main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Well, they're going to do it at last

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    "Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

Edited to add that starwarsshop.com is already selling a commemorative shirt, with two others to follow. Lord, I would love to be in the Lucasfilm marketing meetings just to see what they're coming up with next.

2. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Maybe they could sell the original theatrical versions of Howard the Duck and Radioland Murders on DVD...

3. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    WOO HOO!! Now maybe I can throw out those old VHS tapes and the pirated DVD copies I got from eBay.

4. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    What I'd like to know is, how much are these going to cost? :p

5. Adrian_Skywalker

Adrian_Skywalker Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Cost I hope they say $49.99 (It could happen?) Looking forward to this.

6. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Sorry to everyone who bought the other DVDs (I didn't) but: Whoooooooo-hooooo! Han shot first! I am soooo happy! :D

7. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yay! Although I'm perfectly happy with the "Special Editions".

8. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    YEAH! I am so happy to hear they are finally doing this for us fans! YEAH! I am happy with my SE versions but will be thrilled with the OT ones. Can you say "Viewing Party"? HAN SHOT FIRST!

As for the cost, I don't care. It's worth whatever they charge. Thanks for the info, VK et al!

9. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I'd rather have a version without the re-done ones, but I'm glad I waited. Now I just have to wait for the Jar-Jar-less prequels.

10. Viceroy Craig

Viceroy Craig Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 1999
    I think the best part about them is that they're being mixed in SUPER HIGH TECH DOLBY 2.0!!!!

11. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Yay for Craig!

12. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Now I know why it was impossible to get onto theforce.net yesterday!!!

WOOHOO!!!!

Of course I'm going to buy these...I have been waiting for them for years.

I saw Star Wars on 5/25/1977 at the Mann's Chinese. THAT is the definitive version for me, not the stupid "special editions" with all kinds of CGI crap ladled on like so much S.O.S. I saw it before the "Episode IV: A New Hope" redesignation.

No more need to try to do a vidcap from my buddy Chad's laserdisc copy. No need to even attempt a vidcap from my VHS Letterboxed copy. Forget every last negative thing I said about Lucas. He finally got it right. We want to see the REAL versions of the movies that changed everything with regards to Science Fantasy on the silver screen.

And yes: HAN SHOT FIRST! And blew Greedo to kingdom come! Yes!

13. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I want all 6 films, SE and original release versions, in a special edition package, in widescreen, Super Duper THX, so that everyone will be satisfied!

14. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I saw this in Entertainment Weekly today, YEA!

I kinda wish it was the Original plus the special edition, rather than the DVD edition, but at least I have my SE tapes still (that was my first edition...and the only thing I really don't like about it is Greedo shooting first). Now the special edition will be the only one not on DVD. :/

15. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    When I first ready your post, ES, I couldn't figure out what you were talking about then I realized that I had forgotten that GL had messed with the SE to make the DVD versions. MAN! This is too much to remember.

16. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Wow!!! This is excellent news!! I can't wait to see the OG OT again!

I'm just reiterating what I said earlier.

I wonder if it's just gonna be a transfer of the Laserdisc version to DVD. It might look pretty crappy if they didn't clean it up like they did for the DVD release.

17. vampireanneke

vampireanneke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2002
    Currently I own...

VHS Boxset Original Trilogy - Fullscreen
    VHS Boxset Special Edition - Widescreen
    VHS Special collector's edition Attack of the Clones
    DVDs all three Prequel Trilogy
    DVD boxset of Original Trilogy (Special Edition) - Widescreen
    DVD boxset of Original Trilogy (Special Edition) - Fullscreen

And somewhere hidden away is VHS copies from TV of Original Trilogy widescreen.

16 actual copies of the 6 films...sigh...

-Emperoress Palpatine

18. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    And of course you're going to buy this one! Yes, you are, I know it :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.