decent rate of $80 per night through Expedia.com. Some of our members on a tight budget are staying at a Motel 6 near Disney as well. We are departing on Friday morning and heading home on Sunday. Our plans are to go out to Downtown Disney on Friday evening, as it is less than a mile from the hotel. There are tons of restaurants, theaters and shops right near by.

When does your group plan to head out? Perhaps we could coordinate our caravan to coincide with yours?

4. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    We are tentitively planning on coming down Friday and leaving Sunday, but we may change to Thursday night and hang around on Friday. Krista and I are staying somewhere in Disney(She has a friend that works there, what can I say?) We have a meeting next Friday and we'll see who is going and when and where they are staying and let you know.
    Downtown Disney is definitely doable for sure that will be a blast!

Thanks,
    Janet

5. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi,
    I live in Florida and plan on going to this weekend at MGM for SW weekend. I would like to be of help to you travelers from another system. I would also like to meet with you and will work on getting some of the Tamapbay FF members to come that weekend. I know my way around and can probabaly help anyone who need sit. Please send the info. to me at my email or to the Tamapabay FF forum.
    Thanks,
    Marie-aka-Sereana Knightstar
    mrankin@tampabay.rr.com

6. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Thanks for your offer of help, Marie. :)

7. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Our Charleston group is definitely up for a Friday night meeting at Pleasure Island! We definitely have to get together here in the South.

Janet

8. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi Sereana Knightstar here, I would like to get in contact with the person in charge of the MGM trip so I can send some contact info. I know I would like to meet and welcome you folks to Florida. I will help in any way that I can to make your trip go well and there are a lot of things to do. I go to Orlando several times a year and my daughter now lives there. I hope we can network and I am also planning to make the trek to the Con in August. So I can use some info. about Atlanta since this is my first real trip there and not just a plane change in the airport. Please contact me privately if you wish at mrankin@tampabay.rr.com.
    Thanks,
    Marie Rankin

9. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Hey Marie,

I'll let Ian know you're looking for him.

As for coming to Atlanta, what would you like to know? We've had others ask about this before.

10. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi Rosie,
    Not sure yet, I do want to go to the Coke museum and may need to visit a friend in Ft. Benning? Is that close ? Also where to find a good tourist map of the city central and local transportation and cheap parking. That's it so far, plan to do so time at the FF booth and rest these old dogs of mine.
    later,
    Marie

11. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, if you want to see all the downtown stuff (like World of Coke), then the convention is one stop away on MARTA (our rail system). CNN Center and Centennial Olympic Park can be walked to from there (Underground), or you can get back on MARTA one stop on the east line.

The rest of the touristy stuff like Stone Mountain Park pretty much needs a car.

You can go to the Atlanta Visitor's Bureau for more information on the touristy stuff:
    http://www.atlanta.net/visitors/index.asp

As for parking? I don't stay overnight at the con, so I couldn't tell you that situation. But from what I know of overnight parking places, I would suggest you park at the hotel; even though it's more expensive. If you're not at a convention hotel and driving in every day, there are some $5 lots, but you should have exact change with you. Or you can park at one of the MARTA stations and commute in.

As for a good map? If you belong to AAA, then you can get them free from them. Otherwise, you can probably find a map of Atlanta in the major bookstores in their travel section.

Hope this helps. Do others want to add anything?

12. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I think you've covered just about everything.

I commute in to the con every day and I park in parking decks that are about 1 block away from the convention hotels. The price varies, depending on which parking deck you are in. I usually pay from $5 to $7. If you are staying at one of the convention hotels, pay to park there. It is more expensive, but it is more convenient, and you do not have to worry about walking back to semi-dark parking decks at night.

If you are not staying at a convetion hotel, use MARTA buses or trains. Or, if you are close enough, walk (if you have someone to walk back to the hotel with you at night).

I don't want to make it sound as if Atlanta isn't a safe city, but I do not push my luck anywhere I go.

13. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Thanks guys that really helps a whole lot. We will have a car and can walk the block or so. I am planning on bringing my rolling suitcase to put goodys in, as I am a collector, plus with Kevin's 2 boys, extra clothes and such. The MARTA sounds great and I can usually get around on the underground. Thanks so much for the info. Hope to see some of you in Orlando or Atlanta.
    Marie

14. red_rose

red_rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Hey Janet,
    Sorry it took so long. Life other than Star Wars has kept me busy but I've finally added the SwampFox link to our links page on the Hothlanta Rebels website.
    Cool site!
    Ciao,
    Sharon, HR Webmistress

15. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Thanks for taking care of that Sharon. :)

16. red_rose

red_rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    No problemo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.